Author Topic: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.  (Read 326129 times)

klvn8r

• View Profile
Re: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2012, 01:43:18 AM »
I think what you do might actually be more difficult than restoring a real car!!!

klvn8r

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2012, 02:31:53 AM »
No doubt that Mike's attention to detail is incredible. If he can work that magic with something so small, just think what he would do with a full scale model.

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2012, 02:44:28 PM »
Thanks again for the genuine and much appreciated feedback which I treasure,

Greetings,

A scale enthusiast present on another board has kindly provisioned me with scale Parnelli Jones Enterprises water slide decals, and hence a few can be seen on the model subject to change.  Notice the one image offset on the leading end of the hood, the example sited just before the Bud Moore Engineering logos on the door, and on the main headlamp plates besides.  Welly/GMP Trans Am BOSS 302 Mustangs are replete with quirks and inaccuracies, hence the inboard headlamps are tooled small of radius, effectively preventing the application of these otherwise correctly-sized decals.  Given they usually showed up only on the inboard lamp plates at most events from mid-season on, spreading out if you will to the outboard plates in late-season, the decals seen here on the outboard plates only would have to come off for the car was never seen in this specification.  

I really wished to eliminate the blue field 'Ford' quarter panel identification, desiring either blank or late-season white outline only logos.  It seems that at MIS the blue field markings were run, that at Mid-Ohio they may have been run again (although I suspect FoMoCo retouched select photos I've seen), whereas the quarters were largely blank until the last races of '69 whereupon the white outline 'Ford' identification appeared.  Anyhow, employing blank Fred Cady decal paper, I sprayed panels of the material with a coat of Tamiya Bright Red and then prepared still further panels with Tamiya Italian Red.  Testor's Decal Bonder was sprayed over the same as a fixative, whereas so translucent the results were that I opted to combine successive layers (the Bright Red shade being too light, the Italian Red hue being too dark) of each to better match the existing tone on the shell itself.  In short, fine tuning of the tone was achieved for blending what otherwise seemed a lame effort to create nontranslucent decals in two different tones.  I'm very surprised to note that the approach worked, and hence even the photo image (though of middling quality surely) doesn't strictly betray the presence of the overlay on the quarter panel just atop the white stripe.  

Other work mixed in includes the addition of hood pin scuff plates, the inclusion of a solitary wiper arm/blade assembly, the refinish of the front spoiler with it being painted Testor's Fabric Black for texture, plus the addition of later Welly interior door panels with window winders poised not to foul the driver if it could be helped.  Thanks and kind regards to the board...

Mike K.

...note 'PJ' markings forward of the BME identification on the top of the door.  And happily, the quarter panel Ford blue oval has simply vanished.  I do have white outline-only Ford ovals, hence pondering possibilities to model a late-season car.

...a flood of the aforementioned Parnelli Jone's Enterprises decals are seen here, as well as the aforementioned hood pin scuff plates and the solitary wiper arm/blade assembly discreetly added.  The Testor's Fabric Black paint application to the front spoiler affords the same a bit greater definition, and is appreciated too.  I think I'll cover the late-season Union 76 globe and add the spelled-out UNION accessory decal just back and to the top of the Castrol shield, effectively committing to doing a fairly early season car for so doing.  

...in sum and at present.

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:44:19 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2012, 06:47:38 AM »
Mike, sounds like your next action item is to fabricate a new grille with the headlights in the proper scale!   ;D
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
Thanks for the kind input, the continuing attention paid...

Regret that I didn't identify or establish a race to replicate early on at this point, although I didn't realize that I could so effectively cover the clear-coated tampo accessory decals/markings seen on the shell to afford me such flexibility.  The decision then to do what would be a rough Bryar Park to St. Jovite spec. has been made, with the headlamp cover Parnelli Jones Enterprises decals being pulled clear.  A late-season spec. would have required chrome headlamp rings I do not have, still further livery changes, whereas other races demand ARE magnesium Trans Am/CP-200's, or at the very least a set for the rear.  A bit fatigued then, although with a spare '70 grille the undersized inner headlamp mounts present on the '69 could very likely be substituted for the properly-scaled '70 mounts.  A round file and careful work could have afforded a convincing assembly, although having exhausted the small supply of homespun PJ markings I had in my possession, I think I'll aim now simply to wrap this one up.  

