Author Topic: Engine pinging getting louder !!  (Read 10394 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
Engine pinging getting louder !!
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:48:47 PM »
I can’t quite put my foot on it. I have a 69 Camaro with a 406. I'm getting a heavy tick/ping when I start to accelerate at low RPM's and its getting louder. Here is what’s happening:

1. Slight ticking at low idle but gets louder with Rpm increase at stand still. Sounds like a deisel engine.
2. Worst when engine is not fully warmed up it seems?
3. When I start to move, it becomes louder until a certain sweet spot is reached on the gas.
4. If I put the pedal to the floor or accelerate quickly and pull the RPM back and cruise, it goes away.
5. The clack appears at the low end and high end of the RPM band, but when I  cruise and hit that sweet spot the engine sounds normal.

At first I thought it was collector gasket or exhaust issue but I'm not sure anymore?
Also, after a bit more investigation myself, I'm wondering if it can be piss poor premium Gas??

I always add a bottle of octane boost but might have easily not done it the last time I filled it up??

Anyone have similar issues before? Any advice would be appreciated.

I Pray its not a huge valve job issue??

Nick P.

My68SS

• View Profile
Re: Engine pinging getting louder !!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 04:20:16 PM »
Are you running forged pistons? They need more bore clearance especially race forge, and clatter most when the engine is cold.
Does it sound like the noise is from one place only, as in one clack per firing of only one cylinder, or does it sound like all cylinders are clattery?
If it sounds like only one cylinder, you could try pulling each spark lead off in turn. If it's piston slap, the noise will disappear when you stop that cylinder from firing

That it happens at idle tends to rule out fuel/combustion ping
All of your points are typical of piston slap, except No 4, though it may be because of extra heating of the pistons making them expand a bit more and run quieter.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

nlpirr

• View Profile
Re: Engine pinging getting louder !!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 03:37:32 PM »
Not sure about the pistons being "forged", but the noise does seem to come from one location. Its almost like a tapping sound/vibration.

I'll need to have a pro look into it since I dont know what to do in terms of trouble shooting this.

Thanks for the help and advise. at least I'll know what to ask my mechanic.

Nick P.