Author Topic: 69 Camaro front fenders, Nos VRS. after market  (Read 8337 times)

canadair

• View Profile
69 Camaro front fenders, Nos VRS. after market
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »
Is there anyway to tell the differance between GM fenders and after market fenders before or after they have been mounted.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: 69 Camaro front fenders, Nos VRS. after market
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »
I think all the repops have the Ralley Sport brackets. So if yours does not they are probably GM unless of course they are Ralley Sport Fenders.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

canadair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:56:55 PM »
Kelley are those rs brackets visible with the fender installed on a non RS car

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
The repros I have seen are very thin metal.

-Mark.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:40:08 PM »
Mark, any comments on the NEW OER FENDERS? Much more expensive than the other OEM fenders. They have nothing in the way of a description on the site, but in the catalog it says:

We now offer these 196x Camaro OEM reproduction fenders manufactured from the original GM tooling!

They're $690.00 as opposed to the other OEM fenders they carry ($240.00), but they say nothing about the metal thickness.

I ask because my son got into a slight fender bender a few weeks ago and I'm looking at replacing the fender instead of trying to pound it out. (It also has rust damage at the rear, so that would have to be fixed as well.) The other drivers insurance company is paying for it, so I can go expensive if I want!

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:53:11 PM »
I ask because my son got into a slight fender bender a few weeks ago and I'm looking at replacing the fender instead of trying to pound it out. (It also has rust damage at the rear, so that would have to be fixed as well.) The other drivers insurance company is paying for it, so I can go expensive if I want!

Ed, are you talking about your '68 L78?  If so, right or left fender?

Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »
Yep. Front right (passenger) side.

The lady merged into his lane without looking. Jason slammed on the brakes, honked his horn and pulled over to the left, but there's a concrete divider in the middle of the road, so he could only go so far. He made tire tracks several inches up the divider!!

She also put a very small crease in the passenger door, but that can be easily fixed.

State Farm (her insurance company) has accepted responsibility so they'll get the bill.

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:11:42 PM »
If you decide to go NOS, let me know.  I know of one purchased in the early eighties from Val Strough Chevrolet in Oakland, CA.

Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »
Thanks Paul, but I'm not sure State Farm will pay NOS prices! I should be able to get away with $700.00 though. I sent you an email regarding the price of the NOS fender.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:46:35 PM by bertfam »

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:12:38 AM »
Ed,
I put a lot of replacement sheet metal on my '69 and most of it was good, some was just OK and a few pieces were just trash.
If I were in your shoes I would be weighing the option of paying up for NOS or even some good used pieces before going to repro. Some cars are worth the extra expense. Not all cars need it but the good cars need good parts IMO. Produced on GM tooling means there is a chance it will fit better but not allways. The thinner metal repros are made from high strength steel and are pretty good for driver cars.  Nothing else will fit and look 100% like GM but original GM parts. If you can save any of the the original stuff - DO IT!! :)

-Mark.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »
Thanks for the input Mark. I'm going to see what State Farm has to say about spending the $$$ on NOS, but I've also heard that later NOS stuff was junk as well. Incorrect size, bad fit, indistinct lines, etc...

Ed