Minor, near-invisible stuff done here.  Aforementioned PJ decals come off the front, Welly/GMP quadruple exhaust dumps removed to be cut and filed to leave only a single dump per bank.  Recovering and reusing the exhaust clamp detail for the sides that were cut and reshaped was no fun, nor was removing the entirety of the clamps though present, were not strictly needed.  The forward roll hoop structure has been added, the rear view mirror has been restored to its former place for discreet reemployment of the mount coming off of a much-trimmed headliner, whereas the electrical switchbox has been trimmed, painted, and set in place.  The pedals have been trimmed, a scratchbuilt accelerator pedal has been added, and the padding along the driver's side nearest the door has been installed employing electrical heat shrink tube secured with R/C aircraft vinyl tape.  Both Ford ovals on the quarter panel bottoms have been refinished and disguised with greater care again versus my earlier effort to make them vanish, whereas the 76 Union globes seen late season are gone, to be replaced with the UNION 76 markings seen well forward on each fender.  All this, and I can't imagine it looking so very different in photos.  Thanks and kind regards...

Mike K.

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:44:59 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
Mike, I can understand a bit of frustration about maybe not having an exact copy of the car for a specific race, particularly since by nature of what you do with these cars you are a "detail freak". However, the car really looks great and more than adequately captures the essence of Parnelli's car from that 1969 era. Job well done!
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
Greetings and thanks for the past and much appreciated feedback,

Only modest work to relate.  The 1:18th Sun Star-based Gray Ghost has been taken up again, with driver's side outboard rear view mirror removed and reset further forward. Drilling through the door casting was necessitated - this a laborious effort.  Pleased to note that drilling through the thick white metal/Zamac zinc-alloy shellmetal was possible, for both refueling ports will require a like effort.  A small cap is seen atop where the quarter panel will soon be drilled, although this will soon be removed to facilitate more thoroughgoing fabrication work in this regard.  A white swath of putty disguises the hole that remains from the original placement of the mirror.  Continuing, an interior rear view mirror has been added, this an 1:18th ERTL Authentics '67 Chevrolet Impala SS427 item.  The Wink multi-element interior rear view mirror currently fitted to the vehicle seems to have been added post-1971, so out it must go.  Unless it arrived in time for the '71 MIS race, I've not found proof it was ever in place in-period.  

A preliminary driveshaft tunnel 'bump' is seen with built up shift surround plus a 1:18th Lane Firebird shift lever - not perfect, but what I have to work with.  A new interior floor must be scratchbuilt, for the textured surface, seat installation holes and general poor presentation precludes rehabilitation and reuse of the same.  The aluminum rear bulkhead is taking shape, although on the search I am for a very small and precise sheet metal brake to allow the most careful shaping of such.  

Further items added include fitting a dashboard, plus the shaving off of the GTO crest seen atop the glovebox now without a glovebox door.  Some inner panel work needs to be added to the glovebox compartment complete with a CDI unit cast in resin and waiting for finish and fitting.  A second-generation Trans Am Firebird steering wheel has been added, although the honeycomb decorative center cap has been ground away, the center opened and retention bolt holes drilled around the periphery of the same - the wheel generally looks right.  A 1:18th Lane '68 Firebird steering console has been fitted, although the tilt column detail must still be factored in.  The dash pad (abbreviated and such as it was in '64) has been ground down and hence removed, whereas the instrument cluster 'sheet' as well as minor control switch panel to the right and bottom of it has further been added.  All of this is largely invisible, although affording updates helps me on some level do understand.  Kind regards to the community...

Mike K.

