Author Topic: 1967 Small Journal 350  (Read 39024 times)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 Small Journal 350
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
Does anyone know if the pan clear the crank past the cross member if I pull the bolts on the motor mounts and jack up the engine as far as the tranny will allow?

Thanks,
EJ

Pull the distributor, remove the fan, drain the oil and coolant and disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses, remove the engine mount through-bolts, loosen the trans mount bolts, jack the engine up and stuff a piece of 2x4 between the frame stands and engine-side mounts. Set the engine with the timing index line on the balancer at 5 o'clock as viewed from the front (gets the front counterweight up out of the way for more clearance), and remove the pan.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

erikjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
Does anyone know if the pan clear the crank past the cross member if I pull the bolts on the motor mounts and jack up the engine as far as the tranny will allow?

Thanks,
EJ

Pull the distributor, remove the fan, drain the oil and coolant and disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses, remove the engine mount through-bolts, loosen the trans mount bolts, jack the engine up and stuff a piece of 2x4 between the frame stands and engine-side mounts. Set the engine with the timing index line on the balancer at 5 o'clock as viewed from the front (gets the front counterweight up out of the way for more clearance), and remove the pan.

Perfect!  That's the plan then.  Thanks John.
EJ
1967 RS/SS GG/Blk Int - 4sp - Posi - CC - IC - PBR - #Mtch w/POP & Dlr Ship & Wty Info

68RSZ

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:33 PM »
Just curious since you have the POP have you tried contacting the original owner?  He may not be able to verify any of the information you are looking for but it can't hurt.  The guy I work next to is from Waverly IA and recognized the name when I asked him.  He is thinking the son is also named Rod and around 40 yrs old which means the dad would have been prime age to buy a new '67 Camaro.  Again just curious.  This was quite an interesting thread.  Best of luck!

Dave

erikjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »
Just curious since you have the POP have you tried contacting the original owner?  He may not be able to verify any of the information you are looking for but it can't hurt.  The guy I work next to is from Waverly IA and recognized the name when I asked him.  He is thinking the son is also named Rod and around 40 yrs old which means the dad would have been prime age to buy a new '67 Camaro.  Again just curious.  This was quite an interesting thread.  Best of luck!

Dave

I have but when I googled the name and tried to find info online I didn't get anywhere.  If there is any info or contact info you or your friend feels comfortable sharing PM me and I will follow up!  Awesome.
Thanks!
EJ
1967 RS/SS GG/Blk Int - 4sp - Posi - CC - IC - PBR - #Mtch w/POP & Dlr Ship & Wty Info

68RSZ

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »
Sorry he doesn't have any contact info.  I tried Intelius.com and found a possible hit for both a person in their 60's and also their 40's.  Neither in Waverly but one had some very close towns.  Give it a shot.  Wish I could be more help.

z28s4mjg1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »
Hello,
I was employed at Performance Machine in San Luis Obispo California back in the 70's as a crank grinder.   I recall seeing at least two small journal 350 crankshaft that came from 67 Camaro's. Unfortunately I cannot find my book with the forging numbers in it. But I can validate that one of these came from a co-workers 67 SS-350 which I was familiar with and believe was a fairly early production as it did not have the traction bar on the rear end.  This small journal 350  crank hung hung on the rack the entire time I worked there as no one wanted the small journal cranks that would not fit the 4 bolt main blocks.  During my time there and since then I have I have collected many crankshafts.  The one that I find the most interesting is a cast iron 283 crank with a notch in the flange like 302's have and some steel 283's have.  I bet this will start some discussion! I can post photos.  Is there any information on this site about the special 67 SS-350 dimpled connecting rods.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »
>>erikjohn,,,I can relate to your frustration.  I posted on here, I have a complete matching set of Date correct matching Robbins Seat Belts for my 67 Camaro.  I was told Robbins were never put in Camaros.  I believe there was only one owner before this car was purchased by my brother in mid 80's.   Why would anyone have changed a complete set and made sure they were date correct?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

anything