Author Topic: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.  (Read 326165 times)

Swede70

• View Profile
Re: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
Greetings,

A modest update - minor tweaking then.  The straight profile of the front bumper seemed off, looking particularly lifeless.  Others commented about the same, and while I didn't think I had sufficient material to do it, for reintroducing the profile I was simultaneously called upon to narrow the entire bumper assembly.  This effort had the effect of tucking in the ends and is consistent with cleaning up the frontal profile in a way that seems believable.  The mods. whisper 'factory car' to this enthusiast, although in truth I'm not sure if there was so very much done to the 1:1 vehicle in this respect.  So - narrower, pulled inward slightly, as well as upward and bending down slightly for how it is mounted.  Better I do believe.

Not breathtaking, but a new air filter element and base is in place, taken from the 1:18 ERTL Authentic's 1967 Camaro Z/28.  The height of the entire induction system including the cold air seal and cold air seal base has been reduced and is far better than before.  The photo images are not of sufficient quality to detect much has been done.

Oh, and a bit of latter-day forced perspective fun - pretending if you will that the smaller resin 1:25th version and the larger 1:18th rendition are equal in size.  The aqua-painted wheels reflect a later season spec., whereas the hood tachometer pod will have to be pulled.  Oh, and yes - the radiator support does tilt a bit inward from the bottom, although a touch exaggerated on the 1:25th model at present which features revised radiator and oil cooler detail.  Thanks...

Mike K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:55:12 PM by Jon Mello »

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »
Greetings,

The discovery of a cheaper and more-effective means to reproduce machined lip detail for the wheels of topics that require such prompts me to update my '69 Welly/GMP Shelby Racing Co. BOSS 302.  Brutally tough on the hands to cut these down to size, but enough of an improvement afforded to merit the effort.

...before

...and after.  The opportunity was taken to refinish the wheel spiders with Model Master Stainless Steel overlaid with a dusting of Tamiya Pearlescent Clear - seemingly the way to 'do magnesium' given experimentation and comparison with my real Minilites.

-

A source then:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pgh/pgh2399.htm

-

Thanks...

Mike K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:56:13 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2013, 06:01:09 AM »
Very nice detail touch, Mike. Looks great!

Thanks for the link as well.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 21, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
Greetings,

Some further refinements to a 1:25 Jo-Han (John Hanley was the name of the original owner - and hence now you know) 1970 Mark Donohue Trans-Am Javelin with the Jimmy Flintstone resin bodyshell complete with flares.  Note that it has a scratch-built late-1970 season front spoiler intended to be aluminum with a pair of lexan extensions (note the split), whereas the brake cooling inlets are situated high up the assembly.  Viewed face-on they appear small of section top-to-bottom, although when viewed at an angle they make good sense for the inlet is positioned to route air down at an angle just below the bumper stamping headed rearward.

Other things attempted are both numerous and discreet.  A better front tire has been mastered utilizing a mid-'60's MPC kit release Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special sidewall with the tread (such as it was) of a late'60's/early '70's MPC Goodyear Blue Streak NASCAR tire.  The tread of the latter was cut from a flexible vinyl kit tire, trimmed to reduce the outer diameter of such, and then glued fast to a round plug to which the better sidewall detail was glued.  Nice width, a good aspect ratio - a job well done.  

The rear tire is the late-season spec. '70's MPC Goodyear Blue Streak NASCAR fitment, albeit increased in width about 30%.  I'd ordered and contemplated the use of Perry's Resin Trans Am wheels and tires, but wasn't entirely sold on their use in 1:25th scale as contrasted to 1:24th.  Given this, what is seen here was worked up instead.  I intend to cast these in pliable two-part tinted resin, and employ the results across my 1:25 Jo-Han Javelin projects to-be.  Perhaps a '68 and '69 RKE Javelin someday?  A '69 entry would be especially fun given I've never seen such done in scale, whereas not so long ago there really weren't sufficient available photo images around to inform what needed to be replicated.  

...a nice Racemark seat employs two AMT NASCAR Matador assemblies to stretch out the bottom towards the knees.  The seat edge detail didn't strictly exist, nor did the headrest extend out as far as it might - hence these aspects were scratch-built.

...brass grille mesh then.  Inner wing/inner fender detail to be entirely redone from scratch, for not so much can be salvaged from what was afforded.  Surely the most labor-intensive aspects of this project.  The 'fiberglass' air cleaner housing is a resin casting of something scratch-built from before.  The center 'hardware' is new, whereas a flexible soda straw will be cast, bent to shape, and sanded to reproduce the duct work needed heading away from the firewall to feed said housing.  

