CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 07:31:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
102436 Posts in 12088 Topics by 4667 Members
Latest Member: hrascoll
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Model Specific Discussions
| |-+  Trans-Am Camaros
| | |-+  Spark Plug Wires
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spark Plug Wires  (Read 1649 times)
JoeC

View Profile Email
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »

I like  the orange spark plug wire. Anyone know what brand they used?

I been doing some research on it and see that AC Delco sold some Packard SS550 Silicone Stainless steel core 7mm orange wire with gray boots some call "L88" wire.
Another wire I see in 1967 articles thay call  "Ramcharger wire" which I think refers to the Ramcharger speed shop wire also 7mm orange steel core but has orange spark plug boots.

My original 1967 Yenko parts list shows a hi temp header wire they list as "AutoLite wire"

I found a roll of Motorcraft wire 7mm orange steel core wire which I think is the "AutoLite wire" that Yenko listed.
I also  found a box of a few sets of 7mm orange steel core wire that has orange spark plug boots.

Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:11:33 AM »

Good stuff, Joe. I don't currently have knowledge of what spark plug wires people like Penske were using but maybe with some digging it can be found out. Is that wire in your photo dated? As shown, I can't pick out any dates.

Jon Mello
CRG
JoeC

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »

The wires don't have a date code but the Motorcraft wire spool is dated 1966. The spool is metal and I have the original box it came in which looks old
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »

Here is an unused set of Delco SS550 steel core performance wire in kit form. Cut the wire to
the desired length, crimp on the ends and you've got a nice custom-tailored installation. This
set is from the mid-80s and I think it was made at least until the late '90s. These "solid-core"
wires are not compatible with MSD and other electronic ignitions due to interference issues.
(Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »

The small block wires have 90 degree bends at the spark plug end and the big block ends are straight.
I believe the Chevy part number for that BBC kit ends in 88 rather than 89. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG
JoeC

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »

also have seen some of the 7mm Delco hi temp orange wire with gray color ends (plug side)

I don't know if this wire was all made by one wire company or one company that would supply the wire co with materials but the 7mm hi temp wire
of the late 60s early 70s I see a lot is the burnt orange color, steel core wire.

It was used by Delco, Motorcraft, AutoLite, Ramcharger, Mallory, and others.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: