Author Topic: Negative battery cable hook-up  (Read 11887 times)

oneZ11

• View Profile
Negative battery cable hook-up
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:54:53 AM »
And one more, where does the negative battery cable correctly hook up to the engine? (350/300hp - Quad., no air).

I always thought it was the the thermostat bolt, but my engine guy was skeptical.

IZRSSS

Re: Negative battery cable hook-up
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:14:06 AM »
T-Stat bolt/Housing...

oneZ11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
I suspected so, thanks much!

oneZ11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:55:44 PM »
Hey one more question based on your pic, there's a small white tab that's pushed through the alternator bracket from the bottom. What's that holding? (Or am I seeing things?)

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »
That's the wire that goes to the back of the alternator. The tab is embedded in the wiring harness.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »
Here's a better view & the AIM. Horn Assembly & Headlamp Wiring...

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
That's the wire that goes to the back of the alternator. The tab is embedded in the wiring harness.
oneZ11.....Do you have an AIM?   If not, then you need to get one and examine it front to back until you nearly know it by heart.  That is the first thing I did and it in turn answered numerous questions that I had about the Camaro assembly process.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »
I agree w/Jerry!

I'm not sure how much detail you are after here, but just in case, this "Strap" was added on 1-23-69...hopefully you can begin to understand how important it is to have the AIM.

oneZ11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:13:10 PM »
Thanks for the info. Don't laugh, but "AIM" - is that short for the Assembly Manual?

IZRSSS

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
Assembly Instruction Manual. Here are a few. It should be like the first one on the list...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=69+Camaro&_kw=Assembly&_kw=Manual

oneZ11

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »
Great, thanks...

oneZ11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:15 PM »
IZRSSS – Any idea where to get those wiring clips you pointed out in the pics? I checked with Classic Muscle and could not find. Also, one looks white in color.

I found this on Rick's. Is this the one on the fender?

Thx.

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »
A good friend saved these clips (pics) from when he worked for GM. He kept them wanting to use them on his own project. Unfortunately he had to sell his Camaro. I used the ones that worked best for me, neither of which are like the originals.

The clip in your pic is obviously a re-pop but should work fine for the fender. The problem is, the original was not offset (look at pic) but how many people actually know this. This same offset will not work for the alternator bracket. by the time you attach it to the harness and tape it, it will be too bulky to penetrate/seat properly. And, no idea on where to get the clips. I checked for several days and the only one I could come up with is the one in your pic. If you find out, let me know.

As for the color, both of them should be white/off-white. But again, sure beats the heck out of buying the entire harness, and again...who really knows  ;).

oneZ11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 01:31:23 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the legwork and the photos. I'll let you know if I find a accurate repro – not a huge priority right now...

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 04:30:14 PM »
That offset repro clip is used in the middle of the front lighting harness under the rad support.  I haven't found a source for the other clips either.  Probably the best bet is some used harness and take them out.
68Z28

anything