A dimensionally shorter Jo-Han AMC engine was created for reducing the overall height of the block, flattening the base of the intake, and shortening the mains girdle area.  Jo-Han economized when tooling the later AMC V8 for revising some aspects of an older tool without wholly committing to starting anew.  Given this, the heads were wrong, the water pump and timing chain housing/casting are mounted far too low, and the intake as-delivered comes through with a noticeable dip visible front and back to fill in and disguise the use of an incorrect block.  Worse - to house this too-tall assembly, all Jo-Han Javelins/AMX/Javelin-AMX tools have front crossmembers dropped to accommodate such.  The use of the original tool engine results in a model that cannot be set at the proper ride height given the strange engine dimensions and everything done to disguise the use of it.  Here most everything is fixed.  

...note the Panhard rod chassis mount taking shape, as well as the larger-piston/outer body KONI double adjustable shocks taking form behind two pair of stock '69 Jo-Han S/C Rambler kit parts.  A bit longer, thicker across the top then.  Though very easy to miss, the cast-in rear bumper has been removed entirely, with a two-piece plug now substituting for it.  

A short, compressed wrap up then.  Underside view depicts a 1:25 Jo-Han '70 Rebel Machine front suspension grafted onto their '70 Javelin Trans-Am chassis, with a '69 S/C Rambler rear axle 'hump' and trunk floor, plus overlaid leaf springs.  The rear diff. is indeed an AMC Model 20 humorously afforded and supplied within a Jo-Han funny car kit (with keyed-axles - um-mm, I don't think so!). The leaf spring shackles are '69 S/C Rambler (one each from two kits given the shocks are staggered on the S/C Rambler, and not on this application), whereas I hope there will be enough room for the anti-roll bar (especially the odd clamped pickup points) and Panhard rod assembly in anticipation of creating like-assemblies for other (and usually larger of scale) projects.  

The rear bumper seen has been narrowed as have been the rear indicator/brake light clusters for as-delivered the whole assembly is wider then it should be.  Although puttied up and looking a bit strange, lastly one will notice the rear spoiler which employs the '71 and on ends which extend down a bit with late-season fueling inlet detail.  As the '70 Mark Donohue kit comes through, the rear spoiler is entirely flat of profile across the rear base; i.e. not what was desired.  Thanks...  

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:59:07 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »
Lots of nice details and a lot of work, Mike. Very nice job so far. How are you rechroming the bumpers?
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the kind notice/comments,

It took some time, but eventually the model car community was able to afford those of the fold plastic part vacuum rechroming services that are equal or superior to what may be found in a normal kit release.  Promotional model collectors are an especially serious bunch, insisting that plating be fresh before parting with $300-$700 for a rare dealer promo, and probably led the way in relation to what is afforded at present.  Little Motor Kar Kompany (they have a light web presence and are seen mostly at midwest regional hobby shows) as well as Chrome Tech USA seem the current options as I write this, whereas another firm situated in Canada also did a bit of business although for light research they seem to have vanished from the scene.  Others who do not wish to enlist the services of a vacuum rechroming outfit may opt to use Alclad lacquers which, if applied with reasoned care via the skilled use of an airbrush, can simulate a plated surface with some fidelity.  

See:

http://www.chrometechusa.com/

http://alclad2.com

Beyond issues of wear and fade, resin castings can be plated, whereas there is much to be said for cleaning up a clumsy casting of something that was originally a stamped part if such is applicable.  Contours and surface detailing can be missed if mastered from web images in particular.  Removing the seams, contrasting a part directly to a 1:1 example of what is desired (i.e. the blade bumper of a '69 to '70 Mustang BOSS 302 as done by Welly in particular) affords one the chance to substantially (albeit discreetly) alter the appearance of a scale model for the good.  While I never strictly rechromed the rear bumper of the 1:18 GMP Penske/Donohue Camaro I have (i.e. such wasn't required), something had to be done about those awful overriders someone specified including!  Tow hook cut outs, as well as attachment hardware dimples can be better reproduced as well for the flexibility afforded.  Thanks...  

...sans a few parts, but notice the taiilpanel pinstriping added, as well as the reshaped bumper ends and the overriders that have been removed leaving no trace behind of the same.  The dashboard with tiny 'Dymo' labels too can be noticed here, complete with the aircraft spec. starter switch.  Yes, the steering wheel is missing in the photo.

Mike K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:59:56 PM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »
Thanks for the insight into the chroming service.

