Author Topic: Upgrading alternator suggestions  (Read 4033 times)

adjudimo

• View Profile
Upgrading alternator suggestions
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:40:03 AM »
I am currently re-wiring a 1967 Camaro RS/SS big block with American Autowire Classic Update kit. I need to upgrade my charging system and was wanting to know which alternator's you suggest. I plan to keep my warning lights in dash working and also add temp., oil pressure, and volt gauges below dash. My understanding is that I have to stay away from a one wire alternator, so I can run both warning lights and the other gauges. The Camaro has a TH400 trans and I will eventually add aftermarket AC and a higher end stereo. I know there are 10SI and 12SI Delco's out there, but what models do you suggest I should consider for purchase? As always, Thanks, JR

joesauer

• View Profile
Re: Upgrading alternator suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:46:13 PM »
If you don't plan to keep the engine bay stock, then I suggest a 100 AMP Powermaster unit.  Mine puts out 60 amps at idle, and 100 amps at 1500 engine rpm.  You can buy a single wire or multi wire unit.  The extra amps come in handy if you have aftermarket stuff (electric fans, more powerful sound system, electric fuel pump, etc).  My unit looks like an original GM 10 type case.  Check their web site.

adjudimo

• View Profile
Re: Upgrading alternator suggestions
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:15:29 AM »
Thanks, I will check their website out. I will be doing other upgrades later on. Just replaced all the brake components and did a total sound deadening from firewall to trunk. Just started the re-wire. After I get the wiring finished and the stereo installed; i will stop and let the wallet recover!  Thanks, JR