Author Topic: Marshall Robbins - Carl Shafer  (Read 41384 times)

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
Marshall Robbins - Carl Shafer
« on: August 21, 2011, 01:31:46 AM »
I'd be interested in any photos of the 1969 Camaro raced by Marshall Robbins, and then by Carl Shafer...  I believe the car was numbered 24 when raced by Marshall, and was numbered 21 when raced by Carl... 

Many thanks....

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall Robbins - Carl Shafer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:53:58 PM »
Welcome. I don't have any photos of the car. My youngest brother has most of the pictures our family took
when we attended the Road America races from 1970-1974. I know there are two or three photos of Carl's
car at the following link if you look under the year 1972.

http://www.autocourse.ca/index.php?file=photos.html

I think I have the double-adjustable Konis off of that car. I think it was damaged and parted out. No?
Jon Mello
CRG

wolfmin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:20:59 AM »
Scott,

You may already have pictures of it in the orange and white Greenwood paint scheme, but if not, there is an action shot in Corvette News magazine from Apr/May 1971.  In the picture, with I'm guessing Bill Petree (sp) driving, John Greenwood is trying to avoid another spinning Corvette with his A Production Corvette while the future Dunbar Camaro is closing in.

Mike Jarchow

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 01:51:42 PM »
Welcome. I don't have any photos of the car. My youngest brother has most of the pictures our family took
when we attended the Road America races from 1970-1974. I know there are two or three photos of Carl's
car at the following link if you look under the year 1972.

http://www.autocourse.ca/index.php?file=photos.html

I think I have the double-adjustable Konis off of that car. I think it was damaged and parted out. No?

Yes...it was parted out.  Vern Brown  of Verona, Wisconsin purchased the remains...  How did you end up with the Koni's?

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »
Scott,

You may already have pictures of it in the orange and white Greenwood paint scheme, but if not, there is an action shot in Corvette News magazine from Apr/May 1971.  In the picture, with I'm guessing Bill Petree (sp) driving, John Greenwood is trying to avoid another spinning Corvette with his A Production Corvette while the future Dunbar Camaro is closing in.

Mike Jarchow

Bill Petree drove the car in 1969...  The car was built by John and Burt Greenwood, and owned by the Greenwoods when Bill drove it to the 1969 National Championship in Daytona.   Marshall Robbins purchased the car in 1970 - it was maintained by Bill Spangler, as were all of Marshall's cars.  Marshall was named the SCCA National Rookie of the Year driving it.  Next was Carl Shafer in 1971, who was also named the SCCA National Rookie of the Year in the car.  My father purchased the car in 1973 from Carl.  He won the June Sprints with it 3 times (1977, 1979, 1981).He qualified for the SCCA Runoffs 14 times in the car, finishing 4th in 1979, 1st in 1980 and 3rd in 1981 (along with several other top 6 finishes along the way).  Unfortunately the car was destroyed at Road Atlanta in the 1984 GT1 race along with many other cars in the turn 6 Runoffs crash....  (I have a couple video's of the crash.)  I've heard of various pieces of the car being owned by a handful of folks, and rumours of it's reconstruction every so often...

wolfmin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »
My dad used to crew for Jerry Lagod in his 1968 Camaro, including during a trip to the run-offs at Daytona in 1969 when Bill Petree won. Lagod finished 3rd.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
Yes...it was parted out.  Vern Brown  of Verona, Wisconsin purchased the remains...  How did you end up with the Koni's?

I purchased them from Corvette racer Howard Nardick after seeing his ad for them on a Camaro website. I'm not sure how he got them but he said they came off of the Shafer/Dunbar Camaro.
Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
My dad used to crew for Jerry Lagod in his 1968 Camaro, including during a trip to the run-offs at Daytona in 1969 when Bill Petree won. Lagod finished 3rd.

Jerry is a good friend.  Sadly, Max passed away this summer after a long battle...

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 09:40:08 PM »

I purchased them from Corvette racer Howard Nardick after seeing his ad for them on a Camaro website. I'm not sure how he got them but he said they came off of the Shafer/Dunbar Camaro.

I remember Howard well...  I'm sure he purchased them from Vern...  Those are very nice shocks...  We tried a few other brands along the way, but always returned to the Koni's.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 02:51:11 AM »
The original double-adjustable Konis are a very good shock and hard to find these days. To my understanding, the body shell of the Camaro has been severely damaged as a result of that 1984 crash but it was not discarded. Is that correct?
Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 03:05:27 AM »
The original double-adjustable Konis are a very good shock and hard to find these days. To my understanding, the body shell of the Camaro has been severely damaged as a result of that 1984 crash but it was not discarded. Is that correct?

Yes....it was most certainly severely damaged.  I actually don't know what came of it.  It all went to Vern - I know he sold much of it in pieces, but don't know what became of the shell.  I have heard it is in the Phoenix area with the intention of being restored someday, but don't know for certain.  I received several calls a couple of years ago from someone from Phoenix interested in details of the car and photos - purportedly for the purpose of restoring the car..

The very first Chevrolet Power Book - the one with green loose leaf pages - had several pages of chassis and suspension drawings of how to modify a stock 1969 Camaro for racing purposes.  The drawings are of this car - made when the car was built by the Greenwoods (Chevrolet paid for the original construction of the car).

If I knew how, I could post a couple of "Post Crash" photos of the car...

wolfmin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 06:23:45 AM »
Bill Keefe from Keefe Performance in the Phoenix area has the car now.  He has Vern's Corvette too...and my Corvette.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »
If I knew how, I could post a couple of "Post Crash" photos of the car...

When you go to post a reply, there's a place at the bottom that says "Attach:" and to the right of that there is a little box that says "Browse..."
Click on the Browse box and find the picture file on your computer that you want to post. When you double click on that file it will attach it to your reply message.
To add a second photo (or more), click on "more attachments" to the right of "Browse..." and you should be able to do the same thing as above.
Then click "Post" at the bottom of the page after you have included any message that you want to accompany the photos. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.
Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:04:08 PM »
First - a pre crash photo....  1979 Road America June Sprints....

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
And now the results of the 1984 Road Atlanta GT1 crash in turn 6....