Author Topic: Color quandary  (Read 25642 times)

ScottJon

• View Profile
Color quandary
« on: August 24, 2011, 02:59:04 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your help with my VIN question last week, well now we are starting to chose the paint and i am sincerely looking for advise of the group.

My car is a 1969 Z28, some schmo that owned the car before me painted it white with red (mustang red of all things) stripes. The car is a 61 Burnished Brown. So i am very inclined to paint it back to that color. my questions are as follows:

1   Burnished Brown is a metallic color, in its raw form, it looks pretty nice. However, are there any rules about adding more metal flake or a little something something to the clear coat without straying too far from acceptable?

2   i have no plans to sell the car but i do think original is best, thoughts?

3   what are the general guidelines for color considering Burnished Brown will be the base of the end result.

thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated

Scott
Happy 1969 Z28 owner guardian

OG69Z

• View Profile
Re: Color quandary
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:26:02 PM »
Hi Scott,
     I think Burnished Brown  looks terrific in its original form. It is very difficult today to get a quality repaint in a single stage as the factory did many years ago.  The new clear coats will look beautiful  on your car, and likely give you plenty of flash.
     When my Olympic Gold was done almost 10 years ago, the single stage was tried, but with poor results. It was removed and followed up with Glassuit two stage clear. It ended up fabulous, and really makes the Gold stand out in the crowd. The downside is, I just did a Concours in Carmel for the Monterey Week, and was dinged by the judges because of the clear coat. I don't know about judging elsewhere, this is the first time I've been penalized.  The upside is the paint should last a very long time, and they tell me it is very easy to repair.
     My personal taste is to keep them original. The original colors and look really puts them back in 69.
Bob

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »
Thanks Bob

i like what your saying. Many people have said paint it the color you want since you are keeping it, but part of me says it started life brown, so it should be brown.

plus with the white stripes it will look striking.

from the samples they painted already the paint looks so dark, nearly black in low light, it gets very brown in bright sunlight. I actually like it. In my previous VIN number post someone posted a photo of their Burnished Brown car and that made a big difference to me

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »
Keep it original!   :)

Paul

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »
My paint supplier does not recommend single stage for metallic colors.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
so no one thinks a little "special sauce" in the clear coat is a good idea ? i was thinking some pearl essence so at night the color shifts under different lighting conditions

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 06:42:52 PM »
Keep it original!   :)

Paul
I agree!!!

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:27:10 PM »
My choice is 61

MM

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:10:15 AM »
My choice is 61

MM
How metallic is your paint? it looks awesome

they bone stok 61 is nice from what ive seen, we were thinking about putting pearl essence in the clear coat.

I would love to see more pictures if you have them ?

my email is   scottleibow@gmail.com

i would be so appreciative

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 01:05:20 AM »
Im in agreement and you all have helped me know i am doing the right thing staying with the Brown, but are there any acceptable rules on how much metallic you can use ? or pearl in the top coat?

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 01:13:34 AM »
Just my opinion don't add anything. This paint has enough metallic to jump off the car when it's out in the sun. Pictures don't really do justice for this color.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 01:15:19 AM »
These are the color samples I am choosing from

the center is Burnished Brown stock

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 01:29:41 AM »
Go to the forum on yenko.net and send a pm to member 302MO. He has a stunning 69 Z in that color. He should have some pics to excite you.

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »
Go to the forum on yenko.net and send a pm to member 302MO. He has a stunning 69 Z in that color. He should have some pics to excite you.

Thank You Charley, Ill do that right away

69z28302

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 01:41:25 AM »
Just my opinion don't add anything. This paint has enough metallic to jump off the car when it's out in the sun. Pictures don't really do justice for this color.

I totally agree with this statement. Its a hard color to photograph. The sun makes It POP!

MM