Author Topic: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.  (Read 224075 times)

Oldtimer

• View Profile
Re: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« Reply #360 on: September 01, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
Mike - the Solido Meyers Manx seat may be trying to replicate a Steve McQueen “Solar” seat.

There was one in the ‘69 former Bolus and Snopes racing Camaro I bought back in 1975.

I’ll see if I can find a picture.

May not be appropriate for your Penske build, but a reputable and comfortable racing seat nonetheless.

Now, as I begin my B&S custom, I’ll need to remove the GMP-provided seat in the Todco donor and add a Solar from the Manx.

Not real clear, but you can see the seat back in the second picture pretty well.

Seat-2 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Tank-2 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 21, 2020, 01:01:22 AM »
Neat insight, neat photos of 'Steve's Neat Seat' surely - thanks Oldtimer!

-

Greetings...

Seen below would be some scant photo research to support the fabrication of the enlarged filler neck fit in combination with the inlet flap for my particular '69 Penske Trans-Am Camaro.  The 1:18th scale GMP '69 release is accurate for an early-season entry (at M.I.S. most certainly), although the earlier system was soon replaced with an evolving iteration of the much more pronounced for volume filler neck said to possess two to three gallons capacity in it's own right. 

...image from the January '70 Car Life article 'Professionals at Work', photo credit presumably to David Bean.  It would seem to be a fairly early season image judging by the content of other photos accompanying the feature story. 

...a glance down into the trunk area of the restored topic.

...and this a late-season photo likely captured by Paul Van Valkenburgh for his '72 title Chevrolet = Racing?  Ten Years of Raucous Silence!  Notice how the design evolved consistent with affording still greater capacity...

...my effort thus far, with the top surface a compromise given the GMP trunk lid casting is rather thick for being a diecast metal part.  Further, necessity dictates that the inlet rests at a particular angle and height relative to the surrounding panel work.  In essence, this is an effort guided by the first Car Life photo...

...and just one last image.  The small pair of supports afforded by GMP that attach to the filler neck can be reused, while the vent system plus hoses still stands to be added.  The fuel pump setup has been cut off this spare assembly and is slated to return. 

If anyone might have better period images to flesh out what is needed here, I'd be most appreciative if such were shared.  Although not reproduced or attached here, I do have the Sears DieHard 'It all started with DieHard' print ad. revealing the battery installation in what would likely have been the '69 Riverside Mission Bell 250 entries with an oblique view of other items in the trunk area including the filler flap door and seal.  Kind thanks in advance.

Mike K./Swede70

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 21, 2020, 05:30:05 PM »
Another of the unfair advantage mods. Good work Mike!