Author Topic: '70 Camaro question for JohnZ  (Read 7542 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
'70 Camaro question for JohnZ
« on: June 12, 2006, 04:19:06 PM »
Hey john, I need to call upon your experience once again.  There is a car for sale on Ebay that came up in a discussion on the 2nd gen forum.  Here is the link.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT  .  It has a VIN of L500001 and a build date of  02D which is theoretically  too late to have the 001 VIN.  So my questions are these:

1) If it were a pilot car would that explain the anomaly  of build date and VIN? 
2) If it were originally sold in Canada (which is where the car is now) would '70s era GM Canada have done final assembly as did GM Europe?  If so would that account for the anomaly?  Did '70s era GM Canada issue its own VIN?  (I figure you are rpetty well versed in GM Canada practices for the period ;))

Thanks for you input....no one I know is looking to buy the car...it just came up as a curiosity to which no one had an answer.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: '70 Camaro question for JohnZ
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:11:22 PM »
The link doesn't work for me, and I'm not that familiar with the 2nd-gen info, but 02D doesn't make sense to me for an L500001 VIN. Pilot cars were serialized beginning with 001, and were built 12-16 weeks prior to start of regular production. There were no Canadian-built 2nd-gen Camaros - all were built at Norwood and Van Nuys, just like the first-gen cars.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:42:57 PM »
Thanks for the response John.  I knew that 2nd gens were not your bag but also knew that you know GM procedures from the era and are fairly well versed in Canadian cars due to your own car.   If you are interested the auction # is 4647990701 (the link did not work from the CRG site for me either...curious).

When I postulated that it might be a pilot car, some one on the 2nd gen site stated that only Norwood had pilot cars (17 according to this person who sites GM records)...does that seem likely?    for the sake of argument I am assuming that the car is not a fake (It is not being represented as an SS or Z/28 - just a V-8 RS)...Some one else on the 2nd gen site has stated, again, that GM records state that L500001 was produced  in the first week of January.  Do therse records exisit for public access?  Or near public access?  I had assumed that 1970 Chevrolet production info was just as "lost" as '67-69 info.  Any thoughts?

As always, thanks for your input.

The link doesn't work for me, and I'm not that familiar with the 2nd-gen info, but 02D doesn't make sense to me for an L500001 VIN. Pilot cars were serialized beginning with 001, and were built 12-16 weeks prior to start of regular production. There were no Canadian-built 2nd-gen Camaros - all were built at Norwood and Van Nuys, just like the first-gen cars.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 01:25:10 AM »
Every plant built either Pilot or Pre-Production units - Pilots were months before launch, Pre-Production units were weeks before launch. Don't know anything about 2nd-gen records, although I wish I still had the '70 Z/28 I bought brand new in early 1970 - ran like a scalded dog!  ;D
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:51:57 PM »
I have some 70 Camaro data. This car doesn't fit; it looks like a retag to me.
Kurt S
CRG

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:51:57 PM »
seems genuine to me.  Nastyz28.com states Dealer Introduction: 2/26/70

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 04:08:47 PM »
seems genuine to me. Nastyz28.com states Dealer Introduction: 2/26/70

That dealer introduction date is the same as the 02D production week, and they were in production for at least six weeks, probably eight, prior to the dealer introduction date.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything