Author Topic: VIN Number Question  (Read 32267 times)

ScottJon

• View Profile
Re: VIN Number Question
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 02:39:13 AM »
I spoke to my daughter since it will be her car and she said thank you for your offer but she is not interested, but if you would like to buy her ice cream she would let you

she is 9
Happy 1969 Z28 owner guardian

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 04:24:07 AM »
I bet if I hod out, you will come up to $1500.00 !!!

keep those offers coming Paul

Well, my offer was for "as is" right now, but if you want to complete the restoration first, I'd be happy to give you $1500.00...   ;D

Paul

I want to go back to our original discussion of $500 after the resto.
68Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 05:10:49 AM »
The VIN was assigned as it entered the Chevy side. http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml#chev
It was then stamped in the sheetmetal and the VIN in the stamper was automatically indexed to the next VIN for the next car.
The VIN didn't advance correctly and they caught it. What's interesting is the broadcast sheets apparently were generated for this incorrect VIN, hence the engine VIN stamp.

Was the broadcast sheet on top of the gas tank?
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »
They put numbers in a gang stamp.  They are not always uniform in size.  But, the transmission stamp should look the same as the engine.

Scott - can you post a pic of your transmissions partial VIN? The link below shows where its located...

http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#PartialVINs

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
Hi, unfortunately, the transmission is the only major part that was replaced. there is a M22 in it now, but when i bought the car, the seller told me that the transmission was replaced as a warranty replacement back in 1970, according to the people they bought it from.

The broadcast was not under the gas tank, i suspect the gas tank was replaced at one point as well, Daniel the person helping me with the restoration specifically went looking for the broadcast sheet when he removed the tank. He is pretty sure it is a replacement gas tank.

But all else looks right, the block has the double humps and correct casting, the intake manifold, carb is a DZ, exhaust manifolds, rear end, frame, dash board, etc

I bought this car from an attorney in San Francisco that repossessed it from a husband that didnt pay the bill for the divorce. After i purchased it and had it checked it out, the attorney let me talk to the wife and that is how i got the information i do have. The Attorney had the car checked out in San Francisco and had it confirmed that it was really a Z28. Honestly, i dont think it was all that reliable, you all are so knowledgeable and helpful.

I wish i knew more

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
I spoke to my daughter since it will be her car and she said thank you for your offer but she is not interested, but if you would like to buy her ice cream she would let you

she is 9

Instead of ice cream, I'll introduce her to my 10 year old son.  He'll probably wind up with my 1968 Rally Sport Z/28, after all, he tells all his friends that it's his car now.

Paul

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 05:35:21 PM »
:-)

IZRSSS

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 11:34:54 PM »
Thanx for the info Scott. Amazing what this poor Z has had to endour. Both at the factory and by the previous owners. Sounds like it finally found a good home. How about sharing some pics of what the car looked like before you began restoration?

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 01:30:32 AM »
ok, but dont be mad at me for the STUPID colors, when you say this car has had a rough life.......  the stripes are Ford Mustang Red.

I know, I know, but i didnt do it.

it is going back to Burnished Brown with White stripes as it started life. i wouldnt have chosen Brown, but i cant erase what the car is deep down

has anyone seen Burnished Brown in real life? is it awful ?

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 01:31:24 AM »
Sorry, forgot to add the photo

IZRSSS

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:44 AM »
has anyone seen Burnished Brown in real life? is it awful ?

I never paid much attention to it until now. Sorry guys who have this color but God it looks  :P! On the plus side, how many folks actually ordered that color. And, there isn't a color on this planet that can make a Z look bad (although this one comes close). Now you have the complete package; a unique engine, transmission & paint  ;).

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 02:14:53 AM »
the guy doing the restoration said he can lay down some gold primer under the brown and then play with the clear coat a little.

but Ive seen other brown GM cars from the era, and Im not sure if they were Burnished Brown, but I will stick to calling it Monkey Poop Brown

;D

IZRSSS

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 02:50:02 AM »
You have a fine looking Camaro & your sense of humor is refreshing. Good luck with your project!

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 02:56:55 AM »
Thank you very much, you made my day

Im on Facebook Scott Leibow if you can go there, i put up a photo album of pictures from the restoration.

We are in week 7, every Friday i post another couple of pictures for my family and friends to follow the progress.

We are getting close to taking the paint off. I am so excited and i can't thank every one enough for all the great comments, and insight

i wish i could than you all individually.

if anyone else would like to comment on the VIN or color, Im all ears !

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 03:00:58 AM »
Burnished Brown done right really looks better than you would believe.
There are a few BB copos
HERE is a BB RS Double COPO with liquid tire chain option...

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything