Author Topic: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.  (Read 326102 times)

Swede70

• View Profile
Re: Ideas to share concerning 1:18 '67-'69 GMP Penske Donohue Camaros.
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »
Greetings and thanks for kind and informed feedback as always,

Renboard resistant to low tech. efforts to cut and fashion same, hence the material shelved for another time.  Five layers of sheet plastic glued together to form the aforementioned pucks then, with file cards employed to capture the profile of each opening to transfer onto each puck.  A guide coat of paint was used to create a discernable shadow on each respective puck so as to inform what material needed to be filed away as indicated in the photo. The last image depicts two of the pucks in place on the driver's side for material removal and hand fitting, and though early yet, the result affords a feel for that which I'm attempting to do.  Ride height about where I desire it, wheelbase good, wheelhousing space largely good, track not final.  The flares will look much better shortly.  Thanks...

Mike K.

...sorry - a white balance horror show clearly.

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:32:25 AM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »
Well, you are certainly waist deep in the project now!

Nothing to do but full speed ahead. I look forward to seeing how those flares turn out. I think it'll all be good but it'll not have been easy.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »
Hello,

Much work done, and about to cast flares in resin so that they'll be easily reproduced and final shaped with less risk of all that has been done with each to this point. The flares will be sanded to better match period photographs, becoming subtler across days for quite constant adjustments made.  Looking fairly good with new air dam seen, engine set back effected, etc.  Ride height in back a bit high, track front and rear to be wider still.  Thanks and kind regards to the community...

Mike K.

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:34:10 AM by Jon Mello »

wolfmin

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
I remember this car having a very distinct sound, similar to having 180 degree headers.  The exhaust wasn't visible as the car passed like most, just exiting underneath somewhere.

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
Greetings,

It might seem a discreet observation, but such feedback helps!  Indeed, it's well nigh impossible to make out the exhaust configuration across several period photographs seen, with some showing a rear exit configuration that could be mistaken for one or two closely paired pipes.  Casual observers might laugh at such a suggestion, but then witness the exhaust configuration on the T-G Firebird of Jerry Titus at the '70 Mid-Ohio race!    

As the car is currently configured, both exit beneath the passengers side door rather like the '70 Autodynamic's Challenger, itself said to have had a distinct exhaust note for being so-outfitted.  Though not having witnessed the car racing in period, even for inspecting it closely in recent weeks, I could barely make out the exhaust crouching just next to it.  Thanks for the kind remembrances shared...

Mike K.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Mike,

The flares are taking shape nicely...can't wait to see the final setup!

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks for the kind feedback - it always helps.  Modest changes, with R/C aircraft 5/16th inch aluminum rod reemployed for use as headlamp block out plate material, whereas the mounting surfaces for the front turn signals have been ground away.  The GMP 1:18 '67 Camaro radiator switched out for the Lane 1:18 '68 Firebird radiator has resurfaced here, whereas a pair of Harrison oil coolers with the very large and undoubtably butch mounting flanges have been scratchbuilt and added.  Headers are hard to source in this scale, while what can be seen are trimmed down from a modified release of the Hwy. 61 1:18 '70 Challenger.  Lastly, the floor of the trunk area has been rebuilt and plugged for the removal of the cast-in 'stamped steel' fuel tank, with a resin fuel cell housing discreetly visible from behind and below.  Kind regards to the community...

Mike K.

...looking more substantial surely with the revised headlamp plugs.  Glad too to finally remove the remaining plastic that formerly held the turn signal inserts in position.  

...not complete, although a new radiator support is taking shape with the aforementioned radiator and oil coolers taking their place.  Attachments and inlets/outlets to come on the coolers, in addition to the diagonal braces across the front and rear surface of each cooler matrix.  I also hope to add some brass screen in front of everything even though most of it might not strictly be visible.  Mounting flanges for headers to come, whereas I further hope that I can reposition the tubes (or scratchbuild forward of the collectors) to reflect the proper positioning of the exhaust-side ports on a conventional (non-Ram Air V) head.  In addition, some fill panels are slated to be added around each of the oil coolers.  