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:47:51 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
Coming along nicely, Mike. An impressive amount of work done and details tended to. Thanks a lot for the update.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
Greetings,

Short update - seat fabrication then.  Only one period image exists (to my knowledge) of the fabricated seat fitted to the Gray Ghost, whereas what is seen is an extrapolation of what rude outlines can be discerned from that image.  Some other images might better communicate the shape and dimensions of the headrest, whereas some structure needs to be added both along the back as well as on the bottom in terms of fabbing proper seat mounts.  I assume here a collection of aluminum panels with some reinforcement, complete with inlaid cushions/padding.  The thickness (front to back then) of the side bolster additions alters in appearance depending upon the perspective of the viewer, whereas appreciate that the layered in 'padding' is here done in sheet plastic that suggests the seat shell is shallower than it is in fact.  Not terrible, wherea the new floor is a crude cutout at this point in time.  Given the dreary non-detail of the stock floor, any way forward is 'up'.  Thanks...

Mike K.

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:48:32 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »
Nice build from scratch on the seat. It seems to my eye that the front/top edge of the side bolsters is more gently rounded on your version versus what in the photo seen in the magazine article but sometimes pictures and angles can be deceiving. I look forward to seeing how the floor turns out. That will be a challenge, to say the least. Thanks again for sharing the picture.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2013, 07:31:59 PM »
Nice build from scratch on the seat. It seems to my eye that the front/top edge of the side bolsters is more gently rounded on your version versus what in the photo seen in the magazine article but sometimes pictures and angles can be deceiving. I look forward to seeing how the floor turns out. That will be a challenge, to say the least. Thanks again for sharing the picture.

The side bolster profiles indeed are not first in class; i.e. too shallow, wrong contour across the tops, etc.  The best thing about scratchbuilding is that nothing is fundamentally risked if matters fail to work out across the first (or several) attempt or attempts.  The floor cutouts will be traced with the tracing employed to create first file card and then thin plastic templates to ensure tight fit, then mastered on a slightly thicker material.  I doubt the interior can look as nice as the 1:25th effort, although I'll try.  Thanks for the engaged feedback...

Mike K.

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
Greetings,

A seen from space view to allow a primitive 'point and shoot' digital camera to focus upon such, but a seat with revised (thicker dimensionally front-to-back w/revised top contour/profile) bolster detail for your delectation.  Note how a funky midcentury modern lamp affords a surface of the moon backdrop.  Painted wheels, but now pondering the refinish of the same for indeed - likely a DOW 7 finish and not nearly so dark - thanks C.R.!  

...better, although pad still a bit long front-to-back on base, whereas sides not quite as well matched as they ought to be.  

...front grease caps seen (mastered one, now duplicates in resin), axle shaft ends seen as well.  Wheel finish reference above - another goof.

...seat temporarily in place.

Thanks for the kind continuing interest displayed...

Mike K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:52:59 PM by Jon Mello »

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2013, 05:59:19 AM »
Fantastic work Mike. I love watching your models progress. Thanks.
Bruce.

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
Thanks again for the kind words and interest,

Experimenting with wheel finishes - slightly off again, albeit better.  Both front and rear Pontiac arrowhead emblems were ground down and off as witnessed on both the hood and deck lid, with respect paid to maintain the panel contour and/or character line beneath.  The trace outlines of each respective hood scoop have been further filed down, whereas a guide coat of primer has been applied.  Some work to do here still, working deliberately lest damaged be incurred for being too aggressive.  The flares were painted quickly just to see how they might integrate with the surrounding panelwork, whereas when the body is stripped, each will be glued fast and puttied in to afford a clean transition.  And lastly, the refueling ports have been drilled into the quarter panels - these perhaps a bit small.  Not the best scale photography by any measure - my apologies that the contrast is so poor in particular. Thanks...

Mike K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:54:18 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2013, 05:33:49 AM »
Mike, to me it seems like the wheels essentially had black spokes, if you reference the pictures below.
The repaint makes them look blue/gray now although the flash from your camera may be altering the true color.

Jon Mello
CRG