Author Topic: 1967 Small Journal 350  (Read 38710 times)

IZRSSS

Re: 1967 Small Journal 350
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(...All this from a 14yr old? What a vivid imagination...Welcome to CRG!

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »
According to all my sources there was only one 1967 350ci crankshaft and the specs are as follows:

Rod journals   2.10 - otherwise known as the large journal  (Small journals were 2.00)
   Main journals  2.45 - otherwise known as the large journal  (Small Journals were 2.30)

This information was taken from the reference book entitled CHEVROLET By The Numbers written by Alan L. Colvin

So therefore there was not a crankshaft made with mixed small and large journals....they were either one way or the other.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:24 PM »
Right, what I meant was have not seen anything OTHER THAN a large journal 350.  Or have never seen a small journal 350.

I have never seen a large journal 350 either.  I don't think they exist, and if they did as an experimental thing, it probably would have been right at the beginning of production - in September.  I wish I was closer to Orlando. 

BC,
Mine has small journals, I assume that is what you meant.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

erikjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36:02 PM »
:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(...All this from a 14yr old? What a vivid imagination...Welcome to CRG!

LOL Good to be here.  I guess I have had 25 years to get my story straight.  Car was given to me by my dad when I graduated college.  In high school I had my own 75 Camaro that I had built up a 350 - 4:10 posi with locking rear - Reprogrammed TH350 with 3000 stall etc and all the engine goodies.  This car is going to be my baby.  I drove it for a few years when I lived in Phoenix back in late 90's and stuck it into storage for last 10 years while I have been working on my shop.  Now I have a 2000sf shop in the back and me and my wife are going to start restoring this thing as a project together.  Currently searching for work so nothing is going to happen until that happens but with the extra time on my hands want to get this "small journal" mystery figured out.

Thanks guys that have bared with me.  Sorry again about the confusion.  Now what is this about no small rod journals, there seems to be some conflicting info floating around the internet.  Lets open that can of worms and see where it takes us cause I am still sticking with my story even though it has changed slightly.

EJ
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:53:37 PM by erikjohn »
1967 RS/SS GG/Blk Int - 4sp - Posi - CC - IC - PBR - #Mtch w/POP & Dlr Ship & Wty Info

IZRSSS

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
...but with the extra time on my hands want to get this "small journal" mystery figured out.

...there seems to be some conflicting info floating around the internet.  Lets open that can of worms and see where it takes us cause I am still sticking with my story even though it has changed slightly.

EJ

I think we have tried to be as diplomatic as our patients will allow. A friendly word of advise, lets not open a can of worms..as far as I know this case IS closed. Conflicting info as you state comes from your source (reply 44). That site comes from an opportunistic individual from South America who has stolen much of his information from CRG. If the information isn't found here it doesn't exist...period!

erikjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:54 PM »
...but with the extra time on my hands want to get this "small journal" mystery figured out.

...there seems to be some conflicting info floating around the internet.  Lets open that can of worms and see where it takes us cause I am still sticking with my story even though it has changed slightly.

EJ

I think we have tried to be as diplomatic as our patients will allow. A friendly word of advise, lets not open a can of worms..as far as I know this case IS closed. Conflicting info as you state comes from your source (reply 44). That site comes from an opportunistic individual from South America who has stolen much of his information from CRG. If the information isn't found here it doesn't exist...period!

10-4 understood, I will move on with my venture which is not over for me.  Thanks for the insight and valuable information from all that have commented.  I was looking for people that would help me seek the truth about my car.  I have a matching numbers 350 that I was willing tear apart video tape and do whatever to figure out why when 25 years ago the journals were "small".  I guess that there is nothing more that I can gain from this because you are shutting me down on my quest.  I was hoping for some open mindedness even if I find out that I am wrong about my car.  All I have done to date is prove that the engine and the car are a match(which was also openly disputed).

All the best,
EJ
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:04:32 AM by erikjohn »
1967 RS/SS GG/Blk Int - 4sp - Posi - CC - IC - PBR - #Mtch w/POP & Dlr Ship & Wty Info

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 05:00:45 AM »
With due respect to Marty, his opinion does not represent the forum.
I'm still interested in the discussion. But I'm still a doubter.
Both bearing sizes changed with the SS350. By November, they had been making SS350's for months. To have one with the wrong bearings would not happen in a production enviroment. They were making engines, one after the other and all used the same components.
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »
Where in my response does it say I was representing anyone but IZRSSS? Since when does one persons opinion, other than core members, significantly impact an entire forum? This response was made by me and me alone and only represents my opinion. The point I was making is that I am satisfied with responses to this persons question/lament and as far as "I" am concerned, this topic no longer has any significance.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »
EJ, as stated earlier there are different journal sizes.

"Small journal" SBC crankshafts are generally from 265, 283, and 327 engines up to about 1967. (excluding the 1967 350)
"Large journal" (sometimes called medium journal) SBC crankshafts started in about 1968. (again started in 67 with the 350).
"400 journal" cranshafts were used in the 400 cubic inch SBC engines starting about 1970.

Small journal is 2.00 rods and 2.30 mains.
Large journal is 2.10 rods and 2.45 mains.
400 journal is 2.10 rods and 2.65 mains.

EJ, just try not to sound so demanding when you are a relatively new poster on a site.  The people on this site are great and knowledgeable, but the patience level can drop when you seem to demand answers.

IZRSSS

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
There is one individual who without question has helped me more than anyone with my fact finding endeavors. It is hard even for me to find any justification for venting on him...because there isn't any. It speaks volumes of an individuals integrity, character, and restraint not to get caught up in meaningless argumentative conversations.  

EJ - I have spent countless hours reading information in CRG's archives, and countless threads/posts as they relate to the fledgling days of this site. Everyone has been in your shoes. In fact, I find many of these threads more entertaining than actual fact finding. It's refreshing to know that even the guys with the pretty gold stars were once prone to the same mistakes as the rest of us. I too came to this site with all cylinders firing ready to take on anyone who got in my way. I soon learned the information I possessed was more like a grain of sand in an ocean of knowledge. If there is any advise I can give you, spend some time on CRG's main page and the topic; "About the CRG". This will give you a sense of who the members are and the qualifications these gentlemen posses.

There are many, many other honorary members who never cease to amaze with their comand of the First Generation topic. Unfortunately, you can only learn to appreciate this by spending more time reviewing their posts. As for me, don't let the "H" word next to my name fool you. Although everyone else who has the "H" next to their name has earned it...for me, it simply indicates I have way too much spare time on my hands. Bottom line, I didn't mean to cut you off & good luck with your project.

Thanks bcmiller...    

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »
Sure, no problem Marty.  

tyson

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 02:00:53 AM »
wow!! that car has changed some since I seen it last!!! If you have any pics of it back in the day post them!!!! When you get it done we will have to run it against my GN or the old 442!!! lol!

erikjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
Bottom line, I didn't mean to cut you off & good luck with your project.

Thanks bcmiller...     

No problem thanks guys for the explanation, sorry if I came across as demanding.  I think I am going to have to pull the pan and check what the crank and rod numbers are.  I can't remember though if I can do that without pulling the motor.

Does anyone know if the pan clear the crank past the cross member if I pull the bolts on the motor mounts and jack up the engine as far as the tranny will allow?

Thanks,
EJ

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »
Yes, you can get the pan off without pulling the engine.  I don't rmember what I had to do exactly, but I had my pan off several years ago.
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

erikjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM »
wow!! that car has changed some since I seen it last!!! If you have any pics of it back in the day post them!!!! When you get it done we will have to run it against my GN or the old 442!!! lol!

Yeh, it's been 20 years since you saw it.  It still runs like a champ.  I have put about 20k miles on it though since then when I was driving it back in the late 90's as my main vehicle (wtf).

anything