Author Topic: Negative battery cable hook-up  (Read 11898 times)

IZRSSS

Re: Negative battery cable hook-up
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »
This seems to be all a person can do & there should be a lot of them out there in junk yards or maybe at swap meets. Just be carefull, I'm sure their awfully brittle.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
I agree w/Jerry!

I'm not sure how much detail you are after here, but just in case, this "Strap" was added on 1-23-69...hopefully you can begin to understand how important it is to have the AIM.

Hey Marty, I don't see the clip on the alternator bracket. Does this strap take place of the clip? I thought I read somewhere the clip was discontinued and replaced with a strap. Is this the case?
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »
Daniel - Unfortunately all I have to go on is the AIM and its usually the safest bet. If you look at AIM C48 - A2 both are used in unison. Also, the Revision Record only states it was added. Doesn't say anything about a replacement. I guess the thing to remember is both the clip & strap (or some sort of hook) went into effect on 1-23-69. Hope this helps.

IZRSSS

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »
I'm curious to know what #11 looks like installed. Does anyone have a pic they can share?

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 02:02:44 AM »
#11 isn't a hook, its a plastic strap/tie wrap. It secures the battery cable and alternator cable harness together. On AC cars such as yours it may have been routed differently,as pictured.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

IZRSSS

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 02:28:50 AM »
I guess a strap makes sense as long as the negative cable is attached to the swivel clip at the Alternator bracket. Otherwise it would be worthless. As my post stated, I was just interested in seeing a pic as it applies to the AIM. No need now that I know its a strap (knuckle head...it says it right on the AIM  :-[).

BTW #11 wouldn't apply to me...my car is a 12A build. Although I like this set up much better (strap to light harness & neg-cable).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:57:32 AM by IZRSSS »

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 02:07:40 AM »
Here is my 9B of 68 built L34. There was always a clip attaching the alternator harness to the alt bracket. Not sure what you are searching for, but below is a picture my L34 survivor. I have higher resolution just PM me. 
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

IZRSSS

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 02:28:52 AM »
Steve - this thread has changed topic about 3/4 times... sorry if you've been mislead. I agree with you 100% with regards to the negative cable as it relates to the swivel clip on the alternator bracket. My question has nothing to do with that. I was just curious to know what #11 was/is per AIM C48 - A2. When I first looked at it, it looked like it was attached to the alternator itself. You answered my question when you mentioned it was nothing more than a strap. I over looked the description at the top of the AIM pg.

The reason it doesn't apply to me is because #11 was added on 1-23-69 (per Revision Record at the bottom right corner of the AIM pg.). Any cars built prior to this date did not have them. This is why I stated it does not apply to my 12A built car. Hope this clears things up  ;).

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 03:56:06 AM »
That doesn't mean there wasn't something there before that this strip replaced. And you need to read http://www.camaros.org/AIM.shtml - that date has nothing to do when it was implemented on the production line.

Kurt
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 04:36:24 AM »
I'm not sure how anyone keeps up with all this stuff. Thanks, I found it towards the bottom of your link. If I read this correctly, just about any 69 can have this strap. In that case I think I'll add it. Seems like a good idea.

The date of a revision almost never indicates the date the change actually took place on the line; it just shows when the sheet was revised, which could have been well ahead of or well after the part change occurred in production at the assembly plant.