Author Topic: RS Conversion Kit Installation  (Read 10054 times)

Prackman

• View Profile
RS Conversion Kit Installation
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:35:55 PM »
I have a 67 Standard  Coupe that I would like to install a RS conversion kit to convert highlights, grill, valiances, parking lights, etc. 
I looking for feedback from those who have performed the conversion to determine:
   1. which kit manufacture is best
   2. is the instruction manual complete and easy to follow
   3. did you purchase new valiances or cut holes in the existing ones for the parking/turn lights
   4. is there a website with detail installation process instructions available
   5. how difficult is the electrial portion of the install

or forget it and find someone who has completed the conversion before.

Thanks for your feedback
John
1969 Z/28 VN Built
1967 SS

sdkar

• View Profile
Re: RS Conversion Kit Installation
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:00:51 PM »
I have done this conversion and if you have any questions at all...please email me.  In fact, I kinda consider myself an expert on both 67 and 68/69 RS installations.  There are a few lessons to be learned that I learned the hard way.  For instance, the limit switches are one way.  It does not tell you or show you this on any of the guides or schematics, but you have to have the wiring exact or the doors will not work.  Also, I highly recommend grabbing a circuit breaker from possibly the junkyard (they work like fuses but do not have to be replaced and will reset themselves).  When I did the installation, every time I did a test open/close, and the wiring was wrong, BANG, the fuse would pop and I would have to install another one.  Not only was it a PITA, I ran out of fuses quickly.  If you have any specific questions, please ask or if you just want a rundown, email me and I will send you my phone # to discuss fully. 

sdkar@bellsouth.net
Steve 

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
Any suggestions on venders on latest conversion kits for 69's.
Also any input on staying vacuum or installing one of the new electric kits
Brad
RSSS

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:04:15 AM »
The slow smooth glide of the vacuum headlights on 68-69 Camaro's always gets me. Its classy.
I have only seen one Detroit Speed conversion where the doors did not slam open and closed with a very loud crashing sound.
Can't be good on the equipment or the nerves. Don't know why or even if there is a setting to slow and smooth out the electrics...maybe the battery was low on the one youtube video I found.

So with that said I have always advocated keeping an original RS vacuum vehicle vacuum and worked on more then a few to that end.

Creating a RS clone is another issue, then I advocate going electric due to the cost involved.

Just MHO
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:48:13 AM »
Seems as if cost is not that different in the kits I've looked at
I myself, even though it will be cloned, like playing to the " period correct" mode.
Just trying to decide on kit choices.
Bc69
Brad
RSSS

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:08:10 AM »
The choice of electric versus vacuum is kinda easy.  If you want easy installation, military snap to attention openings and closings, and do not care about originality, get the electric kit.  If you want factory original, impossible to understand vacuum lines all over the place, door openings like a late morning drunken hangover in bright sunlight, Prone to suction leaks at every junction, a large awkward air tank that does not look like it will fit in that small space under the fender, and undependable and unreliable, but hey, you can force them open...go for original vacuum.