Author Topic: Correct Finish on Clutch Shaft Bracket & Clutch Shaft  (Read 3768 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Correct Finish on Clutch Shaft Bracket & Clutch Shaft
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:26:56 AM »
What is the correct finish on the clutch shaft bracket #3932760, Detail #9 shown in the AIM Page 112, Section 7 covering the clutch shaft and push rod?  This is the bracket that attaches to the outside of the frame. 

I stripped the paint from my original bracket (shown in the picture) and it is very pitted from rust indicating that it was originally plain steel, plated or poorly painted.  I show the bracket side-by-side with a reproduction bracket and there are differences. The original bracket is stamped from slightly thicker material, about .216" vs. .195", and the second picture shows that the original bracket is formed with a slight bend down the approximate center of the bracket to lie against the slight curve in the frame.  The repro bracket is flat.

Has anyone purchased a high quality reproduction bracket that matches the original?

Also, if I recall, the finish on the Clutch Shaft, Detail #1 was dark gray phosphate plated, correct?

Thanks. 

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Correct Finish on Clutch Shaft Bracket & Clutch Shaft
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:15:43 PM »
Sub frame bracket is semi gloss black and the bell crank is dark gray phosphate in color.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:57:31 AM »
I agree with Jerry on the color/plating. Also, I have not seen a more accurate reproduction. I always try and acquire originals.
Jon Mello
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:36:37 PM »
Thanks Jerry & Jon.

I know what I'll be doing this weekend!  :)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »
I was able to complete restoring the bracket and Z-Bar as recommended using Eastwood's metal blacking kit to give the part a gray phostpate color.

I pulled my original clutch Z-Bar to compare with the repro and I found the following slight differences.  My original bar was very pitted from rust and not worth restoring.  The repro bar OD measures 1.175" with a wall thickness of .150"; the original Z-Bar OD measures 1.103" with a wall thickness of .122".  These differences become apparent when the bars are set side-by-side, otherwise, the repro Z-Bar is a nice, near exact reproduction.

Question: Did the original clutch Z-Bars use a grease zerk fitting or a cap as I have shown.  I don't recall where I read that a cap was used, and know that Paragon Corvette Reproductions sells the cap which is where I purchased my cap.

Thanks

anything