Author Topic: '68 Z28 - Need help...Factory gauges do vex me...tach, fuel, temp.  (Read 5912 times)

barsteel

• View Profile
Hello!

After long last, I got my '68 Z28 on the hoist and checked everything out before the first maiden (more than 10 minutes) voyage.  Topped off the fluids, new rear brakes, lubed everything, oil chg w/ZDDP, new plugs (old ones were fouled).  Started up and ran great, but I still have some issues with the gauges.

Ammeter and fuel gauge didn't work, temp gauge only went to a quarter hot, so I had no idea if it was accurate or not.

I did some reading on the wiring, pulled the gauge package from the console and found that the internal (from outside the gauge pod to the fuel gauge) ground wire had been melted, and that the contacts for the ammeter and the temp gauge were badly corroded.  I pulled the gauges, replaced the ground wire, and cleaned all the contacts.  When I put everything back together and started the car up, here's what happened:

The ammeter now works (it shows a slight charge after starting the car, then goes to center, and will flicker slightly if I turn on any accessory) - victory.

The temp gauge now pegs to full hot.

The fuel gauge still does not work, although it appeared to move slightly (1/16") when I started the car, but it still basically shows empty with a full tank.  It now has a good ground (tested), and current flowing into the gauge through the pink wire that feeds into the gauge plug.

1) Temp gauge - how can I test if the gauge itself works?
2) If the gauge works, is the sending unit (driver's side of the head) probably bad?
3) Is there a way I can test the sending unit?
3) Could the shunt be bad?  If so, how do I check it?

I'm not a big fan of randomly replacing parts, so I want to isolate exactly what's bad before I start spending $$.

As far as the fuel gauge goes, the previous owner said that he replaced the sending unit, but I haven't dropped the tank to check it out.

1) Can I check if the sending unit is bad without dropping the tank, i.e. check the ohms resistance between the hot wire and the wire to the sender?
2) Any way I can check if the gauge itself is bad?

Last issue -

The tach is WILDLY inaccurate.  With 3.73 gears in 4th, it shows that the engine is turning 5800rpms at 70mph.  It's not.  I don't have another tach on it, but I'd guess that the motor is turning around 3200rpms.

One note - the car originally has 4.56 gears, and the previous owner swapped it to 3.73 gears.  My understanding is that the tach is driven by an electrical impulse from the distributor, correct me if I'm wrong.

Any idea why the tach would be so far off?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

BSMIT59

• View Profile
Re: '68 Z28 - Need help...Factory gauges do vex me...tach, fuel, temp.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
Gosh. I hate to admit it but I dont even own a tach now but didn't they have a switch for 6 and 8 cylinders? Maybe that is your issue.
Barry     Old guy but still learning.....
Unrestored 67 barn find
67 SS 350 in process  ( in paint booth now)
Looking for 7N243673 to reunite V0320MO block and crank

barsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 01:35:31 AM »
Barry - No clue, still learning myself.  This car is an unrestored numbers matching '68 Z28, so I see no reason why anything would be set up for a 6 cyl.

Chris

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 03:02:58 AM »
That's only on aftermarket tachs. Factory tachs were V8 only.
Kurt S
CRG

Hideawaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 04:41:40 AM »
If you can get hold of another complete fuel tank unit and attach it to the wire outside of the tank, you should be able to move the needle in the gauge, float up- full - float down- empty .  should rule out wire all the way to gauge. Replaced the strainer filter on one in the tank and threw my readings off. Had to let the tank down a few times to get that unit set in the tank correctly   good luck

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 02:19:25 PM »
Using a VOM, put one probe on the center terminal of the factory temp sending unit (with the wire disconnected) and the other probe on the hex portion or on the intake manifold, and at room temperature you should see 600-700 ohms resistance; that will tell you if the sending unit is functioning anywhere near normally.

With the key "on" and the wire disconnected from the sending unit, the gauge should show full COLD; then ground the wire connector to the engine, and the gauge should show full HOT.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

barsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
John -

Thanks for the tips.  Will test everything tomorrow.

Does anyone know what the gauge would read if the shunt was bad, or how to test a shunt?

Thanks...

Chris

barsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 05:53:49 PM »
Hide/John -

Does that also mean that I can test the fuel gauge's operation in the same way as the temp gauge, i.e. ground the connection to the sending unit and the fuel gauge should peg full if it's working(?).

Thanks...

Chris

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 09:13:01 AM »
Chris wander on over to Team Camaro and run the troubleshooter sticky post in the electrical forum to debug the fuel gauge as it will isolate the wiring, sender and gauge and help you find which of the three parts are failing.  http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195833

Temp gauge is also a question of grounding. We have a few good threads on testing and bench testing temp senders. Here's one: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263306
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »
Thank you. I knew that info was out there. :)
Kurt S
CRG

anything