Author Topic: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.  (Read 326605 times)

Swede70

• View Profile
Re: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
...sorry for my extended absence,

Fatigued perhaps for ribbing to the extent that '...he never finishes anything!', some analysis of my habits suggests that I'm fearful of applying paint to my more labor-intensive projects for fear of ruining what has been worked up.  With this hazard in mind, I've picked up a 1:12th unassembled plastic kit of a 1969 Camaro Z/28 consistent with sorting out what paint finishes are reliable, what tones are produced for what techniques, etc.  For lessons so-learned, I hope to spread such knowledge back upon my 1:18th scale projects when I return to the 1:18th scale Gray Ghost as well as the Autodynamics Challenger late-season #76.  Perhaps I could come up with a Classic Wax-themed display in the manner of more typical Jagermeister or Martini Porsche-themed collections and such?

...and lest it be forgotten, here's a quick share of an Alpine White AAR 'Cuda with the replacement wheels fitted as per what was fabbed and added to the B5 Blue Fire Hemi 'Cuda seen above:

...although it isn't first discernible or strictly thought possible, one can raise the rear of Hwy. 61/Supercar Collectibles Trans-Am Mopars as seen here.  Look closely and further see the exhaust tubing situated within the decorative trim tip sited near the rocker panel.  This was done in aluminum tubing suitably painted, whereas the tips were stripped, the casting seams sanded out, the results cast in resin before being vacuum plated before being reset.  Sadly they scarcely look different!

News flash!  ACME is said to have a 1:18th '70 Posey Trans-Am Challenger and '70 Gurney AAR 'Cuda in the developmental pipeline, apparently scheduled to be released in Fall of 2015.  Time will tell how elaborate these will be, whereas some new tooling will be meshed to old Hwy. 61 E-body tooling to result in who knows what!  For myself, I'm dedicated to finishing a late season #76 Challenger as well as an early-season #48 'Swede Savage' paler blue/violet 'Cuda believing if you will that these won't overlap in relation to the specification of whatever is eventually released to us.  The #48 isn't a misprint, but rather reflects early season days when Swede took over driving duties for Dan Gurney with the numeral  identification remaining as was at Bryar, NH and maybe even at Bridgehampton.  Photos of my own efforts (speaking the full-on road racing '70 AAR 'Cuda) to come then...

-

Not having seen the August 1969 Car Life magazine cover car reproduced in scale anywhere, my hope is to do the eyeball-searing Daytona Yellow 1969 Z/28 with the JL8 4-wheel disc brakes, the fiberglass hood, the cross ram, and whatever else was crammed onto said test car.  Perhaps they checked off the liquid tire chain option too?  Anyhow, the yellow interior with black houndstooth inserts as well as the endura front bumper (with the bumper ends extended up and subtly reshaped) will surely equate to something memorable, whereas when this message was written the hope was to finish such in time for a local show scheduled for November of 2015. 

The Revellogram (code if you will for combined Monogram and Revell kit tool and marketing efforts) is much like a blown up 1:25th kit for not having a huge part count, although it is well engineered and may form the basis for the reader to reengage the kit hobby.  A flurry of posts will follow consistent with drawing attention to what might be done, fused as usual with what insights I can bring to bear upon what is attempted.  Feedback and efforts to bring my attention to what might be addressed or fixed is of course most welcome.  Kind thanks for the enthusiasm shared and the tolerance displayed for something clearly not 1:1! 

Mike K.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:07:27 PM by Swede70 »

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2015, 08:19:13 PM »
Greetings,

Something new tried here is Tamiya's aerosol Translucent Blue applied as a window tint.  Larger model cars in particular look a bit silly and toy-like without tint of any kind, whereas there was some question that the product might in fact burn clear styrene plastic windows for direct application to such.  The finish was applied from behind (or rather inside), whereas the face (or outer surfaces of the 'glass') was polished as well as I could manage to visibly offset the slight frosting seen up close.  Not a terrible way to go, hence an improvement I do believe.  Kind thanks for reading this post.

Mike K.

M.K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 09, 2015, 03:23:55 AM »
Mike, thanks for all the updates. Not sure what to think about the spray can window tinting. Might need to see that in person but I understand the desire to give something like that a try.

Sorry to hear all that work that went into the exhaust tips yielded only a slightly detectable improvement.

I was never a fan of that yellow houndstooth interior but the '69 test car is neatly optioned otherwise. Would be great to see you tackle that project.

I think you sell yourself a little short when it comes to being able to lay some paint on your models. You've been able to do everything else to a high level. I'm sure you could do the same with painting a body. You'll just have to practice on a couple of donor bodies first.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »
Greetings,

On news of ACME's efforts to release both 'Cuda and Challenger 1970 Trans Am racers, I hurried up to combine parts and at least place my Hwy. 61-based AAR 'Cuda racer on wheels.  Given the ACME product may well come through as a tribute cars (i.e. with livery, wheels and tires specific to the racer but little else new), I judged it important to find some means to mount my early hand cast tire efforts onto the old Hwy. 61 production 'Cuda.  Across the past weekend this was achieved, whereas what is seen below is described underneath each image posted.  I'll be back to the 1:12th Car Life magazine 1969 Camaro project soon.  Kind thanks for skimming this most recent addition.

Mike K.

...the hollow vinyl black tires are 1:18th ERTL 427 Cobra issue, whereas the white resin tires combine the sidewall detail of the former less oversized lettering and reduced in width front and rear.  I hope to cast these in soft black-tinted urethane or resin.

...the new tire masters are here contrasted to the original 1:18th GMP wheel and tire set wet weather Goodyear Trans Am tires. 

...seen mounted are the old GMP Goodyear '71 and later wets (these standard GMP issue), whereas to the left is noticed a new tire modified from an old ERTL release of a 427 Cobra that featured period Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Specials.  The new tire is wider, rounder of sidewall, etc.

...the same effort applied to the back, the chassis shown a '70-'71 Hwy. 61 AAR 'Cuda.  The new tire is wider, taller of section, and too sports a nicer sidewall profile. 

-

...my  AAR 'Cuda project then as viewed from the right front three quarter.  Note how well the plastic 'glass' responds to sympathetic waxing and polishing.  The front wheel arch opening lip was saved atop the indicators, and removed entirely from the rear quarter panels.  The front spoiler is scratch built, whereas the Wink multiple element rear view mirror is also scratch built.

...a side view of the 'Cuda.  The rear ride height stands to be increased a bit.

...and lastly, a top rear three quarter view with select tail panel additions seen.  Continued thanks for the continued interest displayed.

M.K. 

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 30, 2015, 12:02:37 AM »
Man that is a lot of attention to detail. Roughly How long does it take you to complete a car from start to finish?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 30, 2015, 03:20:26 AM »
I never cease to be amazed by the stuff you make, Mike.  Nice work!
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 30, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »
Man that is a lot of attention to detail. Roughly How long does it take you to complete a car from start to finish?

Thanks for your interest.  In relation to modest wheel and tire mods., a few months may be all that is required.  In relation to the more thoroughgoing conversions where I'm starting with a standard production model and proceeding towards a full race end, it seems they stretch across years.  As my technical skills and capabilities advance, previously daunting aspects of this project and that are more forthrightly attacked and attempted, and hence I'm able to pick up the pace in relation to that which I wish to achieve here. 

I suspect that if I stuck to one project and simply dedicated to one alone in this vein, perhaps it would take two years to see such to completion.  As matters stand and in addition to skills built up, I will hesitate to proceed if I judge myself decidedly short of research to fabricate this or that, while if not having much strict relation to the 1:1 vintage Trans Am hobby, I do attempt to catalog period race reports and technical features in-depth consistent with generating the best and most accurate scale replica that might be fashioned.  It does happen where some odd picture will emerge within my print collection or scanning for such online that will clarify much and energize me to push ahead with this project and that. 

Recently found was an October '70 issue of Auto Driver (a Clymer publication formerly known as 'Auto Topics' thus not a misprint!) with a dual feature of the Autodynamics Challenger and standard production T/A that hitherto I didn't know existed.  Three new color images of the racer being tested at Willow Springs preseason were contained within, hence more to go on and will fuller confidence I proceed ahead.  Thanks all for the kind notice.

Mike K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »
Whether you are working on a scale model or restoring a 1:1 real car, pictures are what we all live for when we want to get certain details right.
Jon Mello
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 01, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »
Whether you are working on a scale model or restoring a 1:1 real car, pictures are what we all live for when we want to get certain details right.

I agree with you there Jon.

So if you run across a new publication or images, and see some new detail, do you go back and change a car you may have been finished with?

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 01, 2015, 11:01:10 PM »

I agree with you there Jon.

So if you run across a new publication or images, and see some new detail, do you go back and change a car you may have been finished with?

Yep.  I suppose I tend to my small collection as if I were running a private vintage racing research and fabrication facility with the capacity and desire to improve upon matters if discoveries reveal I could do something better.  As more than a few Trans Am racers won't strictly be restored to their first season configuration or be assigned driver identification that reflects who most often piloted this or that car, in a manner of speaking I can pretend away without destroying latter 1:1 history (i.e. the '72 ARA/RWR Javelins will never be returned to '70 Penske specification, whereas the 'junkbox' development hack is only an approximation of what was run in '70). 

We've all noticed that the standard of restoration and the accuracy of presentation on the 1:1 racers continues apace, while such efforts are considerably informed by resources availed to enthusiasts here on the CRG Trans Am subpage.  1:1 vehicles may pass from owner to owner to reemerge from shops in finer fettle, whereas if I can mimic this progression in scale, I'll do my best to act upon new developments given I've chosen to focus upon the old SCCA Trans Am O2 category.  A considerable degree of pleasure in obviously taken by me to rectify errors short of wholly stalling my builds.  That anyone at all would provide reasoned feedback in relation to my projects means much to me, whereas the social aspect of the hobby wasn't something I suspected could yield one such enjoyment and satisfaction.     

