Author Topic: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.  (Read 326586 times)

Oldtimer

• View Profile
Re: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« Reply #360 on: September 01, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
Mike - the Solido Meyers Manx seat may be trying to replicate a Steve McQueen “Solar” seat.

There was one in the ‘69 former Bolus and Snopes racing Camaro I bought back in 1975.

I’ll see if I can find a picture.

May not be appropriate for your Penske build, but a reputable and comfortable racing seat nonetheless.

Now, as I begin my B&S custom, I’ll need to remove the GMP-provided seat in the Todco donor and add a Solar from the Manx.

Not real clear, but you can see the seat back in the second picture pretty well.

Seat-2 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Tank-2 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 21, 2020, 01:01:22 AM »
Neat insight, neat photos of 'Steve's Neat Seat' surely - thanks Oldtimer!

-

Greetings...

Seen below would be some scant photo research to support the fabrication of the enlarged filler neck fit in combination with the inlet flap for my particular '69 Penske Trans-Am Camaro.  The 1:18th scale GMP '69 release is accurate for an early-season entry (at M.I.S. most certainly), although the earlier system was soon replaced with an evolving iteration of the much more pronounced for volume filler neck said to possess two to three gallons capacity in it's own right. 

...image from the January '70 Car Life article 'Professionals at Work', photo credit presumably to David Bean.  It would seem to be a fairly early season image judging by the content of other photos accompanying the feature story. 

...a glance down into the trunk area of the restored topic.

...and this a late-season photo likely captured by Paul Van Valkenburgh for his '72 title Chevrolet = Racing?  Ten Years of Raucous Silence!  Notice how the design evolved consistent with affording still greater capacity...

...my effort thus far, with the top surface a compromise given the GMP trunk lid casting is rather thick for being a diecast metal part.  Further, necessity dictates that the inlet rests at a particular angle and height relative to the surrounding panel work.  In essence, this is an effort guided by the first Car Life photo...

...and just one last image.  The small pair of supports afforded by GMP that attach to the filler neck can be reused, while the vent system plus hoses still stands to be added.  The fuel pump setup has been cut off this spare assembly and is slated to return. 

If anyone might have better period images to flesh out what is needed here, I'd be most appreciative if such were shared.  Although not reproduced or attached here, I do have the Sears DieHard 'It all started with DieHard' print ad. revealing the battery installation in what would likely have been the '69 Riverside Mission Bell 250 entries with an oblique view of other items in the trunk area including the filler flap door and seal.  Kind thanks in advance.

Mike K./Swede70

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 21, 2020, 05:30:05 PM »
Another of the unfair advantage mods. Good work Mike!

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2021, 06:48:41 AM »
Greetings...

Another project hitherto out of sight, this would be a small sampling of images outlining what is intended to be a Ronnie Kaplan Engineering/Javelin Racing Team 1969 SCCA Trans-Am Javelin based largely upon 1:25th Jo-Han tooling.  The chassis is from a Jo-Han '70 Mark Donohue Trans-Am release, the body shell is a backdated '70 Jimmy Flintstone Penske Javelin item with select Jo-Han annual kit parts employed, while the rear flares and specific hood bubble are scratch built.  Earlier tonight I used a new urethane mold created to produce duplicates of the hood seen, hence a review of the total effort seemed appropriate.  Thanks...

...a Jim Brady image depicting Lothar Motschenbacher at St. Jovite '69.  Note the '69-specific offset target grille, the three cut outs seen where a front license plate might otherwise be fitted, the rather rough front spoiler/radiator + brake duct system, etc. 

...the resin shell was employed mostly to make use of the Jimmy Flintstone front flares.  The fender extensions/trim end caps, grille and front bumper are all annual kit items, the front spoiler is scratch built.  The special RKE hood is based on a twin coved '68 promotional model part cut from a shell with the integrated hood bubble structure created for blending five or six structural elements together that were subsequently blended onto the promo-sourced part.  As this post was written, I can produce clones of the hood - so if you should need an example, consider contacting me...

The roll cage was scratch built, while the rear flares too were scratch built for stacking plastic sheet, creating pucks that were hollowed out and integrated into the aforementioned J. Flintstone product.  Wheels are modified Jo-Han Minilites with MPC Chrysler Kit Car Clement five slot stamped steel wheels outer rims substituted onto the featureless Jo-Han renderings.  Aluminum rod as well as same-sized tube was employed for the hub/wheel centers. 

...even without paint it's an eyeful!  A Wink multiple element interior rear view mirror is coming, while here the hood bubble appears well integrated with the standard hood stamping sourced from a '68 release given the Jo-Han '69 Javelins all have the twin faux scoop hood.  Interior side trim is from the '69 annual kit, although it appears Jo-Han didn't update the '68 tool to reflect the '69 stylistic updates.  Note the roll cage gusset detail (minor this) as well as the tabs that tie the structure into the A-pillars.

...rocker panel inserts in the form of plastic 'L' shaped stock will help flesh out things further down.  Note the cutback front wheel arch openings in particular.  Front tires are Jo-Han kit items, the rears are thought to be Scale Model Speedway NASCAR fitment picked up at an area hobby show.

...the dashboard pads have here been ground down, while it seems RKE/JRT either employed a wrapped stock wheel or a Grant rubber rimmed steering wheel.  Here a stock steering wheel has been mated to a Jo-Han taped wheel rim.  The seat is standard Jo-Han stuff in this instance, while the trunk panel was cut out of the Jimmy Flintstone '70 Penske Javelin shell largely to rid it of the cast-in Donohue rear spoiler.  The fuel inlet is a 1:18th GMP Camaro Trans-Am piece that doesn't appear out of scale happily enough. 

...as seen under the hood with the abbreviated tunnel ram in view complete with 3D printed Holley 4500's, later formally christened Dominators.  An AMT Pro Stock Gremlin gave it's life to afford the rudiments of the tunnel ram that was cut down and combined with new mounting flanges to begin matters.  The tiny carburetor air horns are actually Jo-Han '69 S/C Rambler exhaust tips reproduced in resin, trimmed and fit with great care.  The expected and very large fresh air feed box hasn't been fabricated yet, while fear exists that clearance just won't be availed under the hood bubble. 

The cylinder heads are from the Jo-Han '69 SC/Rambler release, while the new Revell '70 Hemi 'Cuda afforded a wiper motor to the firewall that has also had the heater blower motor removed and plugged.  Hidden below is an Aviaid wet sump oil pan based on period photos.

Some brace work stands to be added, although here the promotional model rounded inner wheel housings have been cut out, with modified Jo-Han SC/Rambler structure added including parts that suggest a twin ball joint front suspension RKE successfully homologated and run a year before such mechanical revisions debuted on the '70 model Javelin.  SC/Rambler rear shocks here have been inverted and poke out the top of each suspension turret.  Headers are to come, as well as other smaller details.  Another exhaustive project then!  Thanks for your review of this longish post...

Mike K./Swede70

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 16, 2021, 06:44:21 PM »
I just continue to be amazed at what you do!

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 17, 2021, 06:11:52 AM »
Thanks for the kind words and notice...

A COVID-19 project pursued indoors in recent times was a better thought out effort to fabricate the enormous rear flares seen on the T/G Racing '70 Firebird Trans Am/Trans-Am Jerry Titus model I'd been working upon.  Building up sufficient mass that was close fitting and readily shaped wasn't a problem to be solved overnight, but for reasoned success doing the '70 Chaparral flares, I tried the technique employed on the former to secure results on the latter.

In essence and very much like my '70 Camaro, a spare shell was used to essentially copy the surface profile of the panel work onto the back of casting resin poured into carefully segmented and sealed pockets created for the purpose.  Mold release was applied in excess to the spare shell (this time a '70 Firebird modified to remove the rear wheel arch aerodynamic 'spats' forward of each opening), whereupon each ungainly chunk 'o resin was tediously popped off prior to shaping.  If this sounds like a gruesome amount of labor, it's only because it was...

...the subject seen at '70 Mid-Ohio, with the shape of the flares as they terminate forward of the rear wheel arch openings being a bit more pronounced for mass versus what may have been the other car or for reflecting later repairs to such.  Last year on eBay a seller listed a substantial collection of individual slides left behind by someone who hadn't paid on a storage unit.  All were in color and constitute some of the best images captured at that event, while the period enthusiast/photographer who captured them is fated never to be identified...

...while this D. Friedman image captures the T/G entry at '70 Laguna Seca season opener sans most of the as-yet unhomologated Trans Am model-specific aero aids.  The shape of the flares down low as they blend into the rocker panels is trim and clean by comparison, while appreciate that I like clean!

...and here one witnesses what I've worked up.  The slight dip in the surface contour of each flare isn't easily made out across other photos, although such can be discerned here.  Notice I've opted for the '70 Mid-Ohio wheel treatment (exposed machined lip with engine enamel painted wheel spider and spokes), although I really ought to have tried to master the same-event rear flare shape along the front bottom as suggested earlier.  Getty Images has many event images that can be consulted, while every time I review that which they have, the more I want to add material to what is seen here consistent with correcting things...

...rear three-quarter view.  Otherwise unremarked upon, notice no side pipes are fitted.  The exhaust will be atypically directed out the back and to one side.

...front three-quarter view evidencing carefully grafted in front wheel arch lip flares after first filing out the white metal fenders to permit such.

