Author Topic: 5 speed swap  (Read 4709 times)

mopar346

• View Profile
5 speed swap
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:17:35 AM »
I believe I want to go with a 5 speed in Cody's Camaro as oppose to a 6 speed. I have been told that a late model 5 speed will work fine up to 450HP or so. I have also been told that you can get an S10 5 speed and change the gear set for more strength. Either the Camaro or the S10 gear box will bolt up to an early bell and use the mechanical clutch linkage instead of hydraulic. How close is my info to correct?

I have located a 5 speed out of a late 80s early 90s Camaro with a 305, anybody know the gear ratios? How much should I offer, assume it's a core.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: 5 speed swap
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:29:16 AM »
There is a sticky at Team Camaro about swapping in a TKO into a first gen.  Has info about TKO types, gears, and selection for final gearing.

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:52:49 PM »
Thank you I may have to wonder over there.

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:49:30 AM »
Went to Team Camaro and did a little reading. My original question was based on using a production 5 speed from a Camaro or an S10 not an aftermarket tranny. Is the stock unit a TKO? Maybe that is my confusion. Does anyone have any experience with swapping in a production unit. I'm looking to do a low budget (read best bang for the buck not I aint spending a sufficeint amount if necessary) build and am always interested with production parts swapping like inthe old days. The ones of you that built cars as broke teenagers know what I mean.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »
The people on Team Camaro do a lot of different things to their cars.  More so than the people on here...usually...  You might have better luck asking over there? 

anything