Author Topic: Mystery part  (Read 13728 times)

L78 steve

• View Profile
Mystery part
« on: September 23, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
What is this part? Is this a coupe piece as they state or a convertible part only?
 http://www.heartbeatcity.com/store/product/21721/Camaro-Quarter-panel--stiffener--LH---69/
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Mystery part
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
I believe that is up under the rear "shoulder". Kind of near the rear window corner? Look up from inside the trunk over the wheel housing area. I think you can see it there.

-Mark.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »
My car doesn't have them and I looked at another 69SS that doesn't have them either.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »
Your part became a mystery because the person who hung the quarters failed to put it back in. It gets spot welded adjacent to the trunk gutter radius and is attached the the outer top part of the quarter using NVH (the same product that is used on new cars between the door skin and side impact bar). The other stiffener left out by people is the one near the rear of the quarter window. It's presence strengthens the apex, which is prone to fatigue cracking caused by torsional stresses. Apexes are weak.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:39:17 AM by KurtS »

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 01:34:17 AM »
Ditto, Sauron.  I'm in the process of replacing Quarters on my '67 Coupe as we speak, and was able to save both of parts you're talking about.  Imagine my surprise when i found a Date code on the little stiffener at the rear corner of the Quarter window.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
Here's that reinforcement on my all-original '69 - you can see it on the left side of the photo, adjacent to the left front corner of the trunk opening; same thing on the right side. If it isn't there, the quarter has been replaced.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »
If you put that part back in do not make the error I have seen another make. Instead of using NVH, they welded the outer portion of the support to the quarter. Unbelievable. Welding one panel to another on their outer portions is incorrect. Jambs and pinchwelds are acceptable. These types of things should always be inspected when purchasing a car. Many do bodywork and make grave procedural and technical errors. You can by NVH at your jobber. Do not use panel adhesive either. If you go to BodyShop Business you can read all about adhesives and NVH. If your car is painted you can install that part without welding. Use panel adhesive on the gutter area attachment point and NVH on the outer portion. My post should have read strengthens the apex, which is prone to fatigue cracking caused by torsional stresses.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »
Would that NVH be the 1/8 in. thick foam like sheet of stuff on the stiffener?  Is that adhesive on both sides?  Where can you get it?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
Scott - Would the top pic be considered factory or after market install (Van Nuys Plant)?

I'm pretty certain the bottom pic is factory.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:29:29 PM by IZRSSS »

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Would that NVH be the 1/8 in. thick foam like sheet of stuff on the stiffener?  Is that adhesive on both sides?  Where can you get it?
Nope, that's not it. There are different types of NVH. You want anti-flutter for the part attached to the outer part of the quarter. You should see what's left of it when you took them off. The inner part gets spot welded. Or in your case plug welded with the option of adhesive. Your jobber has these products.
Read this: http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/Article/82136/guide_to_adhesives_in_collision_repair.aspx There are numerous articles pertaining to many products in the field. If you want to know more go to Refinish Network also. It's geared predominently to pros and shop owners.
Scott - Would this be considered factory or after market install (Van Nuys Plant)?
I cannot say with certainty from that photo. Against my speculation rule I'll say yes. Look on top in the gutter area, You should see clean evidence of STRSW's (Squeeze Type Resistance Spot Weld), and the run number in the corner. Most shops do not spot weld again, they plug weld. Basically any evidence of non factory welds on all pinchwelds. There may be globs of sealer stuffed in the rear of the quarter at the tailpanel/quarter pinchweld. Sometimes there's a finger or thumbmark in them. I know, hard tellin' not knowin'. You notice all this BS when you take one apart, if your curious while doing so that is.
I see you added another photo. That left side looks original. No evidence of plug welds. Both sides are crusty looking and typical factory paint pattern. No way to tell what may have been done to the rest of the tin like the lower part of the qrtrs.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:39:17 PM by Sauron327 »

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »
Your good my friend! Remember this pic? It was taken on the right side...Above bottom pic was taken on the left side.  ;)

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 10:56:08 PM »
That's why I dont like to speculate from certain photos. It appears there is a missed weld where they removed the support. Looks like a hole in the pic. That RH qrt should not have a sticker on it. Factory tin did not have labels. Compare the spotwelds from both sides and you will see a difference. Compare the door jamb welds near and adjacent to the striker also. There's more evidence than that.

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 11:05:13 PM »
Yup - the right side stiffener was definitely removed and reattached/replaced along with the right quarter. Amazing what a car can tell you if you know what the heck your looking at.

Thanx Scott.

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »
John - you probably get tired of hearing this but your car never ceases to amaze. Every corner of that car is in excellent original condition! Thanks for sharing.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 02:00:55 AM »
Sauron>>> WouldDuramix part #4274 be the right stuff?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois