Author Topic: Z28 on eBay...Real, Correct ?  (Read 18240 times)

IZRSSS

Re: Z28 on eBay...Real, Correct ?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 02:17:50 PM »
"This is the Holy Grail by most Collector Standards.  This is probably one of the finest examples available on the market today."

Pretty bold statement for a car that is totally out of whack. Add to the list...headers, plug wires, dip stick, space saver spare & I don't think I have ever seen a more perfect spot weld on a trim tag.

As for the engine pad. Fill me in guys. The most obvious is a two tear pad, but what else am I missing?

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen a more perfect spot weld on a trim tag.

Although there are things incorrect on the car, trim tags were not originally spotwelded on, rivets were used.

IZRSSS

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
Thanks for jogging my memory. I guess the years of gunk built up inside the rivet of those I've seen, led me to believe they were welded...including mine.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »
They were filled with seam sealer. To prevent wind noise I'd guess.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 09:06:04 PM »
Dad-gum-it, I know we went down this road before. Must be getting younger... :-\. On the plus side, this confirms I would have real problems trying pass a fake off as the real thing... ;D.

You'd have to admit...this guys rivits are way too pretty.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 05:17:24 AM »
Same thing happened to me. I mentioned that I don't think the block should have a step up on the front pad. Or this or that. I didn't give him everything. Here was his reply...

Dude.... you must be a dealer competing with our car. You don't have clue what you are talking about. Trim Tag not real???? are you serious. Just because we sanded the paint off so you could actually read the numbers??? not Real?? where are you coming from. I love the way clowns like you hide behind your anominity of the internet... why don't you send me phone number along with your real name if you have one. You won't because you are a dealer with a fake car that you are trying to sell. What the heck is wrong with people like you. We have had one of the top Camaro guys in the Country look at this car and checked out everything including all the numbers. You are the only fake on here. Come on dude... put up or shut up. You won't though because you are a clown act.

- smithird

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 05:34:32 AM »
Same thing happened to me. I mentioned that I don't think the block should have a step up on the front pad. Or this or that. I didn't give him everything. Here was his reply...

Dude.... you must be a dealer competing with our car. You don't have clue what you are talking about. Trim Tag not real???? are you serious. Just because we sanded the paint off so you could actually read the numbers??? not Real?? where are you coming from. I love the way clowns like you hide behind your anominity of the internet... why don't you send me phone number along with your real name if you have one. You won't because you are a dealer with a fake car that you are trying to sell. What the heck is wrong with people like you. We have had one of the top Camaro guys in the Country look at this car and checked out everything including all the numbers. You are the only fake on here. Come on dude... put up or shut up. You won't though because you are a clown act.

- smithird

He must be a politician.
68Z28

IZRSSS

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 10:37:50 AM »
Yup he's a pretty slick talker.

Danny, A friend summed the pad up this way; "Numbers/letters are not consistant with others I've seen". In addition, I have never seen a step up or two tier pad. But this guy is good. Some how he managed to throw in some broach marks and even age the deck. This is what keeps me doing a double take. The only thing I can figure is he added acid.

Does anyone know if decks were ever stamped at the factory in error? If so, what process was used to correct it. I would have to assume given the amount of cars produced that this might have occurred more than once. Or, is this one of those...if you told me would you'd have to kill me  ???.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:07:12 AM by IZRSSS »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
<<Does anyone know if decks were ever stamped at the factory in error? If so, what process was used to correct it.>>

Yes. When a pad was mis-stamped or the engine plant needed to convert one suffix type to another, they used a 4" air-powered grinder across the original stamp, and re-stamped the entire code. Photo of a typical engine plant grind-out pad below.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 03:51:02 PM »
Wow! This is the first time my hands started shacking on the mouse. Great pic John...Thanx!

Pretty much sums up this "Holy Grail Z".

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »
Has anybody asked who his expert is, by name? At this point he is aware that this car has problems and is still standing firm, It seems time for law enforcment to get involved.
   VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
Btw, the VIN is 124379N622271.
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 09:46:25 PM »
well I received the following reply:

If you want to put your money where your rediculous mouth is we will be more than happy to take any bet.

- smithird

Ken...I'd say he's offerring you some pocket change...I'd take smit turd on!

...Excellent point Kurt. Infact, now that I look at his E-pad, it looks like he carved it out with a pocket knife.

Metal Man

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
Here's another what is to be believed as a factory grind out and re-stamp

427-KING

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 01:03:20 AM »
Just goes to  further prove the fact that shiny parts trump originality [price wise]every time.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:34:26 AM by 427-KING »

anything