Author Topic: Sunoco fueling rig  (Read 18351 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Sunoco fueling rig
« on: August 23, 2011, 01:07:36 AM »
Don Lee had a neat surprise on display at Monterey. He had received original blueprints of the Sunoco fueling tower as used at the
'69 Wolverine Trans-Am and decided to recreate it based on those prints. Not only is it recreated in appearance, it is fully functional!
I was told he ran a few demonstrations using colored water and pumping it into the original '68 Daytona fuel tank from his car.
Unfortunately, I missed each demonstration.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:03:13 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
Re: Sunoco fueling rig
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:23:42 AM »
Curious...how'd they get the drum up there? Looks like a tag line to one side, was there a block and tackle above it?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:40:21 AM »
I never saw it get assembled, Fred. Maybe somebody else here did.
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:28:38 AM »
SCCA, of course, should have jumped on this the first time they saw this apparatus, and kicked it out then and there - a perfect example of the "Unfair Advantage". I can't imagine the time and expense involved.

Robert Barg

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »
Exciting this,

I hope one day to build the same in scale.  Not very practical with regards to dust-free display space it would demand and hence consume, but fun at shows.  Thanks...

Mike K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:37:39 PM »
That's a neat idea, Mike.

If you click here, pictures of the fueling rig being assembled have been posted on the Historic Trans-Am website.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:02:00 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »
Kind thanks Jon for the link documenting the assembly of the replica fuel rig,

Again, I really appreciate the consistent and informed support.  With regards to the scale model work that I do and attempt, it can be hard for many to grasp that I'm not building a kit, that I'm not final finishing a wholly engineered piece that requires the concerted effort of a single weekend to see to completion. Indeed, to chart even modest progress and have it registered as progress does much to keep me going.  That enthusiasts visiting and contributing to the forum are reliably capable of making this distinction matters a great deal to me, hence I feel quite comfortable within the space of this virtual destination.

Concerning the posts I clamor to read across the CRG/Trans Am messageboard function, I greatly admire the dedication you've shown.  You literally see to the care and feeding of every thread here, and how disciplined and neatly matters have unfolded across topics for your noteworthy effort.  The vitality, the enthusiasm and commitment on display with regards to your posts prompts me to dig deeper time and again with regards to my scale work.  With thanks and evidencing considerable respect...

Mike K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:49:40 AM »
Mike, I appreciate the kind words. I think everyone who signs up and posts here has got the same kind of passion for this as I do. There are a significant number of car enthusiast forums where there is bickering, sniping, foul language, etc. I'm very pleased that this forum has not gone in that direction and in fact I won't let it. I appreciate everyone's contributions and I hope they appreciate mine. I don't pretend to know it all and always enjoy finding out or seeing something new. Many thanks to you for taking the time to detail your modeling efforts. They are very well researched and executed and, as such, are truly appreciated.
Jon Mello
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:30:51 PM »
IMHO If it is not specifically excluded or specifically predetermined then it's fair game.
Racing used to be much more about innovation and car/team prep where as now seems like the sanctioning bodies want to dictate what, when, where, why, and how leaving the results to the drivers alone... I liked the engineering side as much or more than the driving side.
Oh how I yearn for the "outlaw" days...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 03:10:23 AM »
James, I understand what you are saying but there is no doubt that rule bending and/or cheating is still going on today.
Jon Mello
CRG

jgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
the fuel opening was huge, they didn't pour fuel in they dumped it in.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »
Yes, when you are putting 22+ gallons of fuel into a car in 3 or 4 seconds that would definitely be considered dumping and not pouring.  ;D
Jon Mello
CRG

T/AracingFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 06:58:13 AM »
Very interesting about the fueling rig.  I also am very curious about the '69 Penske Camaros fuel fill reservoir/opening.  I honestly have just never seen any good pics of it up close but have seen the earlier ones (i.e. '67, '68).  I hate to ask for more pics but I have looked through many pics on here and although I've definitely found glimpses of them, I've never seen a good pic of the whole thing.  I'll be completely honest, I do want to see this because I'm trying to recreate it on a project but I'm also just very curious to know how they work so if anyone has any pics/video of it, thank you in advance.  I wanna thank you guys because I am learning so much about something I've been very passionate about for years and just didn't have enough money and/or information.  I don't take it for granted and I'm VERY greatful!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 03:32:26 AM »
This is the best I can do right now. Maybe next week I can find something else for you. This is the gas filler on Don Lee's '68 Penske car. The '69 Penske cars early that season used this style of filler lid (and filler neck, for that matter) although it was positioned a little more rearward than shown here and the part that is painted black on Don's lid was stainless (silver) on the '69 car. I hope that helps.

Jon Mello
CRG

T/AracingFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 11:14:52 PM »
That Jon that helps alot and just confirms that the one I saw on that GMP scale model site for the '69 is fairly accurate.  Still curious how it works though.  Is it just hinged from the back and how does it stay shut?  Sorry if I'm off topic here just wondering because just like you I want to learn everything I possibly can about classic Trans Am. ;D