CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 02:37:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
97075 Posts in 11682 Topics by 4578 Members
Latest Member: ronhill
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Originality
| | |-+  68 Alternator Fan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: 68 Alternator Fan  (Read 3438 times)
Ed Bertrand
CRG Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »

I don't think so but it's hard to tell. I enlarged just that area and it looks like it might be the "normal" 2 groove pulley since they look to be "squared-off" edges on the blades and not the "half-round holes" like yours. But again, it's hard to tell from that picture.

Martin, I've never seen any codes stamped on a 68 alternator either, but according to the REPOP HOUSES, they were used. (Of course, according to the repop houses the "Caution Fan" sticker was also used, so there you go!!)

Ed

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:02:19 PM by bertfam » Logged

Ed Bertrand
CRG Member
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »

The alternator fan shown in the photos at the beginning of this thread is a one-year-only design from a '63 Corvette (and possible other '63 usages); easy to identify due to the 13 blades that are all the same size and shape, each with the little half-moon cutout on the vertical edge. All alternator fans from '64-up had fewer blades, with at least two blades (sometimes more) that had a different size and shape, to reduce/eliminate alternator fan "whine" or "moan" complaints. Somewhere along the line the one in the photo replaced the original fan.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
jeff68

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »

The thing is that my father bought this car new.  He never replaced the alternator or alternator fan.  
I hate to replace parts with "correct" ones that do not match what was originally on the car.

68 L30 / M20 Convertible
Ash Gold
jeff68

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »

I don't think so but it's hard to tell. I enlarged just that area and it looks like it might be the "normal" 2 groove pulley since they look to be "squared-off" edges on the blades and not the "half-round holes" like yours. But again, it's hard to tell from that picture.
You're right, it's hard to tell for sure, but I thought they looked like the half-round holes.

68 L30 / M20 Convertible
Ash Gold
Ed Bertrand
CRG Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »

Well, like Kurt said, we really need the numbers off the alternator to see what's going on.

Ed

Ed Bertrand
CRG Member
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: