Author Topic: Trans Am racing pace car pics...are there any?  (Read 245207 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Re: Trans Am racing pace car pics...are there any?
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2013, 09:32:44 PM »
Here are two pictures of the pace lap for the Trans Am race at Donnybrooke International Speedway, Brainerd, Minnesota on July 5, 1970.  They are part of a photostream posted on flckr by "carpenterdesign," but they are mistakenly identified as Road America.  You can barely see the 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T convertible at the head of the pack.  Better pictures of this car can be seen on the third page of this thread.  See the photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/46104238@N02/with/4240231019/#photo_4240231019  There are lots of other interesting Trans Am photos there.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »
Here is a picture of the start of the Continental Divide Trans Am race at Continental Divide Raceways, Castle Rock, Coloroado on August 27, 1967.  It shows the 1967 Ford Mustang convertible pace car at the end of pit lane.  The picture is part of a photostream posted on flckr by "carpenterdesign."  You can see a larger version here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/46104238@N02/4402654669/in/photostream  A larger picture of the car can be seen on page 6 of this thread.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »
Here is a picture of the pace lap of the Trans Am race at Donnybrooke International Speedway, Brainerd, Minnesotta on July 4, 1972.  The picture was taken by Jerry Winker and a larger version can be seen here: http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v/1972/TA/72TA-1+_850+x+618_.jpg.html  The car appears to be an 1972 AMC Matador.
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2013, 05:12:05 PM »
To follow up on Reply #87 on page 6 of this thread, I was able to find some vintage footage of the 1969 Can Am race held at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on August 17, 1969 that shows the 1969 Ford Mustang convertible pace car driven by Stirling Moss.  This is the same car that was used to pace the Trans Am race at Mid-Ohio a few months earlier on June 8, 1969.  See the footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yd-jmoM0hY  In it you can see the 1969 Mustang convertible pace car cooming through pit lane as the Can Am cars get the green flag.  See it between 0:31 and 0:37.

I took a few photos of the car as the footage was paused.
Scott

T/AracingFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2013, 07:05:51 AM »
I can't thank you guys enough for continuing to help with these pics!  You guys are sooo helpful and I don't take it lightly.  I've been so darn busy for so long now because of work and family, I haven't been able to talk on here but I'm currently not employed now so I thought I'd try to hangout with you guys again.  I was utterly amazed to see that this thread is 7 pages long now...lol!  I'm gonna take some time tomorrow and look through it all.

As far as our racing series went on Forza Motorsport 4 as mentioned in the first post, it went fairly well at first then died very quickly because I couldn't put the time into it that I wanted.  I have alot of photos and possibly a little video of the first three races.  The good news is that a friend of mine who is highly interested in Trans Am racing is teaming up with me to do one big (hopefully EPIC) replica only Trans Am race event on Road America which will include a "best replica" paint contest.  The whole purpose of this race will be to replicate as close to real as possible the real thing for video and pics purposes.  I promise at some point I will post the video here since you guys have helped me sooo much with things. ;-)

I do want to share one video with you that my friend and T/A series co-owner/creator did to showcase my crown jewel of my Trans Am paint jobs that was tranferred over to Forza Horizon on an SS model Camaro which consequently took 3rd place in one of the paint contests.  They did some great modeling of cars in Forza games but unfortunately the '69 Camaro didn't get the most accurate treatment and there really were no rims that I could use that looked like the right rims so I had to improvise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_mpUXfayc

I also painted the nose chrome on one of my '69 Trans Ams to try to recreate Jerry Titus's #13 car but I need to perfect that paint job before I show it off. ;-)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2013, 05:12:23 AM »
Thanks for checking back in and for posting a link to that car you added the Sunoco livery to. I guess I don't understand enough about that program. How can you add the lettering, decals and numbers and change wheels yet not get rid of the SS badging and other such details that are considered incorrect?
Jon Mello
CRG

T/AracingFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »
In Forza Motorsport 4 the car is a Z28 with the right hood, badging and all for a stock Camaro including the usually not wanted vinyl top and in some cases unwanted RS trim.  This is the car that I originally created the livery for.  The next Forza game that came out is called Horizon and you are able to transfer paint work you've done from Forza 4 to Horizon.  Unfortunately in Horizon only the RS/SS model was offered hence the wrong badges and such.  All of the actual paint work you see on the car is made from scratch out of shapes.  We can do pretty much anything to a car on Forza paint wise but we're stuck with what they offer us as far as trim and the cars in general usually.  The only reason I'm showing the SS model to you is that's the game my friend decided to surprise me and feature on his youtube page.  I've got other pics of the car on Z28 just not sure if I did video.  The more I think about it though I think I might.  I'm all about accuracy especially with T/A cars but you can only work so much with.  Another great example is that I had to paint the Smokey Yunick Camaro design on a '68 Firebird if I wanted the metallic gold to look right and on the right year car.  I didn't want to but if I painted it on a Camaro it would have to be the '69 and no metallic gold.  >:(

The cool thing about this car is that I hand painted (well electronically) realistic looking hood and "optical illusion" rear trunk pins with chrome look, all the number/font is made from scratch, pinstriping and even painted the gas filler on top of the trunk and emblems again made from single shapes sized, stretched, skewed, adjusted transparency, etc.  The rims is the most frustrating situation for either of these Forza games because they actually do offer a similar wheel to the mini lites but they don't allow it to be painted in color and there's no depth to the wheel.  I'll try to find some more pics of the actual Z28 and get you a link if you still want to see it on a more accurate car model.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2013, 05:25:22 AM »
I guess I had thought that since you could paint on the lettering and decals you could add blue paint over the SS emblems to essentially "erase" them. It sounds like that's not possible based on what you are telling me. Strange that you had to go to a different year and model to do an effective Smokey Yunick inspired car. Hopefully the programs will continue to improve and you can get exactly what you're looking for.
Jon Mello
CRG

