Author Topic: Marshall Robbins - Carl Shafer  (Read 41404 times)

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
Re: Marshall Robbins - Carl Shafer
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 11:09:14 PM »

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 11:36:57 PM »
As you can see, the damage was substantial, as was the damage to most of the cars involved in the same crash.  At the time, it wasn't worth the expense to attempt to rebuild it, as the car was no longer competitive with the very competitive GT1 class.  The car was replaced with a Roush built Mercury Capri, which he raced in both SCCA GT1 and the IMSA Kelly American series.  The Capri was later replaced with a Pontiac Firebird (which was rebodied into a Chev. Camaro a couple years later)...  This car was raced in both GT1 and Trans Am races...

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 12:17:10 AM »
That is a heck of a wreck... and would be an impressive undertaking to rebuild.  If this were to be restored, it would be quite interesting to see a photo documentation of the effort. 

I know the end result may not be worth as much as this Low Drag, Lightweight E-Type, but seeing true craftsmen repair mangled race cars is perhaps more engaging to me than seeing them compete (I suggest scrolling to the lower pics in the link above to see what these folks started with).

Mr. Dunbar, thanks for posting the before and after photos of this Camaro race car. 

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »
Thanks a lot for posting those photos, Scott. As Chad suggests, it would be nice to see the car get properly brought back to life using as much of the original car as possible rather than cutting out the serial numbers and attaching them to another body.
Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »
Back to the intent of the thread... I'd be interested in any photos of the Camaro when raced by either Bill Petree, Marshall Robbins or Carl Shafer.

And while I'm at it, I'd also be interested in any photos of our 1968 Yellow #32 Corvette...  Here are two of the few photos I have of it....

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »
Or any photos of our 1963 Corvette...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 02:19:17 AM »
Looks like Blackhawk Farms. I went to most if not all of the races there in the 1970-1974 timeframe. I'll see if I can find anything.

In the meantime, here are some things from the 1969 ARRC race featuring your Camaro when Bill Petree was driving it.

Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:26 AM »
Looks like Blackhawk Farms. I went to most if not all of the races there in the 1970-1974 timeframe. I'll see if I can find anything.

In the meantime, here are some things from the 1969 ARRC race featuring your Camaro when Bill Petree was driving it.

You're correct, those photos are from Blackhawk...but we raced at all the Cen Div Nationals, as well as a few Midwestern Div. Nationals, and various regionals in the Cen Div during that timeframe....   For example, in 1973, we raced the yellow '68 Corvette in 9 Nationals, with (5) 1st place finishes, (3) second place finishes and one DNF (a blown clutch at IRP).

The photos of Bill Petree and the accompanying article are fantastic.  Coincidentally, I spent yesterday afternoon with Jerry Lagod, who finished 3rd to Bill Petree at the 1969 A Sedan runoffs.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »
I'm glad those things I posted about Bill Petree were new to you and that you enjoyed them. It's sad to hear of Max Lagod's passing at just 41 years old. He was a fine racer and 2-time SCCA GT-1 Champion. My condolences go out to Max's family.
Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »
I'm glad those things I posted about Bill Petree were new to you and that you enjoyed them. It's sad to hear of Max Lagod's passing at just 41 years old. He was a fine racer and 2-time SCCA GT-1 Champion. My condolences go out to Max's family.

Max was very close to his family and friends....  Yes, his passing was - and still is - very sad.

In addition to his road racing accomplishments, Max was also a Bonneville Speed Trial record holder...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
It is very tough to lose a close friend and especially a family member, especially when they are young like that. There is no doubt about that.

I have looked through all the Road America negatives I have and unfortunately was not able to find anything pertaining to the Dunbar Corvettes or Camaro. I would think my brother might have something but I have tried in vain for several years to borrow any of it from him. Maybe somebody else will be able to come up with something as more people look in on this thread.
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 12:08:20 AM »
Jerry still has his old camaro?  From memory, I spoke to him at one of the Vancouver Molson Indy events, when the T/A was a support race to the Indy cars, and Max was driving.  Jerry and I raced against each other 4 times according to ultimateracinghistory.com

Robert Barg

anything