Author Topic: Tranny Swap Issues  (Read 26580 times)

mikecio1

• View Profile
Re: Tranny Swap Issues
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:44 PM »
I saw your other thread. The bracket part that you linked in the other thread (that Heartbeat City is selling) works ONLY for the OEM '69 Hurst shifter - not for the aftermarket Hurst shifter. The shifter you have now is probably for a "universal" application and it is causing you fitment issues.

I just did some checking and the shifter parts availabillity situation has gotten bad. Hurst has combined kits and eliminated many of the parts you used to be able to buy individually.

It just isn't 1968 anymore.  ;)

-Mark.

Not 68??? That sucks!

mikecio1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 11:29:07 PM »
Mike,
Do you have "studs and nuts" holding the 3 shifter levers on the side of the transmission or are they all held on with bolts? The bolt-on levers style was a '69 and up Muncie setup and the studs and nuts was the 68 and earlier style.

If you have the studs and nuts, the '68 Camaro Hurst shifter may be right for you. If you have the bolt-on levers the '69 Hurst setup is what you want. The kits have changed a little recently and the stuff they are selling today is much more "universal fit".  The Big Block shifter mounting bracket used to be different from the small block mounting bracket and the linkage was all different.  I have no idea how well they fit now.

Hurst has made it "easy" for people in a bad way. It's a shame.

-Mark.

I have a 69 Muncie ( I date coded it) it has the bolts not studs.

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 12:02:04 PM »
Mike,
One last thing to verify - Check the tailhousing casting number. It should be the 3857584 that fits the 27 spline output shaft and 5 threadded holes where the shifter attaches. 1970 and up used a different tail housing with only 3 shifter mounting holes (totaly different hole pattern) and a bigger output shaft. If it is the right '69 and earlier casting number on the tailhousing you want the '69 Camaro Hurst Competition Plus kit and it should all go together fine. That is the only kit that will work.

Hurst used to have separate install kits for BB and SB but that has changed recently. The original '69 Camaro kit required customers to re-use the original application specific GM shifter mounting bracket. Most other applications used a Hurst supplied universal bracket. At some point in time Hurst began including a 2-piece shifter mounting bracket assembly in the '69 Camaro kits. I think I have one of those 2-piece brackets out in my spare parts bin. It should be interesting to see what they supply these days because it looks like they cover BB and SB in the same kit.

-Mark.

mikecio1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »
Mike,
One last thing to verify - Check the tailhousing casting number. It should be the 3857584 that fits the 27 spline output shaft and 5 threadded holes where the shifter attaches. 1970 and up used a different tail housing with only 3 shifter mounting holes (totaly different hole pattern) and a bigger output shaft. If it is the right '69 and earlier casting number on the tailhousing you want the '69 Camaro Hurst Competition Plus kit and it should all go together fine. That is the only kit that will work.

Hurst used to have separate install kits for BB and SB but that has changed recently. The original '69 Camaro kit required customers to re-use the original application specific GM shifter mounting bracket. Most other applications used a Hurst supplied universal bracket. At some point in time Hurst began including a 2-piece shifter mounting bracket assembly in the '69 Camaro kits. I think I have one of those 2-piece brackets out in my spare parts bin. It should be interesting to see what they supply these days because it looks like they cover BB and SB in the same kit.

-Mark.

It is totally a 69 Muncie.

Thanks again for your help!

mikecio1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »
OK I did it right, (I hope) Fund the correct shifter and I believe its pretty close to were it suppose to be.
Thanks for all your help on this theard and the other I had posted to ask about a bracket
Bruce at Manchester Muncies was very helpful. Also Pete Serio was a world of infor too. Thanks you both and to everyone here on the forum who had input

Now on to the next project
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8379.0
Thanks again
Mike
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:27:18 PM by mikecio1 »

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
Not only do the correct mounts move it over to the right they also move it foward as a big block it about one inch foward. you may still need a longer driveshaft

mikecio1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »
Not only do the correct mounts move it over to the right they also move it foward as a big block it about one inch foward. you may still need a longer driveshaft

No problem there. It only brought it out about a 1/2 inch. And there was plenty of drive shaft still shoved in there.

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 12:58:29 AM »
Nice looking car Mike...

Off topic to some degree I grant you, but could you relate what the dimensions of your TT II's are - dia/offset/backspacing etc. and what your tire sizes as pictured are for my info, as I would like to get a similar second set of wheels and tires soon and whether or not you have any rubbing or issues with them rubbing or hitting anything on tight turns or bumps when driving with your set up?

Also the steering wheel you have looks like a Grant or ?? other make. Is it a smaller diameter than the original OEM type or does it fit with the same dimensions as an original wheel?

Any info you care to share is much appreciated  - Randy

mikecio1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 10:39:11 AM »
Nice looking car Mike...

Off topic to some degree I grant you, but could you relate what the dimensions of your TT II's are - dia/offset/backspacing etc. and what your tire sizes as pictured are for my info, as I would like to get a similar second set of wheels and tires soon and whether or not you have any rubbing or issues with them rubbing or hitting anything on tight turns or bumps when driving with your set up?

Also the steering wheel you have looks like a Grant or ?? other make. Is it a smaller diameter than the original OEM type or does it fit with the same dimensions as an original wheel?

Any info you care to share is much appreciated  - Randy

Hi Randy, I got the wheels at wheelsforless.com
Product ID: VN5155761
Product Name: Torq Thrust 2.1 15x7 5/4.75 -6mm offset 3'76 backspace.
http://www.wheelsforless.com/detail.aspx?ID=5711
The tires are BFG 225/60/15 from Discount Tire Direct.Com
I have no rubbing issues at all. My friend went with 235 and had some inner fender issues up front on his 69.

Yes the steering wheel is a grant. It seems to have the same dimensions as the stock one. I never had the stock one so I couldn't tell you for sure. But when I look at others cars it seems the same. Since the pic I changed the center cap. Grant makes one that looks more like a stock cap. Its red white and blue around a bow tie.

mikecio1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS3l-ZfBSWg

Quick Video after we were done

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »
Mike thanks for the info, it is certain to be helpful - Randy

matt540

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 12:26:13 AM »
I kinda jumped into your project a little late, but I am doing basically the same thing you were, mine is happening because I put in power steering and I realised there was no way the steering box would fit with the BB sitting on Sb mounts.  My question is.....  did your exhaust come close to bolting back up? 

mikecio1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 01:23:03 AM »
On the sb mounts the previous owner had dented the headers to make then fit with the power steering unit.
Once I put the BB mounts in there was all kinds of room.

matt540

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 01:48:34 AM »
I meant where the header bolts to tailpipe.  The BB mounts move the motor over AND forward, what happens to the rest of the exhaust system?  Mine seems to be in quite a bind when bolting everything back up.  I know the motor didn't move much but a little bit makes a real difference.

mikecio1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
My exhaust is on rubber hanger mounts. It is dual of course with a crossover (H) pipe.
I did not have any issues, I just pulled it up and bolted it together. I installed new header gaskets and used sealer.
No problems no leaks.
Good luck