T/AracingFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm all about accuracy and it's definitely frustrating that I don't have the right years and in some cases right models but...

when it comes to console simulators Forza 4 has got THE most selection of cars that were in the Trans Am series and for that I'm thankful.  For example, it's rival, GranTurismo 5 completely dropped the ball by offering two race pony cars, the '69 Camaro and the '70 Challenger and every other car like the Mustang is not a numbered race car and in fact cars like the early Cougar is just a plain jane car that they don't even offer the right custom rims for.  Not to mention you can't do vinyl work in the sim.  Forza 4 has over 16 of the Pony cars alone not including the under 2.0L class.  Although some of them are not 100% accurate year and model wise, they all are vinyl paintable, race modifiable, tunable etc.

I just choose to look at it that way whenever I can.  ;)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »
Here are a few more pictures of the 1969 Camaro SS convertible that paced the Trans Am race at Laguna Seca Raceway, Monterey, California on August 24, 1969.  To see the other pictures of this car go to replies 28 & 29 on page 2 of this thread.

The first picture was taken by Dave Friedman in pit lane before the pace laps began. It is part of the Dave Friedman Collection at The Henry Ford. A larger and clearer version can be seen here: http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/perl/options.pl?imageID=111274&productTypeID=62&ckon=imageThumb  Click on image to magnify. Unfortunately it's sideways on their site.

The second picture was taken by Dave Friedman during the race.  You can see the back half of the Camaro parked in the pit lane as the two Penske Camaros go by on the racetrack. It is on the very left of the picture. It is also part of the Dave Friedman Collection at The Henry Ford. A larger and clearer version can be seen here: http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/perl/options.pl?imageID=111308&productTypeID=62&ckon=imageThumb  Click on image to magnify.

The same 1969 Camaro SS396 convertible also paced the Monterey Grand Prix for Can Am racecars at Laguna Seca a month and a half later on October 12, 1969. This race was won by Bruce McLaren in his Chevy powered McLaren M8B.

The third picture shows the Camaro pace car leading the Can Am cars as they head down the famous "Cork Screw" during the pace lap of the 1969 Monterey Grand Prix. This picture shows that the Camaro is equipped with the ZL2 cowl induction hood. It is part of the Dave Friedman Collection at The Henry Ford. A larger and clearer version can be seen here: http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/perl/options.pl?imageID=109317&productTypeID=62&ckon=imageThumb  Click on the picture to magnify.

The fourth picture shows the Camaro sitting in pit lane during the 1969 Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca Raceway waiting to be called on during a caution period.  It is part of the Dave Friedman Collection at The Henry Ford. A larger and clearer version can be seen here: http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/perl/options.pl?imageID=109693&productTypeID=62&ckon=imageThumb  Click on image to magnify.

A few more pictures of the same car will appear in the next post.
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
Here are a few more pictures of the 1969 Camaro SS 396 convertible that was used to pace both the 1969 Trans Am race and 1969 Can Am race at Laguna Seca Raceway, Monterey, California. 

I found the first picture somewhere on the internet a few years ago.  It shows the Camaro in color pacing the Can Am cars during the pace lap of the 1969 Monterey Grand Prix.  If this is your picture let me know so I can give proper credit.

In the second picture you can see the Camaro parked in front of the Can Am grid, which included both McLarens on the front row. It is part of the Dave Friedman Collection at The Henry Ford. A larger and clearer version can be seen here: http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/perl/options.pl?imageID=109498&productTypeID=62&ckon=imageThumb  Click on image to magnify.

The third picture shows the Camaro sitting in pit lane during the 1969 Monterey Grand Prix Can Am race. It is part of the Dave Friedman Collection at The Henry Ford. A larger and clearer version can be seen here: http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/perl/options.pl?imageID=109694&productTypeID=62&ckon=imageThumb  Click on image to magnify.
Scott

T/AracingFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2013, 06:22:02 AM »
Thanks so much guys!  Really appreciate this.  Hopefully a lot of other people who might be curious about them is getting something from these great pics and info.  ;)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »
Here is another picture showing the pace lap for the Mission Bell 200 at Riverside International Raceway, Riverside, California on October 4, 1970.  This was the last race of the 1970 season and you can see another picture of the 1971 AMC Javelin (SST?) pace car in post #85 on page 6 of this thread.  Even though the picture gives a different website, I found the picture here: http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=56904.0  There are several other interesting pictures of the Boss 302 Mustangs that participated in the event, both factory and independent.
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »
Here is another picture of the 1971 Ford Mustang Convertible pacing the Trans Am race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio on June 6, 1971.  The picture appears in the bottom right corner of the December 1971 edition of CircleTrack & Highway on page 46.  I found the picture on this website on page one of a thread entitled, "1971 Trans-Am season review."  It was posted by Jon Mello and the original picture of the full page can be seen here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9705.0.  Other pictures of the car can be seen in this thread on page 3, post #42 and page 5, post #68.
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2013, 05:42:38 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures that show that a 1970 Corvette was used as the pace car for the Trans Am races held at Laguna Seca Raceway, Monterey, California on April 19, 1970.

The first picture shows the Corvette in the pits just as the over 2.0 liter Trans Am cars get the green flag.  I found this on the internet a few years ago so if this is your photo, please let me know and I will give you credit.

The second picture shows the Corvette going through the famous cork screw with the under 2.0 liter cars following on the pace lap.  I found this picture here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,335735/highlight,/sid,857785a8732ab4862aa017fa5f52c819/

You can see another picture of the Corvette pace car in reply #48 on page four of this thread.
Scott

anything