As to my efforts, it helps greatly to have spares in excess, hence what I try at a later time may well be worked out off of the original build entirely, substituted in only when all interference issues and quality concerns are seen to.  If I roundly fail in relation to altering something for the better, no trace of my efforts so-directed need ever be seen!  Diecast models tend to come apart quite easily, whereas some aspects of my models (i.e. wheel mounting systems in particular) profit if you will for better techniques and materials I can apply to them only years later.  Others things I'm working on aren't strictly hinted upon across this very long thread, but should they work then what seemed clever might be considerably reconfigured if I can carry off intended improvements without great issue.  By way of example, the flare work on the 1:18th Sun Star '64 Pontiac GTO-based Team Trans Action Gray Ghost was redone again and again until I judged it acceptable.  This said, plastic models in other scales are considerably less forgiving in terms of tolerating repeated disassembly, hence what I'm willing to do with them is less bold by way of contrast. 

With regards to the Autodynamics Challenger, for a very long time I didn't feel I strictly had enough basic period photographs to properly comprehend the configuration of the odd three-link rear suspension the team employed.  Only late last year (2014 then) did I come to understand what lurked beneath the Challengers irrespective of what substantive clues I had in hand.  Continuing with this topic, other materials have floated to the surface that include the configuration of the lateral bracework forward of the front seat differing in detail from the original #77, as well as perhaps four or five underhood photographs I was floored to discover via the Stanford University Rev's Digital Library.  Karl Ludvigsen entrusted his photographic archive to Rev's, whereas no less than about sixty images hitherto unseen from the Sports Car Graphic coverage of the Watkins Glen T/A date in '70 versus the two or three that were published back in the day. 

Short personal resources effectively prevent me from more substantive participation in the vintage Trans Am scene, although for concerted efforts in scale I can, in a manner of speaking, actively pretend away to the extent of 'calling the shots' in relation to how matters will be configured, what paint finishes will be applied, what race might be reproduced, choose to employ what would be nonexistent in 1:1 (i.e. perhaps doing my own blue line Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Specials), or insist upon the use of assemblies and quaint engineering ideas that were discarded in period as inoperable and since never refitted to be run in anger on the vintage circuit (i.e. the aforementioned Autodynamics three-link rear suspension).  In essence my ambitions have been rescaled to better match my modest financial capabilities, while being taken seriously by the 1:1 community has been an unexpected bonus.   

All I know for certain is that my actual'74 BMW 2002 didn't offer such enjoyment on a per dollar basis as contrasted to 'unlimited' expenditure directed towards scale topics of choice, namely the Trans Am topics glanced across the expanse of this now very lengthy thread.  The social contacts and informed discussion availed for focus on a single make and a single model too is dwarfed by what I've been so kindly availed across this scene by way of comparison.  Thanks for your interest...

Mike K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 02, 2015, 03:36:02 AM »
Most people cannot afford to restore and play around with the Historic Trans-Am cars in 1:1 form.  There is no shame or disgrace in anybody enjoying these cars in smaller scale especially when you have the skills to do that at the high level that you do, Mike.  I don't think you feel that way, but if you do, you shouldn't.
Jon Mello
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 02, 2015, 04:21:09 AM »
While I am aware of the judged shows for specific scale models, I would have to commend you and think you must be in the 1% for high quality and accuracy that you are able to produce such works of art.
*You may have more time/knowledge and hands on experience than some of the collectors who own the 1:1 versions that still exist. ;)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 02, 2015, 04:24:33 AM »
Oh By the way I look forward to seeing the 69 Daytona Yellow Z. Highly optioned car, Good luck!

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 05, 2015, 09:42:12 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and attention,

Light work performed across the weekend includes trimming the front spoiler to reflect Bridgehampton spec., the creation of subtle lanyard stays atop the fiberglass hood, as well as rear valance panel mods. consistent with coming up with a correct profile for the exhaust exits witnessed on the standard 'Cuda panel employed by AAR at least during the first two-thirds of the season. 

...the lanyard stays are pins cut to length which will soon be combined with light duty clear fishing line to reproduce the lanyard/pin clip cables proper.  Note too the revised front spoiler ends and enlarged brake cooling inlets. 

...as contrasted to the rather severe profile of the angular outlets reproduced on the Hwy. 61 Hemi 'Cuda rear valence panel, the modified AAR 'Cuda panel looks considerably better.  Also discernible is the revised contour of the base of the primered example which is smoother for fine filing work. 

...and in position then.  The molded-in fuel tank has been removed, whereas a resin fuel cell housing has been added here.  Thanks for reviewing this brief update.

Mike K.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 05, 2015, 09:49:14 PM »
Sorry if you explained this already. What were the rear valance openings for?

anything