Author Topic: 67ss frame off restoration  (Read 19772 times)

MichiganMan

• View Profile
Re: 67ss frame off restoration
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 12:20:41 PM »
Hey John you have any specific body shop's you have used or know of anyone who could repair the minor rust on this 67 .I took it to a shop here in pontiac they did nothing but try to get the whole car painted (ticked me off) . It really only needs from the shadow line on each side down painted buff out the rest .

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 03:44:32 PM »
Nope - may be difficult to find a shop to only paint it from the bone-line down; most shops don't want to paint only "half a car", especially when it means matching a light color that's faded over the years and then get complaints about the color match.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 07:57:53 PM »
Also, most body shops are in business to do insurance claim work - not restoration work.  A few new parts, some bondo, slap on some new paint and let the hair go with the hide.  An everyday body shop may tell you they'll do your body / paint work, for a reasonable price and in a timely manner, but in most cases your project becomes "fill in" for them to do during any slack time.  Insurance claim work will get preferential treatment every time.

In my opinion, this is clearly the most difficult portion of any restoration project for the average guy who doesn't have connections with those in the body / paint business.  Finding a qualified, willing, and trustworthy shop to do the body / paint (without going to a dedicated restoration facility) is extremely difficult.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:02:50 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 10:55:08 AM »
I agree with John and Rich, fortunately where I live,(Southeast Wisconsin) there are 3 body and paint shops in my home town that have great reputations for restoring "older" cars. One is a complete restoration shop the other two just enjoy working on the older stuff. There is no doubt you have to have trust in someone you have doing major work like metal and paint on one of these cars. Repainting the whole car is the best and the price is not going to be a heck of lot more if you are staying with the original color than repainting and blending a section of the car.  Prepping the car(replacing metal, bondo and blocking) is where the cost is. Fix what you got drive it and enjoy it. The value to me is in the way others look at and admire what you have done to save these cars.

dab67
67 SS350 (Clone)
Royal Plum with White Vinyl roof

Mr12771

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 09:37:49 PM »
dab67 where about are you in "Southeast Wisconsin" ? I live in Racine. I bet I know what shops you're talking about.

Mike

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 12:15:42 AM »
Hey neighbor!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Kenosha, just around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!

dab67