There are some nice details on the GMP Penske model in many instances and then you look at things
like the absolute straight-up profile on the back of the rear spoiler and wonder how they missed something
so blatantly bad.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
Greetings,

After a long silence - a return.  Very kind thanks to Jon Mello and others for the support afforded during an exceptionally uncertain time which I truly hope is behind me.  I greatly value the support and informed feedback afforded here at the CRG in the past, and eagerly hope such may continue.  Again - my great thanks for the tangible sense of community availed.

Consistent with a certain proven inconsistency of focus, here is witnessed what is now a pair of 1970 season Autodynamics Challengers last seen in 2010.  These are 1:18 Hwy. 61 tools that form the best platform for replicas of such in scale.  Continuing, common it is for me to fabricate parts to accommodate most specifications of a particular racer as seen across a season, whereas I'd accumulated enough parts to effectively fit out a #77 Laguna Seca entry as I've reacquainted myself with the #76 Kent project which was seen within earlier posts of this very long thread.  If anyone is determined to mount the courage to stare down a 1:18 Hwy. 61-based E-body SCCA Trans-Am project (among others), I may be able to help out for territory explored and mistakes made.  

Resin casting of key elements scattered across both these cars will allow this builder to fit out a pair of AAR 'Cudas with most shared elements, with allowances made to modify parts that will nevertheless be easier to fabricate using basic shapes saved from the Challenger projects; i.e. the front upper control arm inner wing/inner fender pockets will be modified on the AAR 'Cudas reflecting AAR's specific desire to have greater shock absorber travel to match the one inch lower ride height spindles that weren't shared with Autodynamics.  Apparently one must be on guard to be certain that all the trick stuff is afforded upon delivery of a rolling chassis!

...the 'new build' #77 awaiting lip flares to the shell amongst other things.  And yes - that daunting physical presence seen behind the table is me...

...the 'old' #76 stripped of some items in anticipation of casting each to share across builds.

...and a family photograph of sorts complete with what is now one of two research folders.

Kind regards to the board - as always!

Mike K.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2014, 02:51:00 AM »
Mike, nice to see you post again. I've missed the updates of your great work.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2014, 04:16:06 AM »
Mike, it is wonderful to have you back and to see you posting again. Your contributions were definitely missed.
I think it probably makes sense to tackle the two different Challengers together. If you have to fabricate something
you can just double up at the same time. They're looking good so far!
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »
Greetings and thanks for the kind interest displayed,

(...apologies for the images are quite large - a matter to be addressed soon)

Below can be seen the unfolding labors of my wheel and now tire project for period 1:18th Trans-Am topics.  My efforts to produce my own resin Minilites with a proper spoke and outer rim lip design has gone well enough, although to date I've relied upon old GMP tires that are of scarcely different size front to rear, are somewhat square of shoulder and further, feature a wet weather tread design.  That 1:18 GMP Trans-Am wheel and tire sets have become both rare and pricey when they do surface on the market has served as an additional prod to come up with other options.  And oh, the Autodynamics Challenger images seen depict what were likely open practice shots captured early season at Bryar, NH.

Continuing then, a two-part urethane casting was taken of a 1:18 ERTL Goodyear Blue Streak tire (actually the front and rear) as found on a much older Cobra 427 SC tool, whereupon a pair of castings in two-part white resin was produced to facilitate the narrowing of each tire (one tread 'rib' from the front, two from the rear) whereupon a sidewall was thinned and cut before being glued to the bulk of the tread and sidewall from the first casting.  I wish I could claim all this was done employing a hobby lathe, but I cannot!  Instead, a very large rasp file was employed to quite deliberately thin and plane each respective white resin casting before the quality of such was sufficient to glue my labors together.  

Seen in the photos are the original GMP Minilites wearing the GMP tires (note the peg-like spoke design - yuck!), while just behind these may be seen the 1:18 ERTL Goodyear Blue Streaks 'as delivered'.  Slightly further back can be seen my narrowed masters sans raised and angled GOODYEAR identification (see the IndyCals post to discern what I hope to apply instead), while the final set in the rear have been sufficiently opened up in diameter from the center to fit the resin Minilite wheels (less internal structure to fit into the old semi-hollow GMP tire).  Next step will be the creation of urethane molds for the tires proper, whereas also seen in an image provided are sample pucks of material that vary in hardness and flexibility affording this writer various 'compounds' to employ in the final product.  Lastly, a tint can be added to appropriately color the resin or urethane employed to generate an agreeable final product.  Whew - much work here!  

...from front to rear the line up of options and stages to better proportioned and detailed dry weather period Goodyear Blue Streaks.

...material pucks suggest latitude afforded with regards to that which the tires will be made of.

