Author Topic: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.  (Read 326609 times)

Swede70

• View Profile
Re: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« Reply #345 on: July 23, 2020, 12:59:54 AM »
Greetings...

This would be my 1967 Penske Donohue Trans-Am Camaro Kent, WA taking shape, again based on the GMP #36 '67 Daytona 24HR tool of old.  An example was found for $110 and pretty much reflects what could be had w/box without further ado.  The framed side window vents seem taller and fit better versus the reissues in particular, hence this is something.   Worry not - the '69-model dash and dash pad painted light gray here is fated to be excised like a tumor...

Some diecast rash was in evidence across the hood and seems typical of these models when purchased second hand; i.e. one must be careful!  In particular, polishing out the stripes and numeral overlaying onto the paint otherwise seen on the right forward section of the hood was no fun at all.  For long it appeared I couldn't save it, although happily some of the worst areas were fated to vanish beneath a new stripe application.  Yes - this model has a past...

Other things done include the removal of the silver-painted drip rail trim, relocated numeral/roundels, a replacement deck lid with an narrow oval refueling perforation, and altered wheel paint versus standard.  The waterslide markings were sourced from IndyCals (see note and link above), while 'Goodyear' marked tires replace the 'Firestone' marked tires.  As for the tread design, the GMP tires seem to be '71 and later Goodyear wets and nothing I can strictly replace at the moment. 

The trunk lid numeral/roundel is still attached to it's sheet and won't be applied given I can't adequately trim away the excess yellow material visible along the edge.  A new decal sheet will be ordered, with a better registered numeral/roundel substituted in consistent with keeping things both clean and sharp.  And just briefly, a spare rear screen was swapped in sans retension straps afforded on the GMP '67 Daytona 24HR release.  Retension clips were fitted, albeit not straps from what I can tell...

Moving along, some underhood items are noticed in the form of resin 'stamped steel' valve covers and a Lane/Exact Detail single 4BBL cowl induction setup that replaces what I worked up long ago.  My hope is to leave more things in place consistent with simplifying the repaint process across the chassis, although some things still stand to be altered.

Kind thanks to Jon Mello for your contributions variously manifest (saving the image content long ago in particular - whew!) given it's been helpful to review the insight you'd provided.  Conscious of what has been shared earlier, I'm carefully reviewing materials much further up this thread as I go about revising the roll cage configuration in particular - a second time this.  Thanks to anyone whom might mull this project update...

Mike K./Swede70

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2020, 04:39:08 AM »
Mike,

I was glad to be able to keep the old photos and it's good they are of use to you as you go back through the thread.  I'm thrilled you are working on a new & improved '67 Penske Camaro.  I offered up photos and information to GMP when they were doing these models in the pre-production stage in the hopes they would do a nicer, more accurate job.  I wanted a black interior and true '67 dash in the '67 car but in the end they standardized things across the three years, much to my chagrin.  I did get several pre-production models for free for my troubles so I didn't completely strike out.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 02, 2020, 03:08:41 PM »
Thanks Jon again for all you have done...

Happily the chassis and how it is specifically screwed together is known for long experience, hence disassembly wasn't too much of a challenge.  Here the chassis casting, front subframe and other parts have been refinished consistent with making the model appear as something production-based prior to Penske Racing's practice of finishing most surfaces in gray paint.  Where's the problem on the car?  I dunno - I can't SEE the problem!

It's a bit underwhelming to notice this or that assembly vanish into the darkness given the lack of contrast between assemblies, although some things tried in recent days are helping the overall look of things.  Seen will be work to create better exhaust dumps for use of 5/32nd or 3.97 mm brass tube in combination with locating pins off the back of each header collector fashioned from 1/8" or 3.2 mm plastic rod sanded down to ensure a tight fit.  Another set of  the dumps was bent up for eventual use on my '68 Penske Camaro consistent with scattered finish work necessary to square away my GMP Penske Camaro trio.

Notice how the exhaust dumps angle up a bit near the rocker panels just prior to exiting.  I would try to cut each dump off at the appropriate angle which seemed different than the more or less flush cut seen across earlier events that season.  I don't see any clips holding the dumps in-place here, hence what was worked up has to be stiff enough not to strictly require such. 

Even in the wake of review of the '67 SCCA General Competition Rules, I'm not sure Penske used a standard stamped steel fuel tank or a fuel cell.  Perhaps they doubled up higher capacity halves in the style of the Ford teams, while the two trunk image I have of a trunk-mounted battery being topped up or charged doesn't reveal any specific detail to help clarify matters.  Up front, a pair of chromed bathroom hardware washers have been employed as brake discs, their utility manifest as not appearing stamped on the cheap or for evidencing uneven or discolored plating.

And while not disassembled, the mold seams on each header have here been sanded away consistent with rendering them invisible under paint.  Finding an appropriate matte pale yellow took a little time, with my first effort being too thick and actually fuzzy to the touch.  Some hardware detail on the chassis has been painted, although much of what is discerned is just stock GMP issue. 

Better capturing the bend to ensure each exhaust dump would run tight against the floor surface and rocker panels in particular.  I like brass, although sadly I've not had much success bending it for use across my 1:25th topics.  I misplaced my only photo of the drilled and hence ventilated brake drums, although I'm not sure the parts I used here would have strictly been made out to reveal such work had it been attempted. 

...and finally, in paint.  It proved hard to capture the paint tone for the limitations of my equipment teamed to thin technique, although apart and away from the image seen here, I'm largely happy with the effect generated.  Thanks for your review of this small update.

Mike K./Swede70

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:58:06 PM by Swede70 »

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2020, 03:40:23 PM »
Greetings,

Upon the unexpected receipt of a pair of GMP '67 Penske #16 Geo. Follmer body shells from ijb40/Oldtimer (with very kind thanks expressed! M.K.), here I've opted to replace my zinc rash-impacted original with the best panels on hand.  Although discreet, an effort was made to disassemble and carefully mask the shell to overpaint all areas hitherto finished in light gray in Tamiya TS-15 Blue lacquer to match the body hue.  These areas would include the undersurfaces of the roof and A-pillars, all the door jambs and the trunk walls besides.  New decals were ordered, while one hood stripe decal was removed and recycled for use on the replacement shell given I misjudged how a new image ought to have been trimmed. 

This would be the new brass tube exhaust dumps in-place and on the chassis.  These were painted a pale dusty yellow as were the headers...

Although the inner door structure still required paint when this photo was taken, here the better shell w/decals is seen.  Microscale Liquid Decal Film was used to add a bit of stick to the back of the recycled waterslide decal that is surprisingly holding fast...

With the hood up, painted black beneath and scrubbed clean of overspray on the top side.  Mercifully the hood scissor hinge paint hasn't scrubbed off for the actual use of such...

With the tail panel stripes growing, albeit the valence panel has been removed and requires repair before being copied in resin to afford refinish options and latitude for other possible modifications.  Thanks for your review of this scale project update.

Mike K./Swede70

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2020, 11:52:03 PM »
Looking good Mike! Awesome gesture on the gifting by Oldtimer!

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 15, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »
Fantastic! Excellent work, I'm jealous.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 18, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
Thanks for the kind continuing notice everyone...

Moving along, the GMP '67-'69 Trans-Am Camaro range are each fitted what would presumably be a Harrison aluminum radiator set back somewhat from the radiator support, with structure afforded to shift matters rearward.  For review of period photos, this appears a somewhat later development, hence a bit of trimming and parts substitution will be done to backdate things. 

Andrew Keller image of the topic underhood at Marlboro '67 then...

...while here I've opted to cut the fill panel detail that would otherwise seal the gap between the radiator support and header panel looking forward, while a Lane/Exact Detail '68 Firebird 400 H.O. affords a replacement radiator that appears more appropriate.  A brass mesh debris screen will be added forward of the radiator cut out on the support, while the otherwise hidden oil cooler installation should become visible and will likely be plumbed. 

Although aspects of the engine and transmission can be disassembled to facilitate paintwork, much of it can only be masked with difficulty.  Seen above are a few minor additions and guesses, with Eastwood's 1:1 restoration line of spray paints being tapped for refinishing the transmission case in particular.  Alumi-Blast is a rather heavy metallic aerosol paint intended to reproduce the look of cast aluminum, and here in 1:18th scale it basically works.  Silly Putty was used to mask many an irregular surface to yield a tight and precise cut line, while at present I'm hesitating to scratch build a scattershield even as I've painted the stock bellhousing black to suggest something has been substituted in.  Finally, and almost as a lark, driveshift color i.d. bands were added in a rough sense to lend modest visual interest.  Kind thanks for your review of this project update.

Mike K./Swede70

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 18, 2020, 01:45:07 PM »
Oh - and this rather quick...

For review it appears that the entire GMP '67-'69 Camaro range comes through with either '69 Standard or alternately, '69 Deluxe interior trim.  Oddly enough, the GMP '69 Penske Donohue and Bucknam releases are fitted with the Deluxe trim even as GMP had tooled up the appropriate Standard trim level panels!

In a world without limits I'd design and perhaps 3D-print '67 Standard interior trim panels, or perhaps work up suitable replacements for careful use of cut up architectural plastic sheet and thin bar stock, although here I've cheated a bit.  Instead a set of '69 Standard interior panels here have been overpainted to disguise the existence of the year-specific trim, while a small length of plastic has been added to each panel to suggest '67 Standard spec.   

...the faux '67 Standard panels are seen above, while below are a set of unmodified '69 Standard trim level panels taken from a GMP '67 Penske Donohue Camaro release - go figure. 

...with the doors on, the mildly revised interior trim panels on oblique view.  Small photo-etched door lock cylinders now make an appearance.

Sadly I could go no thinner on the U-channel plastic stock options given this was the smallest material I could find, hence I opted to mask the horizontal trim situated higher up on each panel somewhat wider to disguise things.  When installed, everything pretty much vanishes from sight and isn't terrifically obvious, although I do hope it's an improvement.  Thanks again...

