Author Topic: Steering Wheel Shroud  (Read 20677 times)

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Steering Wheel Shroud
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 11:25:28 PM »
Dang Marty I am so sorry I caused you to mess up your cluster. I should have known this old redneck hick didn't know what he was talking about. I feel so bad. Do you think it can be removed without more damage? Then maybe you can put some tape on it. You might check with Hobby Lobby for a solvent to get this junk off without screwing things up any worse. Let me know how it turns out.  If it ruined it I might be able to chip in a little for a replacement cause I know how much you love your car.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 11:35:47 PM »
WHAT??? Dan...I wouldn't have said I liked it unless I meant it. Infact, evidently the last guy that restored the car used something similar or 40+ years of rubbing has dulled the surface. No one in my neck of the woods will ever know the difference, and there isn't anything close to the Legends in my corner of the world. This is not to say I won't someday head out to the Eastern US to attend a real show. God willing by then I'll hit the lottery and get the car done up right. At any rate there is no reason why the tape can't be placed right over the top of it. :)

Sincerely....thanks for the tip. I am very happy with it.

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 04:55:04 AM »
I used the same stuff as you Marty,seemed to work pretty well.Im not sure but was the trim around the instruments chrome or just silver?? Looked silver to me except the AC vents. I had thought about using the chrome tape but are there rolls wide enough to cover say,the speedo guage,? What I mean by that if the rolls are not wide enough to cover the gauge then if you just cut some strips & then take the excess off with a razor wont you have to overlap the foil & would that be noticable ???
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

IZRSSS

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 05:02:36 AM »
Took the words right out of my mouth! I don't think my instrument cluster has ever been touched. I am no expert but I would like some kind of verification that all instrument cluster accents were chromed. In addition, the first thing that came to mind with the tape are the unavoidable seams  ???
Thanks for pointing this out.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »
The silver/chrome is performed using a vacuum metalizing process. Many refer to it as plastic chroming. I've had this done and then simply masked the chrome and painted the black myself. Companies will completely refurbish the parts as well. I've also used real silver leaf which first requires the application of size. Silver leaf is now available with an adhesive backing. Leaf's brilliance is unmatched by any silver hobby pen. An alternative to the chrome tape's width limitations is chrome vinyl used in the sign and graphics business. It comes in wide rolls to be fed into a plotter cutter. It can be cut to any width and shape and is a superior product. There are grades of vinyl in the business. If you want to manipulate the dimensions and radii, the system can produce them exactly, just like any graphics. The original silver loses it's brilliance over time, so the hobby pens are adequate for touch ups. But silver leaf produces a better result, especially if the bezel's silver is not badly worn and faded.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:48:32 AM by Sauron327 »

IZRSSS

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
Silver leaf and chrome vinyl sound like excellent choices for do-it-yourself applications. Your explanation is excellent and much appreciated!

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 01:08:07 AM »
Did you pick this up at a hobby shop?

Eddie
Eddie
63 Chevy II SS 570hp 560tq.
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

IZRSSS

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 03:35:36 AM »
I found a thread on this topic (silver leaf) and for the life of me...I can't find it now. I am almost positive the post indicated it can be found at Michael's. I'm guessing it can be found at just about any reputable arts & crafts store.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
You can get leaf from any number of places. Michael's and Amazon (Mona Lisa brand) has it, Jerry's Artorama, Dick Blick. Coast Airbrush, The Gold Leaf Company, or any sign supplier. There are plenty more sources. The Mona Lisa sizing pen is not that great. Quality sizing, whether fast or slow, produces the best results and makes application easier. I've done quite a bit of leafing on carved signs, firetrucks and other vehicles. You'll most likely never use a whole book of leaf and can of size in your lifetime if just doing touchups.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
Here's the other self adhesive product of which I was speaking. I have never used it. http://www.houseofhobbies.com/baremetalfoil.html

And Sally Hansen's Pure Chrome #01 was recommended but again, I have never been inclined to try it. It's discontinued and you have to hunt but it's out there. Might not be any different that a silver pen many use. Products for everything are available, you just have to investigate.

IZRSSS

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »
Scott,

Somehow the A/C vents in my car have retained their chrome appearance and the rest of the instrument clusters highlights have not. I am sure there are countless reasons for one area to fade out quicker than others, but is there a possibility that these areas, now silver were never highlighted in chrome? This is something that Jack questioned earlier and now I have concerns here as well. Please shed some light on the topic.

Thanks

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 10:58:09 PM »
Marty I have saw different kinds of interior parts where the "chrome" peels off. After it starts turning loose you can get it with your fingers and pull all of it off in strips, bits, and pieces. The cluster edges like you did with that junk does not have an application like that. I think it just fades away with years of cleaning and "Arm All" or similar interior dressing.  I might be wrong again but it looks like if it were tape or something like that it would peel if it started wearing thin in heavy use places.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
Well...I am going to have to go with my instincts and say that all of the interior instrument cluster highlights were done in chrome. Here's why; I took a closer look and the A/C Vents, Light/Wiper, Vents, Radio and...if you take a look at the before and after of the control bezel you can see that it was flaking off in sections (just like you mentioned) and they all seem to be chrome. Someone must have touched up the speedo & fuel with the same stuff I used. This is what threw me...

I am not sure how this was applied at the factory, but I would assume the entire cluster was bathed in this chrome solution and painted black after the fact. This is basically the same process Scott mentioned (vacuum me-talizing process). I am sure this would give the best results but at this stage of the game I am looking for something that will work w/o having to pull the entire cluster. I am not ready to have a "take-down" restoration.

Scott also gave some great information on product types. I am leaning towards the silver leaf...problem is, the other link from the House of Hobbies looks very interesting as well.

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 01:53:56 AM »
Today, I stopped by a national store chain called Michael's.  They had a product called Metallic Artist Tape and it come in a three color packet, (2) ea. Gold, Argent, and Black 1/8" wide 324" long...The company name is called the C-thru Ruler Company..www.cthruruler.com...This one was about $18.00...I'm thinking this one is not going to work all that well...It will have to be trimmed and that does not look to be too easy, even with a very sharp ex-zacto nife..

I also picked up an Testors Enamel pin marker, Argent in Color from my local hobby shop. This pin sold for about $5.00...

Here are three photos. The first photo showing the left side of the shroud is what it looked like before. The second one is with the outer right horn button done, and the last one is with half of it painted with the Argent color pin...I think I'm going with the pin and forget tryng to trim the chrome tape...A very nice touch-up...Thanks for the recommendations for these products...

Eddie
Eddie
63 Chevy II SS 570hp 560tq.
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

IZRSSS

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 11:49:36 PM »
It looks nice Eddie.

I am going to try the silver leaf. It seems to be a good alternative to chrome (same mirror like shine). I also took a closer look at the House of Hobbies. I was pretty impressed until I blew up the image. Either those guys don't know how to apply the stuff or it just wrinkles up everwhere.

anything