Author Topic: Who does steering box rebuilds?  (Read 6697 times)

oneZ11

• View Profile
Who does steering box rebuilds?
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Trying to sort out a few minor issues with my front end, but one of the things that came up is the steering box, and the fact that it may need to be rebuilt.

First, how do I determine whether or not it's worn to the point of need a rebuild?

Next, who's a good supplier of said service?

('69 Camaro SS/RS with Power Steering & N44 close ratio box.)

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Who does steering box rebuilds?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »
I've used TOM LEE a couple of times and had great service. He's not the cheapest, but he's well known and stands behind his work.

But he's in So Cal (where I am), so I didn't have to spend a fortune on shipping! You might want to check around at the local car shows and ask them.

Ed

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
  I used Power Steering Services, Inc. in Springfield,Mo.-  www.powersteering.com  He has a service to restore your original.  He also has a service(which I used) to put  quicker ratio gears in your original box.  GM used the same Power Steering Gear Box casting all the way up to '92, which is why he's able to do this.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
I used Tom Lee as well. It came out well. He did stamp his rebuilder serial number in the aluminum cap and I would have rather it not be there but otherwise it looks and works as good as new.

He did strongly try to talk me into increasing the steering effort to give me a little bit better road feel but I went for 100% original. He was right - I should have went with the more effort mod. The box is a little too easy to turn as it is now. A little more effort in the box would have given more road feel. If I had it to do over, I would definately do that mod. This was on a fast variable ratio setup.

-Mark.

oneZ11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »
Okay, thanks all – I'll save the names and links. I'll do a little more research in the Midwest. It would seem that there must be a place somewhere in Michigan that does this?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
He did stamp his rebuilder serial number in the aluminum cap and I would have rather it not be there...

That must be something new. He didn't do that with mine.

Ed

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
  Here is a pic. of my Power Steering Services (see above post)restored pump.  Looks Great!  I don't know what the yellow dot means, but I seem to remember them being on new cars "Back in the Day".  Probably didn't last long.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
  I used Power Steering Services, Inc. in Springfield,Mo.-  www.powersteering.com  He has a service to restore your original.  He also has a service(which I used) to put  quicker ratio gears in your original box.  GM used the same Power Steering Gear Box casting all the way up to '92, which is why he's able to do this.
Just worked on a box for us and turned it around quickly and was willing to assist even before he knew I was going to be a customer.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

67 rss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 01:34:07 AM »
Lares is in Cambridge Mn which is almost Michigan ;). They did nice work on my '67.

http://www.larescorp.com/index.html

I did my '72 myself for about $39 without bearings if you want to take on the challenge.

As I stated in the link below- I always wondered how those things work and after overhauling one I still wonder :).

Here is a how to thread with embedded links and other free advice...http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195415

Lane