Author Topic: 1969 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am photos  (Read 103188 times)

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Re: 1969 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am photos
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
Jon, those are wonderful photos. Thanks so much for making the effort to share these. I don't know how you manage to find this stuff, but I'm really glad you do.

Is the Don Yenko Camaro the same car Smokey Yunnick built in 1967, painted gold and black? This car appears to be the same car Yenko drove occasionally in the Nascar Grand Touring championship.

Its interesting that the Bud Moore Mustangs started the season fitted with 5-spoke wheels (I call them Daisy mags but I doubt that is their correct name), then they ran a mix of 5-spoke and Minilites, as pictured here, then they ran Minilites at the end of the season.

Interesting too to see the Firebirds don't run front chin spoilers, and the Titus car doesn't wear a spoiler on the rear deck either. Was the front Camaro type spoiler not homologated for the Firebirds?

Boy that Mid Ohio track looks a real handful doesn't it. Easy to see why so many cars ended up with panel damage. It would have been a real testing track.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the compliment (and those of others as well). I have been very fortunate to have had help on this forum from a number of sources but Ron Lathrop of course has been a HUGE help in taking what is done here to "another level". I can't say beyond what I hoped because I hoped BIG when I got this started.  ;D   Ron just helped get us there much quicker than I figured and for that, I am extremely grateful. (Thank you, Ron!!!)

As for the Yenko car, yes it is the one that Smokey built in '67 and it is the same car driven by Don when he won the Citrus 250 Nascar GT race in '69 (where Parnelli Jones debuted the Bud Moore Boss 302).

I don't really understand why Bud Moore switched the usage of his various style of mags around. Maybe someone else has an idea? I think there was concern about the American mags being more prone to breakage than the Minilites but if so, why use them at all if your worried?

I have seen the Firebirds with spoilers at some of the other T/A events. I'm not sure why they aren't on there for the Mid-Ohio event. Yes, Mid-Ohio was a relatively narrow and definitely challenging course. It sure looks like a fun place from the viewpoint of being a spectator and I think the drivers like the course also.
Jon Mello
CRG

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »
I seem to recall a story about one of the 200S/Daisy/Coke bottle magnesium wheels breaking :( on one of the Mustangs and causing severe damage as well as losing the race.
Robert Lodewyk

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
Magazine coverage of the '69 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am, courtesy of Ron Lathrop. Thank you again, Ron!

August 1969 Car and Driver

August 1969 Sports Car Graphic

September 1969 Road and Track

A map of the track showing the turn numbers (in red ink).

1971 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am program
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:58:40 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »
The magnesium 200s wheels had a problem with the center breaking out. This caused George Follmer to crash into the pit wall on the last lap of the last 69 race. I don't know why they ran Minilites and 200's at the same time. It may have been due to wheel availability. The Fords ran a 5x5 bolt pattern up front and a 5x41/2 in the rear due to the Lincoln front brakes. Here are some pictures of a 15x8 magnesium 200s that I have. It is rumored to be off of Revson's car. They have a 4-69 date on the back cast in.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 11:57:37 PM »
The set I have are all 5x5.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 03:20:23 AM »
Thanks a bunch for the information and for posting pics of your wheel. Very neat item.

I heard a story about George Follmer at that Riverside race that you mentioned. I heard he deliberately crashed his car into the pit wall. Yes, I think the wheel may have already been broken but it has been said that he aimed it directly at the end of the pit wall to put the car out of commision so he wouldn't have to drive it anymore. Maybe he was irritated about the cars handling or some other aspect of its performance? Both George and Parnelli had well known bad tempers sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:38:59 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 07:03:22 AM »
Stunning photos Jon, the background knowledge of the cars, drivers and circumstances makes it very enjoyable.
Boy, they drove those cars hard and there is a LOT of panel damage. It's surprising any survived,

You time and effort scanning and posting all those pics is very much appreciated.

Bruce.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »
Thanks, Bruce. I appreciate it. You're right., it does take a bunch of time to post and caption everything but the result is worth it. This is a great reflection on a neat bit of bygone history, and also a great research tool for those that are always looking deeper into the subject.

I will be posting more race reports from this particular race and also have upcoming photos to post of the 1970 Mid-Ohio and Road America Trans-Ams. Stay tuned.
Jon Mello
CRG

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 06:55:25 AM »
Re the Titus Firebirds running without spoilers, I believe that they turned up with aftermarket (ie non factory) spoilers, the front had some funnel shaped ducts, this was questioned by the SCCA, and they had to remove them before the race start.

Bruce.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »
I agree with Bruce and like to say thanks Jon for your time and effort in posting all the cool photos and info.

great stuff !

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »
Selected pages from the 1969 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am program, courtesy of Ron Lathrop. Thanks again, Ron!

Jon Mello
CRG

wrongwayron

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2011, 01:56:31 AM »
You are all welcome. It is a real treat to have this work appreciated. And Jon does a great job arranging and captioning the images (he improves my memory)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 05:38:53 AM »
There is no doubt that you and your terrific photos are greatly appreciated here, Ron. Besides the posted comments, I get private emails attesting to that as well.

Here's a Mid-Ohio Trans-Am race report from my June 28, 1969 issue of Competition Press and Autoweek.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:59:06 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 06:49:40 PM »
Re the Titus Firebirds running without spoilers, I believe that they turned up with aftermarket (ie non factory) spoilers, the front had some funnel shaped ducts, this was questioned by the SCCA, and they had to remove them before the race start.

Bruce.

These two photos found in Michael Lamm's Fabulous Firebirds book show the funnel shaped front spoilers you are talking about, Bruce. It appears that Jerry Titus is in the driver's seat in the one photo but that is Milt Minter's car (#37). It appears these photos are from the Bridgehampton Trans-Am in New York state a couple of weeks after the Mid-Ohio race. Michael Lamm indicates the Firebirds were allowed to run with these.

Jon Mello
CRG