Author Topic: Spark Plug Heat Shield  (Read 3258 times)

IZRSSS

Spark Plug Heat Shield
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »
Can anyone tell me if either one of these heat shield's is correct. The top one has the anchor brace set with a couple of punch welds (for a lack of a better term), and has the letters J A or L R/A. The bottom shield requires a bolt to hold the anchor in place and there are no letters. I am assuming the top one is correct & the bottom one is a re-pop.

1968 Z28

• View Profile
Re: Spark Plug Heat Shield
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »
Marty....AIM, UPC 6, Sheet B9, View C (Left side is screwed together),  View D (Right side is spot welded together).

That indicates that both are correct depending on what side they are used on.

Also according to most accounts, the left side bracket that bolts to the block was attached to the block at paint time....thus the bracket was painted chevy orange as well as the bolt that bolted it to the block....the rest of the bracket was added at the engine dress process.....actually if you look closely at the View C it even states that the bracket and the bolt was part of the engine assembly.  The right side was added later at the engine dress process and none of them were painted as well as the bolt that bolted it to the block.

Now this is the 1968 engine I am talking about....I am not 100% sure that this carried over into the 1969 engine line though.  Maybe some of the 1969 people will know more about this.

This make sense.....?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:23:40 PM by 1968 Z28 »
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
Makes perfect sense Jerry & thanx! I guess I could have saved us both time if I had taken the time to review my own AIM. In fact, the two shields w/o the spot welds had orange paint on the anchor as per AIM/part of the engine assembly. Someone had removed all four at one time and installed one of each on both sides. I wish they hadn't...now its going to be almost impossible to remove the shield on the front L-side w/o removing the engine mount (they installed the spot welded shield in this location)...any ideas?

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:19:34 AM »
I have an unrestored 08C 69Z car and it is exactly as you said for the 68, left side is screwed together, right side is spot welded together, neither show evidence of having paint on them, but hey could have come off over the years.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV