Author Topic: Steering Wheel Shroud  (Read 20862 times)

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Steering Wheel Shroud
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 12:38:34 AM »
The size has to dry for the correct time prior to leaf application. It can't be tacky at all, it must be almost dry. If you lay leaf on wet size the finish is substandard. The appearance is also defined by how the size is applied, so precise control is required. Do not get size anywhere you don't want leaf and don't pour it on. I have enough fast size to last my lifetime. I'll give you some to try. Mix it with a little silver or gray paint to provide better coverage if a spot is missed or wears off. Adding too much pigment affects size performance. It's not difficult. I'm sure there are many sites to show correct leafing procedures. If you can find someone in your area who actually knows how to do it, they will most likely give you some size and a crash course too.

IZRSSS

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 01:39:23 AM »
You are correct, there are a lot of sites on the topic. However, no one mentioned how tricky the size is to apply. Appreciate the advise. Also, is it correct to assume that multiple layers is a no no?

Since there is so much of the leaf & size I will test it out on something else until until I get the hang of it. And...I think I will pull the shroud and cluster. I can't see good results with this any other way.

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 11:38:01 AM »
Marty, if you do use the lief product please post your results and challenges if any in applying it....I would like to see how it turns out...I looked and the rest of my trim and it all looks pretty good for now.  I'm going to use the silver paint stick on the shroud for now..I put one coat on the other night and I will apply another this w/e..

Eddie
TMR
Eddie
63 Chevy II SS 570hp 560tq.
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 12:30:51 AM »
I hate to keep beating a dead horse on this topic, but the steering shroud bright trim should be silver paint, and not chrome like the repros that are out there now.

I have an nos shroud from a box dated 1971, and the trim is silver paint.......

I'm pretty sure this topic has been talked about at length on this site....

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 01:09:10 AM »
OK, so its been discussed. The last time I checked this was a forum for discussing various camaro topics and to learn from others. I started this post when I asked a question if it was chrome or painted from the factory, something I did not know....As stated earlier, I ordered a replacement OER shroud and when I installed it and wiped it off  the Silver paint came off right away...

I was quite surprised and ticked off that this happened.  I know back in the day we did not have the cleaning products that we have today to clean our cars with..I'm quite sure the shroud on my camaro is the original one based on my knowledge of the cars history.  I've cleaned several times and the paint has not come off like the replacement OER shroud...When I called the shop that I got this from,  I got the answer only I must always get "Oh !!! this has never happened before" bull C$%^. I should have done what Marty recommended to begin with and shipped it right back to the dealer and bought from someone else...By posting this here and  getting the answers that I got from this site, it saved me from sending it back to only get the same problem from another vendor...

Eddie
Eddie
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

IZRSSS

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 01:49:24 AM »
Eddie,

You can blame this one on me. I should have started another thread. Your concern was specific to the shroud. I had assumed all the highlights would be consistant through out. I clouded the issue by switching the conversation to include the cluster.

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
Marty,

No need to apologize for providing valued in-site in helping others with similar problems. I thank you for assisting myself and other members with their questions or problems..

Eddie
Eddie
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

IZRSSS

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 03:28:31 PM »
Marty, if you do use the lief product please post your results and challenges if any in applying it.

Eddie
TMR
This was exactly what I intended to do. I think I'll give this topic a rest because to be quite honest with you...I'm more confused than ever... :-\

IZRSSS

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »
Give it a rest...ya right. You know me better than that by now. Call me a dead horse or whatever. I can rest until I'm comfortable with what's correct or what isn't.

In this CRG Report; http://www.camaros.org/swheel.shtml#69, the "1969 Standard Wheel W/RS Emblem" (Blown up) clearly shows the instrument shroud highlighted in chrome. Its difficult for me to tell what finish the steering wheel shroud highlights are. The green SW pic next to it seems to show indications of chrome?

If camaronut is correct is the pic below the silver he is alluding to which looks very simular to Eddie's? Although you cannot tell from the pic, there is a distinct difference between the chrome "SS" emblem and the highlights .

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 12:03:40 AM »
Marty, after reviewing the attached link, http://www.camaros.org/swheel.shtml#69, I believe that the RS and SS steering wheels came with the painted trim as depicted..

The photo of the 69 RS steering wheel in the center of the first row, looks like an OER part since it has molded dimples to the  left and right sides of the horn buttons...Not positive about this, but my original shroud and many of the other ones on this page are smooth so this leads me to beleive them to be original and the OER to have the dimples.

Eddie
Eddie
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

IZRSSS

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 01:57:37 AM »
Interesting observation & nice spot...dimples (although I have never paid much attention...but I will now). You may be on to something with the RS & SS wheels being different than the standard bow-tie. Even more interesting because this is exactly what has me confused. There is a pic of a bow-tie steering wheel in the 69 Camaro brochure. Even though the pic is small, it still looks chromed. Also, if you look at the upper left pic in John's report it too looks chromed.

John's report also shows several variations of the 69 SW so I don't think the answer is as simple as everyone thinks? Some appear to be chromed, some painted silver, & some painted to match the interior. I sent someone an email. Hopefully he can shed some light on the topic. If anyone knows, it would be him...

TX-302

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
Here's a photo of NOS item that may be of help.

Steve
69 Z

IZRSSS

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
This "Dead Horse" can finally rest in peace. My apology's for ever doubting you camaronut.

It isn't very often that I will stick my neck out on anything First Gen, but I received the email I was hoping for last night. I can now say with 99.9% certainty that the standard SS steering wheel came silver highlighted from the factory. The color of choice from one of the most highly respected authorities in the country is Argent Silver.

Eddie, you were right from the get-go.

Thanx for everyones help.

BTW...great pic, thanx for sharing lugnut69  

TooManyReels

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 02:42:53 AM »
I do like the highly polish shine and red wood finish on lugnut69 shroud...Very Nice !!!...Marty, I feel we have done our home work here in getting to how the steering wheel shrouds came from the factory,,,I'm satisfied with how mine came out, so I'm going to put this to rest...Thank's for all the input and feed back.

Eddie
TMR
Eddie
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 01:40:01 AM »
Fisrt of all I wasn't trying to dis anyone on this thread......sorry if that's how it was taken.

Alot of us take what we buy from the repro parts companies are dead-nuts correct.  Unfortunately, that's not always the case.

The steering shroud from OER is one of those examples.  

Unfortunately, it's the only thing out there unless your fortunate enough to find an original / NOS GM shroud that doesn't cost an arm & leg.