Author Topic: OK guys educate me.  (Read 13872 times)

IZRSSS

Re: OK guys educate me.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 02:34:51 AM »
If a seller has the correct matching #'s engine for a particular car there is no reason why he would not be willing to share the information (PICS). In fact it would be to his advantage. If he is not willing to share the information...this would be my first red flag. I hope you guys don't go through all this trouble just to find the engine you are questioning was never born with the car.

Maybe its just me, but there is no way I would go through all this effort unless I had some legitimate pics well in advance of the trip. You are certainly one of a kind...hat's off to you & I hope it all works out.

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 02:40:57 AM »
Definitely one of a kind, but remember I am going to be in Columbus for the Nationals anyway so I'm out nothing, taking a day to go look at parts, that's my kinda fun. My wife will want a down day to read and relax without me and my son so everyone wins. Not to mention me and my son will both learn more in the process that will help us. I had requested something Camaro related to do on vacation and Misse was kind enough to help me out, so I see no down side here for me. I hope it works out for her.

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »
Can anyone shut me or post a picture of engine casting date so I can study it. In fact any pictures of numbers related to engine or muncie would be appreciated. I have read up on it on CRG but could find a picture of the date casting.

Thanks

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »
Can anyone shut me or post a picture of engine casting date so I can study it. In fact any pictures of numbers related to engine or muncie would be appreciated. I have read up on it on CRG but could find a picture of the date casting.

There's a photo of an engine casting date (E-3-8) in this Ebay listing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Corvette-Small-Block-327ci-3914678-Dated-E-3-8-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f7cd3e2dQQitemZ300510166573QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Paul

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »
Thanks Paul, trying to prepare myself.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 01:21:39 PM »
Man, I did not know that 68 327 blocks with no vin or assembly date were so rare. Maybe I can pull up the one I anchor my boat to.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 01:30:16 PM »
Well, unfortunately my trip to Coolumbus came and went without this guy giving Elizabeth a date to see the engine and parts. Someone in the area will have to step up when and if he allows her to see it. I was really hoping this would/will work out for her. The Nats were a blast and I got a few good parts and had Jeg's customer build (cut) a full cage for Cody's Jeep. Anyone in the area should go to Heath for the cruise next year, only saw one Brown 69 SS and only saw it once. There were a fair number of brand Xs so all are welcome and appreciated.

Good luck Elizabeth.

See ya

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 02:22:15 PM »
Mopar, you sound like a standup guy trying to help. Sounds like this guy wants to take full advantage of the situation. If this forum was the HAMB he'd be paid a visit, and he probably wouldn't like it.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 06:17:18 PM »
remember if the VIN stamp looks like it wasn't gang stamped... it is because on some if not all 68's it wasn't.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »
Its great to see CRG members helping another Camaro driver out.   I have missed some of the posts on Missie's car and I assume it is a 68 Z28 without the original motor.

1) Has anyone verified this is a real 68 Z28?

2) How did they conclude or verify this?

3) I own a 04B 68 L78 and will gladly help when I can but I must know this is a real deal Z28...

4) I suggest the approach to this is to go see the engine, take multiple photos of the engine, close ups of the stamps, cast date, block number etc...  and post here for verification before any money changes hands.   

5) and IMHO Jerry's Z28 books are a must have...

Good luck,   GI JOe

SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

Misse

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 12:44:27 AM »
A huge thanks to everyone for your help and in educating me!  Especiall to Mopar who went above and beyond!  It has been a real education since the orginal post of the value of the original engine to the matching car owner.  I just wanted to give ya'll an update that I went to see the orginal engine today after many e-mails with the seller back and forth.  The first thing I went to verify was the stamping number on the engine block.  When the seller saw what I was trying to verify he told me that the previous owner had the engine rebuilt in 1978 and when they rebuilt the engine the stamping number with partial VIN was removed.  I wish he would have let me know this in the many e-mails sent back and forth, but it does explain why he refused to send the pictures.  All the other numbers I verified on the engine did match but after my education here and from Jerry MacNeish's book I understand that the stamping number iwth partial VIN is what proves it is a 68 Z-28.  I did not bother to disassemble it to verify the crank.  It also did not have the orginal air cleaner assembly, nor did he have every orginal nut and bolt as he claimed.  He did have the muncie shifter, Rally wheels, clutch fan, and a few other small parts.  All in all I did not see how he could be asking 12K without the correct stamping.  I did not discuss the price with hiim just thanked him for his time and said I would be in touch.  All in all I am so glad I found this forum and your exstesive knoweldge.  Thanks again for all of your time and efforts, I truly appreciate it!!

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »
We all share your disappointment. I would also say you were too critical of your knowledge and skill from the beginning. You knew one of the most important points that many experts don't know or have forgotten. You knew when to raise your hand and ask for help. That is no small point and we should never forget how.

Good luck with the car and your search part the correct parts.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 03:48:11 AM »
We all share your disappointment. I would also say you were too critical of your knowledge and skill from the beginning. You knew one of the most important points that many experts don't know or have forgotten. You knew when to raise your hand and ask for help. That is no small point and we should never forget how.

And she knew when to walk away.  Cheers.
68Z28