Author Topic: 69 seat backs with 67 covers?  (Read 4120 times)

kid56

• View Profile
69 seat backs with 67 covers?
« on: August 07, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »

69 seat backs?
« on: August 06, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys I am fixing up a 67 camaro and I have a ?
I would like to replace my 67 no headrest seatbacks with 69 headrest seatbacks
will 67 seat covers fit , the 69 seat backs seem a little thicker and I will have to change the mounting tabfor cover from 2 to 1
anybody done this change?? did it work?
thanks Mike B

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: 69 seat backs with 67 covers?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
I recall that 67-8 vs. 69 seat designs were different enought to cause issues.  But I've also heard that people have done all possible swaps...  You might try Team Camaro's uphostry section.  I'm sure someone there has tried it or at least asked that specific question.  Luckily(?), my car had '67 Firebird seats with headrests in it when I bought it in the early 80s.  So, I'm going  to recover them with 68 covers, which shouldn't be a problem...  Though, if my other projects are any indication, I'm in for some pain!

sdkar

• View Profile
Re: 69 seat backs with 67 covers?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »
I've done it and it's possible.  I took a set of 69 seats and installed 68 covers on them.  You will have to cut and reshape the foam a little, have lots of batting and foam on hand, and possibly add or move wires and/or crossbars, depending on what year/style seat and you are starting with and what you are installing.  For example, in one set, I had a standard seat and was converting it to a deluxe one.  I had to add a stiff wire horizontally across the seatback at about 3/4 height so that the area to be hog ringed would match up. 

I am sure any auto interior shop can do this for you but if you are even remotely handy and have patience, you can do this yourself.  If you live near south Florida, I would be happy to do these for you.  I have done quite a few interiors on first gens and have always had them come out terrific. 

I hoped this help and good luck.

anything