Author Topic: Muffler Removal  (Read 4808 times)

TooManyReels

• View Profile
Muffler Removal
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:42:15 AM »
Any advise for removing a stock muffler. The muffler seems to be very tight (I'm sure a little rust is in the mix) and does not want come off, even with a little heat applied...I have sprayed some PB blaster on it to sit over night. I hope this helps...If this does not work, I might be going to the big set of channel-loc pliers.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

I'm having to replace the muffler due to one of the joint seals now leaking.  I removed the tail pipes to replace with some chrome tip pipes that did not fit correctly. I want mention the vendor, but they were so bad I had to send them back..

I found and bought a set of factory replacement Merit chrome pipes but the ends are for 2.250"outlets ..I have 2.000" tail pipes...Since my were like new I decided to send them off to be chromed....

Anyone looking for a set of factory replacement 2.25" outlet chrome tail pipes PM me...The part numbers are Merit 4235 and 4236...

Eddie

Eddie
63 Chevy II SS 570hp 560tq.
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Muffler Removal
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
Heat. You'll have to get it hot via an oxy-acetylene torch. Not always a fun project.
Kurt S
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
We used to chisel off the outer pipe where they overlap. Sometimes the inner pipe was reusable, sometimes it wasn't. Air chisel in the shop, but handheld should also work if you don't have the air chisel.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:46:56 AM »
Even though the mufflers has only been installed on the car a little over a year, and the fact that the car has not seen any road miles since it was restored.  It was a royal pain in the butt to remove...

I finally ended up cutting it off...I will tell you that I had a pantic attack and about wizzzed my pants when I tried some heat on the tail pipes and the penetrating fluids caught fire...I felt like the big bad Wolf huffing and a blowing, to finally blow the fire out while under the car. All I could see is how this was going to look or explain this one to the insurance adjuster...

Thanks for the information though...

Eddie
Eddie
63 Chevy II SS 570hp 560tq.
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:55:59 PM »
Any time I had a torch under a car, there was always an extinguisher close by. I picked one of hos old chrome jobs cheap. holds 2+ gallons of water and compressed air. Also makes a hell of a water pistol.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:18:56 AM »
Sawzall.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.