...very hard to see, but fuel cell housing now visible from below.  Yes, the GTO tailamp lenses will be modified and cut back to reflect what was fitted to a Tempest.  

Thanks...

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:36:49 AM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2012, 05:54:17 AM »
Thanks again for the update, Mike. You've gotten a lot done. I appreciate you filling us in on what's next. I think the headers (while not perfect for your application) will provide a good start and you can doctor them up as necessary to fit your needs. It's definitely better than having nothing to start with.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »
Greetings,

A fast weekend project for finding a second-hand example for not too much outlay of cash.  1:18 Hwy. 61 Smokey Yunick '69 Boss 302 tribute release combined with gloss black painted 1:18 GMP Trans Am ARE wheels and Firestone-marked tires, with the ride height reduced to the extent I was willing to risk matters.  All headlamp lenses removed and replaced with scratchbuilt panels, tailpanel 'MUSTANG' identification touched in with paint for the photoetched letters seemed clearcoated and hence nonremovable.  Fuel fill cap removed and replaced with a small disc of plastic painted to disguise matters, lock cylinders touched in to disguise these, while side marker bezels and lenses removed - albeit some discreet fill panel work still required.  Chassis largely stock, interior stock, hence something of a high dollar club racer.  If you chose to replicate this, know that the structure that normally positions the brake disc and more or less situates the wheel on the hub on the back half of each wheel must be ground off entirely to fit the GMP ARE Torq-Thrust rims to the Hwy. 61 rim 'halves' if all of it is to go together.  I had a set of wheels I pulled from some secondhand diecast model that featured a wheel/tire set quite clumsily installed, hence no great loss to grind said example of what was in point of fact a gluey mess.  Most of this is pretty low-impact, so do consider giving it a go.  Thanks...

Mike K.  

-

...the topic in question.  Allocated to Smokey Yunick, never to turn a wheel in SCCA competition, a very brief NASCAR GT career instead.

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:39:07 AM by Jon Mello »

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
Greetings,

For some parts exchanged, the Gray Ghost is now seen wearing 1:18 GMP '68 Smokey Yunick large-lettered GOODYEAR tires that were arriving onto the scene late in 1970 looking forward.  Given these were afforded only on one release of the GMP Trans Am range, I count myself fortunate to have them.  Pinheads are seen on the front bumper ends consistent with the bolthead detail witnessed on the actual car, whereas the tailight panel has been washed to remove the GTO-specific red lense detail extending further in from both sides towards the centerline.  The rear flares have shrunk a bit further and fit better too near the ends in particular.  Thanks...

Mike K.  

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:40:36 AM by Jon Mello »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2012, 02:57:46 PM »
Mike, the Smokey Boss model turned out great for a short weekend's worth of work. The Tempest model keeps looking better as you go along. Thanks for these recent updates.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2012, 05:25:25 AM »
Mike,

Do you have any pictures of the Smokey Mustang before you worked your magic? Are you putting on the trunklid pins?

Thanks,

Fred

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind notice everyone,

I pounced upon the '69 KK Yunick BOSS 302 quickly, hence a bit of searching online required to find 'before' photos.  The radio aerial was removed, the license plates were also axed, and the strange almost Triumph TR4-like rendition of Minilite alloys too were removed to be discreetly buried in haste.  If I can find suitable photo etch material, I will do the unique decklid pin bases much as you see replicated on the '69 Shelby Racing Co. Gurney Boss 302 depicted below.  Said model has more or less one-off ARE CP-200/Trans Am wheels that I very much wanted and cobbled up to suit this application.  Thanks...

Mike K.

-

...sorry for photo image flare too apparent here.

...it looks better now with the Shelby-specific brake cooling ducts in place.

M.K.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:44:54 AM by Jon Mello »

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2012, 03:40:53 AM »
Very cool stuff Mike!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2012, 11:13:26 PM »
Mike, the as-delivered Minilites on the Smokey Boss are pretty bad and the car never ran with them anyway, as far as I have ever seen. The car looks far better with your GMP Torq-Thrusts and Firestones on it. As for the #2 blue Shelby, that car turned out great!
Jon Mello
CRG