Author Topic: firewall splash guard  (Read 4377 times)

srode

• View Profile
firewall splash guard
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
I assume the firewall splash guard on AIM UPC11/13 B2 applies to all 69s including automatics and not just the stick shift cars?   Is the puprpose just to keep debris off the firewall and speedometer cable?     Anyone know of a place to get one or a template to make one?  I need a clip 3921872 for the flap as well.   
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: firewall splash guard
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »
My AIM shows the shield and clip on pageUPC11/13 B1 if you are talking about the clip that holds the flap to the fire wall. That clip is not reproduced and the flap/shield  should have come with you kit that had the other splash guards in it. I was lucky to have mine in pristine condition.

Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
I have two of them. If you want to borrow one and use as a template to fab your own let me know. I think there is a post on here or TC of someone who has done so.

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »
I have two of them. If you want to borrow one and use as a template to fab your own let me know. I think there is a post on here or TC of someone who has done so.
Thanks, I may take you up on that!  Are you talking about the clip or the metal frame /retainer that the splash apron staples to?  I need both.  The sheet metal frame (called a retainer in AIM) is the part on page UPC 11/13 B2, part number 3921894 #10 the the lower right corder of the picture showing view A.  The clip is the on page UPC 11/13 B1 upper left hand corner view B #7 part number 3921872.   

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 04:54:46 PM »
I have both.

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »
Here's a tracing I did of an original metal backing for the firewall splash guard (thanks to Sauron327 for the loaner).  If someone wants to duplicate it just print it to scale so the print dimensions are 8.5 x 11.7 inches.  It was done on 8 7/8" by 12" paper but the scanner bed didn't fit it all.  The 6 crecent shapes with dots are the locations of the staples.  The lines where the main body meet the long thin section are where a stamped gusset is formed in the sheet metal.  The edges are straight - where they aren't it's due to tracing problems.  The light lines in inside the borders are the location of folds in the metal and the 2 lines with arrows connecting to the main tracing are edge tracings for the bent shape when looking at the 2 ends of the sheet metal.  Hope this helps someone else in the future.  

Now off to cutting and bending a duplicate- I'll try to duplicate the clip from a tracing after I'm done with this part.

anything