Author Topic: Cowl induction woes  (Read 4901 times)

MickyT

• View Profile
Cowl induction woes
« on: June 13, 2006, 06:13:56 AM »
We thought it would be kinda cool to run the whole cowl induction setup with the cowl hood - air cleaner, flapper, solenoid etc on the 67. It was originally a 210 HP 327. When I ordered the kit the choice was either a quadrajet setup for 350 or the 302 Holley one. We are running a 327 with the RPM manifold and 670 Holley Avenger which the supplier said was close to the intake manifold and Holley on the original 302. You guessed it the hood wont close, too high. So did I get the wrong one sent to me or......I used the energy suspension motor mounts for a 327. I think I read somewhere that the 302 and 350 used a different mount which Im guessing includes the towers mounted on the subframe. Do those motors sit lower in the subframe. Anybody have a 327 with functional cowl induction? TIA.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl induction woes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:29:42 AM »
The 302 air cleaner spacer ring is about 2" high, the 350 ring is about 4" high, so if you have a 2" high ring and the hood won't close, you have no option except to cut the ring down to the proper height (or remove it).  If you got a 4" high ring then ou have the wrong one.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

MickyT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 05:28:59 PM »
Any idea if the motor mounts are part of the problem? Seems strange otherwise that it doesnt fit. I have the 2" ring and the lower housing seems to sit quite low over the carb so I dont see that being the problem. Even with only the lower housing on it doesnt quite close. Strange...

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 09:28:52 PM »
What part of the air cleaner is hitting the hood?  Is it sitting all the way down on the carb.  Do you have tower type raditor hose clamps?  Many a person has found out that the air cleaner housing is actually hitting the radiator clamp on the thermostat housing and it is not sitting all the way down on the carb body.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

anything