Author Topic: Z28 on eBay...Real, Correct ?  (Read 18086 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Z28 on eBay...Real, Correct ?
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:40:15 AM »
My friend just sent me this as he was interested. He thought the paint was awesome. Am I seeing a decked block and paper work that looks like it was filled out yesterday?? I am thinking to tell him to pass. Anybody know this car?? It is on eBay. Looks like SO SO MANY things incorrect. Proportioning valves, hoses, stickers..... Danny

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120755314371&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Z28 on eBay...Real, Correct ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:22:55 AM »
Trim tag is a reproduction, eninge stamp is a reproduction, most of the car is amde up of aftermarket hardware, gauge cluster with no clock, shifter with a white knob with the shift pattern on it, master cylinder is wrong, springs are reproductions, Z28s never had space saver spares as an option etc. etc.  Can't even beleive the speedometer cable hasn't broken, its run under the tail peice of the tranny and up the driveres side of the car.

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:10:59 AM »
If your going to fake a car at least try to get some of the obvious things right. I like the "yellow handle" dipstick,  barcode & red sticker on alternator! Trunk braces body color, X77 car with side grills and no rocker spears. Wrong size tires, wrong shift lever, repro steering wheel, trunk latch not painted body color, posi tag on inside of trink lid missing and on it goes
Buyer beware!
just my 2 cents
LM69Z28

TX-302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:11:36 AM »
I have to agree with Mark there are many questionable issues on this car.... in addition to that, the POP and paperwork is definitely not 43 years old..!
Steve
69 Z

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:18:45 PM »
...and that stupid "fan" sticker.

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
It seems the longer the story and the more pictures a person has, the more they are trying to cover up.  If I ever sold my car I'd have 10-15 pictures and a short description of what it has and that's it.  If it's real, it will bear scrutiny.  If it isn't, no amount of BS will change it.  That whole BS novel must have taken as long to write as the "restoration" of that "car" took.
68Z28

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:23 PM »
yeah I'm no expert but it seems like this was born yesterday.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »
Definitely more questions than answers with this one. Appears to be a reproduction trim tag and that POP looks brand new. Lots of incorrect items on the car and not worth anyones time and effort to pursue this as a real deal Z, a real shame as the car does look beautiful in that Lemans blue paint.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 01:16:47 AM »
I have had many cars that the warranty booklet and protecto plate look new. I have a low mile 6 cylinder car now with them. Can't really judge based on newness look.

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 02:04:30 AM »
I have had many cars that the warranty booklet and protecto plate look new. I have a low mile 6 cylinder car now with them. Can't really judge based on newness look.

Charley I think for most folks it would be a combination of items on this one that would call the POP into question. When there is a discrepancy with the trim tag, engine pad stamping etc and then the POP looks brand new....makes you wonder. I agree you cannot judge one item because it looks new but for me this is a combination of issues.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 05:16:51 AM »
You could spend half that money and get a real numbers matching Z28...  and just as nice.  I totally agree with Mark C.  There is a lot wrong with this car and for that price it better be perfect. It sure is pretty though....

FYI- in case you didn't know, You can check eBay Camaro sales to see what has been selling by selecting advance search, 1969 Camaro, checking the past listings box.   
If everything looks correct and checks out, passes the crg review, I would also have someone like Jerry check the car before any money exchange.  Hope that helps.
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 04:25:42 PM »
Yes, this is what I thought. I got most of what everyone noticed but the springs and a couple other things. I'm not THAT sharp. To funny with the Ford Truck fan sticker. Good Times!!... Danny

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »
dont walk away from this car.....RUN!!!!!! there are more things wrong with that car. after a nut and bolt resto, you would think he could put the grille emblem in the right spot. x-77 cars didnt have chrome on the headlight bezels, or vertical chrome on the tail lights, not to mention the qtr gills. did anyone notice the phillips screws holding the plastic for the rug under the pedals? no rocker spears, should have YH rallyes not AD trim tag is fake, the list goes on and on. i will go back and look at the pics again, i know  i am forgetting a few things
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

shupee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »
 I seldom comment on these type auctions but felt compelled to send him a quick note. This type scenario is getting very common.

shupee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »
well I received the following reply:

Well Ken, are you sure your name isn't Ray... all I can say is you are blind and ignorant. This car is not a fake and if you think it is why don't you make some statements about exactly what you think is fake and then bring your experts, we will bring ours and see who is right. If you want to put your money where your rediculous mouth is we will be more than happy to take any bet. Come on DUDE. There is absolutely NOTHING fake about this car. You could not be more wrong. Where do people like you come from... you read some jackals nonsense in a chatroom and take it for gospel. GET A CLUE before you make rediculous statements like you just made. If you are even REAL call me any time at 949-310-6262 and tell me just what exactly you are referring to. You won't because you have no clue or you are just a fake... hiding behind your anonymous eBay name.

- smithird
and this is my reply:

Dear smithird,

well my name is not Ray??? My name is as stated Kenneth Shupe and I'll make you a deal you cannot refuse if your're so sure of your car. I will pay for Jerry Macneish to come and certify your car at no charge I'll even pay for his airfare. If it's not real then hey problem solved if it is I'm out my money and I'll post a full apology anywhere you like. Time to "cowboy up" just let meknow and I'll make a few phone calls and make an appointment for the inspection.
yours truly Kenneth Shupe

anything