Mike K./Swede70

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 18, 2020, 10:20:39 PM »
Wow Mike, nicely done! Keep the pics and descriptions coming!

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 23, 2020, 12:28:13 AM »
Thanks for the kind interest expressed...

Seen will be a multi-part accessory drive taking shape, broken down as it is to facilitate paint work, but also to add a second set of pulleys to double up on the drives to the water pump in case of belt failure.  Notice that the pulleys w/belts second from the left is just a duplicate of the all of a piece alternator drive setup, although trimmed and featuring a small belt segment addition to square away matters.  Looking upon things, each pulley element needs to be thinned to appear more appropriate in total, although what's been worked up doesn't appear terrible for being lightly glued together as witnessed. 

...unseen from this angle is a small brass mesh debris screen added on the forward side of the radiator support.  It's been painted to match the support and wouldn't photograph well regardless.

Also noticed will be a new set of old-school scripted 'Chevrolet' valve covers sourced from a 1:18th Hwy. 61 '57 Chevy release, the stamped steel covers bearing scripts in use across '67 before being phased out by GM itself.  I'm creating a urethane mold to cast the covers, hoping too that the script remains legible.  The odd contrast for color seen is attributable to me matching up the new as-delivered valve covers to the GMP small block Chevy cylinder heads.  The fit is quite reasoned, hence no serious issues here.   

Again - thanks for your review of this most recent scale project update.

Mike K./Swede70

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 23, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
Nice detail Mike and I think the valve covers are a nice touch.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 24, 2020, 02:48:03 AM »
Wow, Mike.  You never cease to amaze me.  Very nice efforts on your part.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 31, 2020, 07:10:35 PM »
Greetings and thanks for the ongoing interest...

Small stuff, but here would be the multi-part accessory drive in paint, with the new scripted valve covers and breather setup also present.  My camera won't quite capture the old-school 'Chevrolet' scripts cast in to the valve covers as-tooled, although they do register and happily appear in scale. 

In '67 it seems the Dayco D7 outer mass 'checkered' fan belts weren't yet in use (or perhaps available) by Traco, hence this detail couldn't be added in full faith.  Most of what was worked up with be duplicated to go into my '68 Penske Camaro which at present is without an engine.  For recent diecast market trends, 1:18th engines can be purchased separately consistent with recovering matters. 

-

Not being sure what was specific fit to the '70 Chaparral Camaro Trans-Am entries in terms of the seat design used, for review of what materials I could examine I thought maybe an early Corbeau, or possibly something done by Scheel-Mann. 

K. Ludvigsen image, as captured at '70 Bridgehampton.   

The Dave Friedman Lime Rock '70 photo set features many interior photographs that afford other angles, albeit nothing face-on to an unoccupied seat.  Further, it seems Scheel may have been better on the quality front as contrasted to Corbeau, while for review of the stitching and fabric, perhaps I discounted the former and opted for the latter. 

A 1:18th Solido Meyers Manx yielded up what would seem to be a Corbeau design, although the integrated headrest wasn't desired.  Seen below would be my effort to cut out said headrest, introduce a shortened pad in place of such, and finally, apply putty consistent with suggesting fabric covered foam as apposed to what might be termed vinyl tuck and roll.   

...I decided to just cut out the offending area on a resin clone, guiding my efforts based upon what might be construed as cut lines on the Solido rendition of the design.  I do have a 1:18th Minichamps '73 BMW 3.0 CSL with the Scheel seats, although the design isn't any closer to the reference image attached above...

...a bit overexposed, but what I've worked up to date.  Notice how the cast in seating surfaces have been puttied and sanded to suggest uniformly shaped foam pads.

...while all wrapped up even as things appear a bit pinched inside.  Thanks for your review of this multi-project update.

Mike K./Swede70

Oldtimer

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 01, 2020, 12:10:28 AM »
Mike - the Solido Meyers Manx seat may be trying to replicate a Steve McQueen “Solar” seat.

There was one in the ‘69 former Bolus and Snopes racing Camaro I bought back in 1975.

I’ll see if I can find a picture.

May not be appropriate for your Penske build, but a reputable and comfortable racing seat nonetheless.

Now, as I begin my B&S custom, I’ll need to remove the GMP-provided seat in the Todco donor and add a Solar from the Manx.

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 01, 2020, 01:00:35 AM »
Greetings and thanks for the insights shared...

This would be the CRG Trans-Am racing seat thread, which contains much of interest as well as reference to 'Steve's Neat Seat'. 

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7944.0;all

Maybe the Solar Automotive Products (why do I want to say Solar Plastics?) iteration seemed more of a  thin fiberglass shell when I looked at it, but something for me to reconsider all the same.  Some light research on the Meyers Manx might reveal a list of suppliers, etc., which could help too.  I did read a Collectible Automobile feature on Bruce Myers and was favorably impressed; i.e. an interesting  guy and a unique impact he made.  Kind regards...

Mike K./Swede70

anything