Author Topic: Brighter Lights  (Read 4369 times)

mjnotto

• View Profile
Brighter Lights
« on: September 25, 2011, 02:51:42 AM »
I have a 67 camaro. I was doing some night driving and the lights are just to dim. There obviously arent any high beams and the lights I currently have just are not going to cut it. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to get brighter lights. HIDs or LEDs or whatever you have as suggestions??

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Brighter Lights
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:25:42 AM »
There obviously arent any high beams...

Why aren't your high beams working?

Ed

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:48:41 AM »
Good question from Ed. If  you have a wiring problem as simple as bad contact that could be your problem. Check that, if it is okay, I'd suggest halogen.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:24:11 AM »
Check your dimmer switch, it may be bad. Lose the old headlights and install halogens. Inspect the entire harness and check all connections and grounds. Test charging system. Put in a Wells VR715 voltage regulator in place of the stock mechanical unit. There are threads on here aboout retaining the factory VR appearance when converting. Install relays to provide full power to the headlights, the stock system does not. Relays and tech info available at Mad Electrical. Or you can make your own relay system. The other site (Team Camaro) has countless threads on relay systems. How far you want to deviate from originality and how well you want to see where you are going is up to you.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:15:27 AM »
LED headlights are available - but very expensive and last time I checked (over a year ago) available from only from one source. 

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=64057&langId=-1

Richard Thomas
1969 RS

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:17:34 PM »
There's a lot to be gained on a 40+year-old car by cleaning up the male and female terminals on the headlight switch, dimmer switch, bulkhead connectors, and headlilght bulb connectors, plus cleaning up the ground connections; every dirty connector that adds resistance to the circuit increases the voltage drop to the headlights.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 04:34:39 AM »
I agree with John. Clean first, then measure the voltage at the battery and compare it to the voltage at the headlight (low and high beams).
Kurt S
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 08:00:24 PM »
Wurth, Loctite, Lucas and others make contact cleaners.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

anything