Author Topic: Correct Belts (engine compartment)  (Read 2798 times)

IZRSSS

Correct Belts (engine compartment)
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:23:22 PM »
I have two different belt designs. Can someone tell me which one is correct, and can you tell me which supplier you use?

Thanx

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Correct Belts (engine compartment)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
Marty, it's difficult to tell by the pictures, but both appear to be aftermarket and not original GM belts.

And all GM belts were smooth. Ribbed is an aftermarket thing.

Ed

69znut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »
Ribbed is correct. Ricks Camaro's or any NAPA auto parts.
Ribbed belts generate less friction and heat on the smaller diameter pulleys because of the notched area allowing flex compression.
Smooth belts compress on the inner radius of small pulleys and the narrow side actually bunches up to generate heat and eventual fatigue.
They are better suited for industrial applications but were used on much older cars too.

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »
69znut, I am not sure where you got your information but the "ribbed" or "cogged" belts were never used on any first gen Camaro. I don't think I have ever seen any Camaro from the factory with that style of belt unless it was serpentine...............RatPack..................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:37:15 PM »
The "cogged" belts (like Dayco "Top-Cog" and Goodyear "Gatorback") are functionally superior to the normal smooth V-belts, but cogged belts were never used in production on 1st-Gen Camaros. I've used the Dayco cogged belts on solid-lifter small-block Corvettes for many years, and have never lost one or had one "flop over"; however, they don't fly in judging - that's when the Quanta reproduction belts go on.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »
Great information gentlemen...much appreciated!

anything