...and finally, the side profile again viewed for taking a step back.  Depending on the vantage point of the observer, the rear arch openings can appear matched to the standard opening profile, or strangely offset or oblong given the sheer size of the flares employed. 

This was one of the most daunting aspects of my 1:18th ERTL-based '70 T/G Firebird project, while happily it's most contained.  Thanks for your review of this scale project post.

Mike K./Swede70

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 06, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »
Greetings...

This was the roll cage fabricated for the 1:18th GMP Penske Donohue '67 model, although I did fail to splay out the side bars near the midpoint of the roll hoop as originally intended.  For referring to the Craig Fisher interior photos of the second car and extrapolating a bit from the few ill-lit and all-black interior period images of the first car, this is what I came up with.  The assembly lives happily with the new '67-'68 dashboard I've fit to my body shell.  Kind thanks...

Mike K./Swede70

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 13, 2021, 02:51:30 AM »
I love seeing the progress on this particular car, Mike.  Thanks for the update.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 15, 2021, 04:56:55 AM »
Thanks for the continuing interest...

Seen (or rather not seen at all) would be the painted cage installed in the model.  The IndyCals waterslide decals were ordered again consistent with double layering the roundels in particular.  The hope was to brighten them up a bit.

...inserts for the front wheel bearing dust caps as well as rear axle ends have here been pressed into place.  The valve stems for the wheels need paint.

,,,while here rear quarter windows plus the leading edge border for the same have been added.  Some 'L' shaped plastic stock was painted flat black (hoping to suggest weather stripping forward), while the chrome strip was done with cut up party favor/table centerpiece material given it was fairly resilient. 

...the roundel on the decklid in particular appeared gray and more than a bit translucent around the stripes previously, hence a second layer helps matters here.  It may all be redone given the cut out of the trunk lid isn't accurate for the Kent, WA race, nor are the fairly short exhaust dumps I've fitted for that matter - ugh!  Thanks for your review of this post.

Mike K./Swede70

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 15, 2021, 07:15:22 PM »
WOW, truly amazing!
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2021, 02:38:02 AM »
Beautiful car, Mike.  You should be proud of that one.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 17, 2021, 09:37:42 PM »
Well done Mike! You make it sound so easy!

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 22, 2021, 01:55:50 AM »
Thanks for the kind interest expressed; i.e. the notice of knowledgeable is always reassuring and most appreciated...

Seen below would be some light work, namely the removal of interior panels from my '68 Penske Camaro so that some trim might be painted, whereas the color was altered from the as-delivered black to red for use of some 1:1 vinyl interior restoration/refinish aerosol paint some time ago.  In a perfect world I'd have 3D-print '68-specific interior trim panels, although here I've just redone the slightly fudged GMP original issue stuff. 

...presumably leaving a pit area at speed, thankfully the interior trim color isn't that far off from what I sprayed even allowing for period color process reproduction funkiness.  Ron Lathrop photo.

...mostly '69 standard trim level panels here, although some things are now painted silver.  The arm rest fill panels are removable, with this feature helping to facilitate light work such as this...

-

While here a pair of small things have been performed on my '69 Penske Camaro.  What I presume to be an aluminum scuff plate situated along the top middle edge of the rear spoiler has been reproduced with silver decal stock softened in a pool of water with decal set solution lest it splinter, while an angled fuel cell housing formerly done with individual plastic panels was cast in resin given I wasn't satisfied with how the surfaces cleaned up previously - or rather failed to. 

...witnessed being worked during the '69 Riverside race weekend.  Note the tucked-in fuel cell housing, almost serving as a partial belly pan along the back.  Photo credit H.P. Thomas.

...perhaps a touch wide, here may be made out the small length of decal film suggesting the scuff guard along the top of the rear spoiler edge.  Sears/Die-Hard batteries came on as a sponsor at this race, while the C-pillar decal telegraphing this association was added given the GMP '69 release doesn't feature such.  Barely noticeable would be the painted out tab disguising what extends from the silver-painted insert around the fuel inlet on the trunk lid.  Usually seen along the edge facing the base of the rear glass, here it's less obvious than before.

...done slightly on the cheap, here I've just overlaid a chunk of resin atop the cast-in fuel tank/fuel cell structure coming off the GMP chassis base.   

Thanks for your review of this project post update.

Mike K./Swede70

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 23, 2021, 03:09:43 PM »
Great work, the attention to small details on the cars that I haven't noticed. one being that scuff panel on the '69 rear spoiler. I

went back and looked at my photos, looks like that detail didn't appear till mid season ?

Mike

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 23, 2021, 07:56:14 PM »
Jon, off topic, COVID fatigue ? am I missing something ? Once you post, can you not modify, or delete your post, I don't see that

option in my lost post above  ??? tried it with this one, and it worked ?

Mike