...and finally, an experiment was conducted consistent with what was done on the period E-bodies to accommodate those enormous tires; i.e. a rear wheel house was extended on a spare chassis to the extent of removing material to allow space for a wheel and tire right up to the side of the rear subframe rail.  Nothing is seen underneath nearest the front, although the right rear wheelhousing has been cut.  What at point of departure resolutely would not fit now does with comparative ease. In addition and lastly, the aluminum wheel lips seen on the 1:18 Gray Ghost can be employed to help do a pair of AAR 'Cudas in the specification they were most often seen during the 1970 SCCA Trans-Am season.  As always - thanks for indulging me.

Mike K.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:19:14 PM by Swede70 »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 15, 2014, 12:31:39 AM »
Stunning, incredible work, Mike. Where most people would make do with what is available or be content with an off-the-shelf model, you go to amazing lengths to get it right. Your work never ceases to amaze me. Telling you "good job" is not enough.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:41 PM »
Thanks for the kind words,

I apologize that my writing is a bit clunky at present, whereas I hope matters will smooth out a bit for practice and more careful editing.  Below will be noticed a pair of links to the Stanford University Revs Digital Library wherein is contained Karl Ludvigsen's collected work.  I was a bit stunned to notice that the Sports Car Graphic article from 1970 Watkins Glen titled 'Bad Day at Dodge City' which evidenced one or two published photographs here is revealed to be but a slender sample of what is likely fifty to sixty images taken across the race weekend.  

Appreciating that I've been working off of no more than four or five period underhood photographs of iffy quality at best, within the Revs Digital Library four truly outstanding mid-season underhood photo images as well as chassis and interior photographs can be accessed.  I'm quite excited about this, whereas for a sleep-inducing search of the archive opened up to include all photographs taken by Mr. Ludvigsen across the year 1970, it does seem that Watkins Glen and Bridgehampton constitute the only SCCA Trans-Am events he attended that year.  A fast scan of approximately 3,700 images proves as much!   Contemplate inspecting the following if only for the fact that what is contained within isn't exclusively Chrysler material:

Watkins Glen:  https://revslib.stanford.edu/?f%5Bpub_year_isim%5D%5B%5D=1970&page=26&q=Watkins+Glen&utf8=✓

Bridgehampton:  https://revslib.stanford.edu/?f%5Bpub_year_isim%5D%5B%5D=1970&page=2&q=Bridgehampton&utf8=✓

...attempts to create live links failed, whereas I hope these addresses prove sound.

Mike K.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:25:20 AM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 16, 2014, 04:25:58 AM »
I fixed the links for you, Mike.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks Jon M. for repairing the links I provided above allowing for inspection of the Revs Archive/Karl Ludvigsen files,

A time saver here; i.e. so much work had been performed on an item up for purchase that I couldn't refuse it.  Appreciate that no standard-bodied 1:18 second generation Firebird tool exists, hence this project recently acquired constitutes a huge time savings.  In short, an unknown 1:18 diecast modifier ground channels behind the leading edge wheel arch aerodynamic spats of a usual and humble white metal shell to stress relieve sensitive areas of it prior to heating and bending each spat back into a normal/standard Firebird configuration. Intended not to be noticed in the slightest, see too the effective erasure of the rear spoiler in its entirety whilst saving the underlying quarter panel and rear deck profile for the care evidenced - whew!  Reproducing the same effort would consume months I do suspect, while all the previous putty work was removed when the shell was taken to an area media blaster for the usual treatment last week.  What is seen can thus look better in time.

I've quickly refilled the side fender air extraction vents with JB Weld, and have plugged the side mirror and exterior door latch holes for good measure. A shaker hood cutout plug was fabricated and fitted, side exhausts are recycled ERTL 427 Cobra S/C items, whereas yes - the GMP tires are the same size front to rear. The gruesome beginnings of the rear wheel flares do in fact approximate reality, for these were aesthetically challenged on the real racer to say the very least. Laguna Seca was the first race on the calendar for the 1970 SCCA Trans-Am series, while understand that the Trans Am model-specific spoilers were not approved for homologation irregularities cited in tech. at this contest - hence off they came. T-G Racing ended up plugging the shaker hood, removing the spoilers (but for the front lip which was an open area and thus retained), and for their troubles Titus posted the team's only finish for that year.  The side window trim will in the fullness of time be ground flat, the cast-in rubber window seals filed off entirely consistent with a desperate effort to reduce weight.  

For now this model will be parked given other projects have priority, but an intriguing beginning begging to be shared. In the fullness of time I hope to have all the factory blessed and semi-blessed Pontiac efforts in scale from 1968 to 1971, but now back to the E-bodies.  Thanks...

Mike K.

M.K.