Author Topic: Color quandary  (Read 25911 times)

ScottJon

• View Profile
Re: Color quandary
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 05:46:48 AM »
Scott,

I'm glad you're keeping it original.  Check these photos out...

http://www.69pace.com/paint1969burnishedbrown.htm

Paul

that caris spectacular, thank you for sharing
Happy 1969 Z28 owner guardian

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 06:07:41 AM »
You are exactly right, I don't know of anyone who would pay today's prices for yesterdays paint. As I mentioned before, I have never seen a First Gen survivor but I have seen other Chevy's in their birthday suits. Amazing, one would think it could be duplicated with a home improvement sprayer. Even so, I don't think I have seen anything that has moved me more (car wise). Nothing beats the real deal.

It would be interesting to duplicate the old style just to see the reaction of judges. I would imagine the majority would wonder what the heck was this guy was thinking.

Thanx for taking time to answer a difficult topic.

ok this was a bit over my understanding.

are we saying not to pait the stipes before the clear coat?  or am i a bozo for not following this conversation?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
Scott, to maintain originality, stripes go over the clear, not under. These cars were not clearcoated originally. The paint you will be using is a completely different system, it's BC/CC. Some guys like their stripes buried so the finish is dead flat at the tape line, but it's technically incorrrect. Search old posts and you will find points were deducted for doing so. If you want it correct, spray the stripes over the clear. Your car, your choice.

Marty, go hunt up James' resto progress, it's complete with drips on the LCAs, dryness, missed spots and all.

IZRSSS

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »
ok this was a bit over my understanding.
are we saying not to pait the stipes before the clear coat?  or am i a bozo for not following this conversation?

SJ - The post you are referring to was just a conversation between two guys talking shop & has nothing to do with the original thread. Sometimes it is hard for me to stay on topic. Call it ADD or whatever.

I have always been intrigued by how much effort goes into today's restorations in a quest for the perfect car. This was all I knew until I wondered on to this site. Then I began reading some of John's reports and learned these cars were rolling off the assembly line at a rate of 1 per minute. This kinda sums up what the paint must have looked like. If I am ever fortunate enough to find a "Survivor" in the truest sense of the word I would keep it exactly the way it is. But, if I ever decide to tackle my own restoration on my current car, I would not settle for a lookalike paint from BITD.

Hope this clears  things up  ;).

Scott - or someone, can you post the link to James' resto progress. I tried and came up empty. Thanx
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:42:20 PM by IZRSSS »

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »
When replacing the non original cowl hood on my Ralley Green laquer SS, I could not find laquer paint. We did the camera thing and mixed Chroma and it did not match at all. We switched to another brand and it did match but you can still tell it is different paint.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »

I have always been intrigued by how much effort goes into today's restorations in a quest for the perfect car. This was all I knew until I wondered on to this site. Then I began reading some of John's reports and learned these cars were rolling off the assembly line at a rate of 1 per minute. This kinda sums up what the paint must have looked like. If I am ever fortunate enough to find a "Survivor" in the truest sense of the word I would keep it exactly the way it is. But, if I ever decide to tackle my own restoration on my current car, I would not settle for a lookalike paint from BITD.

My car was built in Van Nuys, i live in the Valley (not too far from there) and in fact the restoration shop is in Van Nuys just a mile or so from the plant. The reason i mention this is that there are still people around town that worked at the plant and I have gotten to meet a few. If you read my post from last week about the VIN question  i was encountering, you can see some of the mistakes were made.

I haven't met anyone from the plant that doesn't laugh when i tell them about my car and the usual response is "hey, it was the '60's in L.A." lots of so tires of drugs and rock and roll.

I never talk to anyone with a Van Nuys car that doesn't have some issue with it that, Im not surprised they finished one per minute

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »
outside the lines  ;D

grind marks

runs

LIGHT spray

deck lid edge has almost no paint..

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
How bout multiple errors on one panel... runs and overspray plus the stripes don't line up to the recessed areas they are off by 1/4"

James
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...

IZRSSS

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 11:07:16 PM »
James - I checked out a few more pics in your Signature link. Excellent resource!

Thanx

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 11:09:20 PM »
I literally have THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of High resolution shots of the Black Survivor!
James

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 01:12:43 AM »
These are the color samples I am choosing from

the center is Burnished Brown stock

Scott, where did you get an assortment of supples like that? Just curious.

MM

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 01:35:59 AM »
These are the color samples I am choosing from

the center is Burnished Brown stock

there are several sources here in Los Angeles and one came from the east coast

please feel free to email me if you want specifics

Scott, where did you get an assortment of supples like that? Just curious.

MM

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 01:39:57 AM »
another question,  dose anyone have pictures of the stripes UNDER the spoiler?  i have so many different opinions of where they stop i.e., at the front edge of the spoiler, feathered from the front of the area to the back, and others say at the top of the trunk deck,

I KNOW they don't come down the back portion of the trunk lip, but I'm looking for graphic evidence of where they stopped from the factory ended them

PLEASE

IZRSSS

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:30 AM »

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 02:55:56 AM »
the stripes were painted on the car with the spoiler on it already???  I never knew that

thanks so much Marty