Author Topic: 1969 Wolverine Trans-Am photos  (Read 193946 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Wolverine Trans-Am photos
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2011, 06:41:04 PM »
When I saw that car of Craig Jackson's at the Sonoma Historics this year, there was a sign board that had some info about the car but I neglected to get a photo of it (feeling stupid now). It did say something about it being the #3 car from the '69 season and that it went to the Penske team and was used by them for testing and development (to the best of my recollection).
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2011, 02:04:26 AM »
There are pictures of possibly a third car....it is #2, and has "DON WHITE" written on it.  I believe it may have been a promo car or possibly a back up car...who knows for certain.  There are pictures inside of Kaplan's shop showing at least three cars under construction, but I think he had orders to build 'customer cars' as well.  At this point, I think it would be hard to confirm anything unless Kaplan's records were thorough and available.  In any event, I'm pretty sure there is no proof that a 69 car was run with a 70 nose on it, an retained the 68/9 taillight panel.

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 12:15:50 PM »
Don White was the an official AMC driver in Nascar's version of Trans-Am, which was called Nascar GT and later Nascar Grand American. John Martin also drove in Nascar GT with a Javelin and used car #4. Possibly the same #4 that was run in Trans-Am. I don't know for sure. Seems like Jim Pascal was the most successful Javelin guy in Nascar GT in 1969 but I don't know if his car was prepared by Ronnie Kaplan or not. I'm thinking it was not.
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 02:03:43 PM »
I haven't done much research about Don, or the GT series, but yes, Paschal was the success for AMC in that series.  I have some pictures of Paschal's car at Daytona, and its quite funny how it is assembled.  I'm 99% certain that the AMC unibody is cutaway underneath, and a GM front clip installed.  It is 'rear steer' (AMC's are front), the shock towers are gone (again, AMC suspension similar to Mustang) and other numerous oddities.  I highly doubt that the T/A cars ever saw any GT action, though anything is possible. 

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
I would be very interested in seeing the photos of the Jim Paschal (pronounced like rascal) Javelin that you mention. There definitely were cars that raced in both the Trans-Am and Nascar GT series but that was usually just for the events at the Daytona Speedway such as the Paul Revere 250 and the Citrus 250.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2011, 04:32:57 AM »
Here are the Jim Paschal Javelin photos from klvn8r. The Nascar GT cars are built in a style very similar to a Nascar Grand National
car of that era and are built to take the pounding of a high speed oval and also some of the dirt and asphalt short tracks on the
schedule. The first picture is from the '69 season and the last photo is from 1970. The engine photos may be from 1970 since
klvn8r tells me they are the heads with the dog-leg ports and those heads came out on the '70 AMC cars.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:45:13 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2011, 01:26:15 PM »
I wonder, if perhaps, the 'goofy' chassis (obviously not AMC) forced the homemade headers or if they are 'pre-production' dog leg heads.  Who knows....  either way, those are some FUNKY headers!!  Notice the weight jackers and shims on the left front suspension....not AMC.  Oddly, that seat appears to be stock Javelin.  The picture from 1970 I believe is the same car with a sheet-metal upgrade.  Thanks for posting this stuff, Jon.

klvn8r

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2011, 03:33:53 PM »
I wonder, if perhaps, the 'goofy' chassis (obviously not AMC) forced the homemade headers or if they are 'pre-production' dog leg heads.

klvn8r

I'm not sure I'm following the dog leg head assumption. After blowing up the posted photos, I can't see anything definitive that one can say they are dog legs. There is tremendous speculation when it comes to these vintage AMC's, I hate to see it continually promoted. Can you please clarify?
Thanks,
Bob

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »
I'm assuming the dog leg exhaust port based purely on my own theories....mainly, why isn't this a regular header flange.  The photos in hand APPEAR to be cast iron (approx the first 2" of header as it leaves the cylinder head).  AMC promoted that the dog leg exhaust flowed 50% better than the previous head.  Production dog legs arrived for the 70 model year cars....thus, I'm assuming that they were working on them in 1969.  You are right, I cannot say definitively that they are dog legs... 
 As far as other speculation, I'd love to help clarify some of it, if possible.  Is there something specific you're referring to?

klvn8r

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
klvn8r, Thank you for your response. As I partake in this forum, I have found it very evident of the professionalism shown here, and respect it as such. I'd like to see it continue with only facts, and not assumptions, as have been common on other venues. This very subject of dating AMC cars, or others by your assumptions can lead to erroneous conclusions. I appreciate your photos and input, but I will continue to question not just your or anyone's post that I feel some clarification is in order. 
  Again, Thank you for this clarification that this particular photo may not have been taken in 1970.
Bob

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2011, 01:42:05 AM »
Bob,  those photos are all from a group that are 1969 Daytona, save for the pic of the 70 model.  I just included that one to Jon to show the differences between a 69 and 70 Javelin, since this is primarily a GM forum.  I have some others he can post, if he wants.  On top of that, the Baby Grand cars are quite "off topic" even in this forum, but somehow it was mentioned a few pages back that the T/A Javelins may have also been used in the Baby Grand series.  I guess my point here, "no, at least not THIS car".  Too many differences from the T/A cars.   You're right, facts are way better....I think the biggest gripe that I have is the Ford group's  "if we had been on the Goodyears, like Penske, we would have won in 69".   Yeah, and if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his...  :^)

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2011, 01:46:46 AM »
Just for clarification, all of the B/W pics are 1969 Daytona, including the engine pics.  The color pic is 1970.   Also, 1970 is the year for regular production cars to get the dog leg from the factory.  I don't have a factual reason why the 69 car has such an oddball header flange.   Hope this isn't getting too confusing.

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2011, 03:22:37 AM »
These two photos also provided to me by klvn8r do a better job of showing the exhaust manifold/header on this Jim Paschal Javelin. Odd stuff.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2011, 11:46:40 PM »
Ronnie Bucknum stands with his #9 Penske Camaro prior to the race. Looks possibly like Penske crew chief Chuck Cantwell in the background.

Jon Mello Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2011, 06:24:04 PM »

More photos from the 1969 Wolverine Trans-Am.

Jon Mello Collection

Jon Mello Collection

Jon Mello Collection

Jon Mello Collection
Jon Mello
CRG