Author Topic: 69 Oil Pressure Gauge  (Read 10545 times)

mcharter

• View Profile
69 Oil Pressure Gauge
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »
Looking for input on 69 console oil pressure gauge issue.  I am using the correct plastic line from engine to gauge.  I have had the line break twice now, what a mess!  Probably cracked while doing  some other work on the engine.  Does anyone offer a metal replacement line or maybe an electric sending unit?  I suppose an electric sending unit would then need a new gauge, which I would like to match the current gauge.  Anyway, suggestions to prevent another oil bath would be appreciated.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Oil Pressure Gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
If installed and routed correctly the plastic line is what should be used. A metal line will flex with vibration and eventually break.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:04:12 AM »
I've had the plastic line on my 68 Z for 3 years and never had a problem.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
The original nylon line has been in my '69 Z/28 for 42 years and works just fine.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
John, you may have just given us the answer! If the original lines were nylon and the repops are plastic, therein lies the problem. Nylon has a much greater ability to bend and is less rigid than plastic, so maybe that's the reason I keep hearing about this issue.

Ed

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »
John, you may have just given us the answer! If the original lines were nylon and the repops are plastic, therein lies the problem. Nylon has a much greater ability to bend and is less rigid than plastic, so maybe that's the reason I keep hearing about this issue.

Ed

I think everyone is talking about the same thing, and just calling the line "plastic"; technically, it's an Engineering-grade black nylon, but to most folks it's just "plastic".
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

mcharter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 03:43:25 PM »
Thanks all for the responces.  The lines I have been using came from Ricks and are black in color so I am assuming from the above they were the nylon material.  In any case I have still had a couple of them break.  They were probably hit or nicked while doing some other work in the area.  They both broke in the engine compartment near the fitting they come out of.  Obviously I will use great care now doing anything in that area of the engine but would like to come up with something a little stronger.  Any ideas?

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
Maybe try Grainger or McMaster Carr for suitable tubing.  McMaster usually has good descriptions of the material and strength.  If not showing the car, you could just add a small length of braided sleeve or spring like you see used on some hoses for protection.

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
You could use copper line for the oil pressure

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »
Problem with copper is that it is supposed to be subject to work hardening. The best bet is to purchase the better line kits. Some factory oil pressure guage lines were copper plated steel. See if you can get one of those.

-Mark.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 06:53:38 PM »
Problem with copper is that it is supposed to be subject to work hardening. The best bet is to purchase the better line kits. Some factory oil pressure guage lines were copper plated steel. See if you can get one of those.

-Mark.

That's correct - DO NOT use copper tubing (GM didn't, for good reason); GM used either tinned steel tubing or copper-plated steel tubing for oil pressure lines when they used metal prior to the introduction of nylon tubing. Paragon has kits with the copper-plated steel lines and fittings.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »
I ran a metal line back in my racing days and the only thing I found annoying was it telegraphed engine noises into the passenger compartment.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 01:07:20 AM »
I don't trust the reproduction lines available, even the best one I saw for a Corvette.
I am in the process or converting the 69 factory oil pressure gauge face to an electric sender fed gauge.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

anything