Author Topic: Spare Tire Hold Down Conv. Need info  (Read 8954 times)

GHZone1

• View Profile
Spare Tire Hold Down Conv. Need info
« on: December 22, 2005, 01:49:06 AM »
My spare tire hold down is missing on my 69 convertible.  I think I need to fabricate one from scratch.   I would like to know what it should look like as well as some dimensions and its proper location for a convertible.  I think that it is located along one of the ribs in the trunk, the rib that the D shaped body alignment hole (drain hole) intersects.  How far along the rib from the near side edge is the center of the hold down?

Thank you,

dougrmac

• View Profile
Re: Spare Tire Hold Down Conv. Need info
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:48:32 PM »
I have a couple of pics that show what it looks like and where it is located on the trunk pan. When I get home from work tonight i will email them to you.

Doug

DanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 02:59:42 PM »
Page 115 in Rick's First Gen catalog....hold down bolt, wing nut, correct weld-on floor bracket....all less than $20.

GHZone1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 10:55:48 PM »
Dan, Thank you for the info... I'll get that on order.

Doug, Your picture was helpful to show the location.

This had been in the back of my mind for a while and you've helped me out :)

DeanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 05:27:42 PM »
Doug,
Could you send me the same pic?
Thanks
Dean

dougrmac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 01:47:16 PM »
I'll e-mail them tonight!!   

Doug

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »
Anyone have a picture and perhaps measurements for the location of this hold down on a convertible?
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 01:18:02 AM »
The AIM makes no distiction between a convertible & coupe's standard spare tire retainer location. The only differences are with RPO N65 (Space Saver Spare).

Here is a good pick of John's spare as per RPO-PW7 A1
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=989804

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 01:18:53 AM »
...RPO N65...

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
The AIM makes no distiction between a convertible & coupe's standard spare tire retainer location. The only differences are with RPO N65 (Space Saver Spare).

Here is a good pick of John's spare as per RPO-PW7 A1
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=989804
Thanks Marty - I looked at post number 6 in the link above, and it appears there are potentially 3 different locations for the spare - 1 unique to the convertible.  In the link below, if you scroll down to the pictures of a survivor Pace Car it looks like the spare mounts further toward the rear than in John's coupe picture.  I'll take a look in my coupe which has the original trunk pan and see if I can see the dimples for welding the holddown bracket to weld it in.   Interestingly, the convertible jacking instructions in this car are black instead of the reproduction ones which are blue - is it just aged and the blue turned to black?  The numbers on the tag appear to match the repros, just not the color. 

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=427352

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »

Nope. There are two distinctly different locations for the regular production retainer welded to the trunk floor pan - one for the coupe, and one for the convertible. See UPC 10, sheet A2 in the Assembly Manual.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 07:27:40 PM »
Sorry guys. Didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Thanx John.

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 08:55:52 AM »
No problem Marty - I appreciate the pictures and help.  I did look at my coup with the original trunk pan in it and saw the dimples for the 3 locations, including the one for the standard spare tire location that was used which has the holddown strap welded in place roughly centered between the 4 dimples.  Looks like the convertible dimples are stradling the furthest right reinforcement rib about 6 inches toward the rear from the front edge of the rib and are oriented with the widest dimples toward the front of the car.  Given this orientation, I assume the convertble holddown is supposed to be centered but toward the front side of the car from the narrow dimples, stradling that rib, does this sound right?  

Any suggestions on how to create those dimples in my replaced floor pan? The ones up high for the space saver are still there, but not the two lower sets, as long as I am in there figure I would try to dimple it to look correct.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:57:40 AM by srode »