Author Topic: Side Mirrors  (Read 4712 times)

mjnotto

• View Profile
Side Mirrors
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:33:48 PM »
My 67 camaro only has driver side mirrors. I want to add a second one but was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a larger mirror. The small 67 circlular ones are just so tiny. I was thinking of 68-69 side mirrors because they are rectangular but dont look that much larger. I am willing to put any mirror from any car on as long as they are all chrome looking so they look some what like they fit. The larger the better. Thanks

IZRSSS

Re: Side Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
All First Gen's came with only one outside mirror from the factory. If a customer wanted a passenger mirror it could be ordered through the dealership.

To better understand your question...what are your plans for the car? Is your '67 modified or is it a numbers car. If it's modified my guess would be the skies the limit. If its a numbers car, I can't see using anything other than what was made for that year.

mjnotto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:10:37 AM »
Its a modified. I dont want it to look fake but im not trying to be perfectly matching. I have a modern head unit and sound system in it. The goal is to make it practical while trying to remain old looking but not necesarrily official.

What i was thinking is since it has a chrome mirror now, any chrome mirror would keep the look no matter what car it came from.

Suggestions?

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »
I would look for something with the convex glass like modern passenger side mirrors. It would give you a larger field of view than a flat mirror.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »
I like Tom's idea. I think these just might work;

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/684501-C.aspx?wid=141

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »
I found these on E-Bay, they have an old school look with some modern technology. These are not correct for a stock application but might be what you are looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Style-Chrome-Sport-Side-View-Muscle-Car-Mirrors-/110738813045?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1967%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item19c88c3075#ht_500wt_956
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 05:24:06 AM »
Not sure if you are asking for a chrome mirror for aesthetics purposes or if you don't want to have to go thru the trouble to paint them.  If painting is not too big of deal for you, then install a set of 70-81 Camaro/Firebird bullet mirrors.  I did this to one of my 69 Camaro and they look and fit perfect plus you get a bigger mirror and a passenger mirror that has the "Objects in mirror are closer..."  They are not that expensive and can still be easily found in a junk yard. Here is a set on ebay I found in a few minutes.  ebay item # 270808449937.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-Trans-Am-side-Mirrors-77-81-firebird-/270808449937?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0d710391

If you are not married to factory correct, you can find "custom" mirrors quite easily at your local junkyard.  My current build is a 69 Camaro that has power mirrors from a late model GM vehicle that fit with a little finessing and look and work very nice.  Just go to your local junkyard and check out what they have.  You will be surprised at the many cool mirrors that you can make work with little or no effort and sell for next to nothing.  The ones I found cost me $10 for the pair and I got the wiring harnesses, switches, bezels etc. 

Best of luck.