Author Topic: Radiator support  (Read 6708 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Radiator support
« on: September 26, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »
Anyone have a trashed radiator support or know where I can get one of these nuts that came off mine?  The first pic shows what the nut looked like and the second shows kind of what the nut looks like that I am missing.  These were clipped in or spot welded and one of mine is gone and I'm trying to get an original that I can weld back in.  I think this is one of the nuts that hold the radiator in, bottom passenger side.

68Z28

IZRSSS

Re: Radiator support
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »
I can't help you with the original bolt but if all else fails I hear these guys are pretty good. I've been told they make quality parts w/correct markings and that most restorers use them...

http://amkproducts.com/

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:44:24 AM »
The nut in the bottom picture is a CAGE NUT.
http://www.abcorfasteners.com/Cage%20Nuts.htm

I was not aware Chev used ANY cage nuts at all? Thought the rad nuts both were welded type one flush and one in a pocketed area.

JIm
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
The nut in the top pic. is called a pierce nut.  They were used in several places on a '67 Camaro.  And I believe they were used on the Radiator support.  AMK Products does carry them part #B-10558 for the 5/16 size, they are $4 for 6, problem is though AMK requires a $30 minimum order.  I purchased some and I have a couple extras if you're interested e-mail me.  I'll be reasonable on $.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »

I was not aware Chev used ANY cage nuts at all?

They didn't - that's an aftermarket fix.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 04:24:50 AM »

I was not aware Chev used ANY cage nuts at all?

They didn't - that's an aftermarket fix.

That's correct.  I added that as it looked better than what was on it.
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 05:11:09 PM »
So John, do you know how these were affixed to the R.S?  If I can get one from Red, I want to put it back the way it came if possible.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
So John, do you know how these were affixed to the R.S?  If I can get one from Red, I want to put it back the way it came if possible.

"Pierce-nuts" were installed in a press operation with male and female dies; the dies created a rectangular hole and crimped flanges on the ends of the nut over the ends of the hole.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jcfcamaro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »
I have a old support off my 67 rs ss  , don't know if I need it for my repo support or not,  What does this hold ?

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:59:17 AM »
69Zproject>>Top pic. are we looking at the Radiator support from the front?  If so, you will install the AMK Pierce nut from the front, wide part out and narrower part in.  You will probably have to give it a little "LOVE" tap to get it completely in place.  You could just bolt it together at this point.  I would (or did, where I used them) put a heavier Hammer on this wider side, and then "peen" the corners a little on the other side to make a more permanent  fix.  Less chance of the nut coming loose if you would ever take apart again sometime.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »
I haven't looked at this in a while, but I'll probably remember when I see the nut.  I'm going to wait until I get my radiator re done and then I'll replace this missing nut. I've got an original radiator I'm cleaning up to put back in. Thanks much.
68Z28

anything